1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Freeloaders

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ElPadrone, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElPadrone

ElPadrone Aficionado (105) Texas Oct 20, 2009

I dont know how many times people continue to comment on this post with whats already been said. Its not a business, and I do believe I have reiterated that numerous times. And once again, most brew club members pay dues which goes for everything from events, equipment and brewing supplies which make the beer in which they give to their members. No different. I agree with lotsaswigs.......Loosen up and use the forum for what it here for (Info and fun), not to nit pick at every word.

2. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (760) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

It seems to me like this problem could be more easily solved by just not inviting strangers over to your brew days, or not inviting so many at a time. You say people go through 2 kegs in the course of a day? That's 100 pours. That's not a brew day, that's a drunkfest.

Personally, any friend of mine is welcome to come over to my house any time, watch me brew, help or not, and drink my beer. If a person isn't welcome to do that, they aren't my friend. Problem solved.

ElPadrone likes this.
  3. ElPadrone

I hate to say it but the one time we cleaned out 2 kegs brewing was just a small part of that day. It will well after the brew day was over. Nothing like a good kegger when your in your 30s and its with homebrew. It wont happen again. I love to brew and anytime someone has an interest they are welcome to come over and join and are always offered a sample, but I will say again I dont have time to sit and count the amount of beers are being pulled while I am working on 10 gallons of hot wort. Those people have not been invited back. I was just curious from my very first post about if others ever had this happen and how they handled it. Thanks to all who answered my post in a positive light.

4. mattbk

mattbk Savant (425) New York Dec 12, 2011

agreed.

5. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (440) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Maybe next time say in the beginning that you only want replies that agree with your stance.

mikehartigan likes this.
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I think it definitely depends on the person. I have a shitty alcohol tolerance, so drinking while brewing is a recipe for disaster, especially when I'm trying to brew double 25 gallon batches in a day to fill a barrel, even with help from friends. The few times I've had a beer while brewing, when friends come over to help, I've done stupid shit like forgetting the whirlfloc or yeast nutrient, or left a ball valve open while disconnecting hoses from the mash tun/pump, so I feel like at some point I'll do something really stupid and hurt myself. YMMV.

7. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (425) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Friends are one thing, employees, friends of friends, acquaintances who've have asked if they could "watch me brew" are a totally different issue.

MrOH likes this.
  8. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

I don't really have a comment on the money aspect of it, but as far as solving the freeloader problem you could do two things.
    #1 Limit the number of people you invite to brew day. Just invite a few people so its easier to keep an eye on them so they don't get too drunk. Maybe instead of having an open tap only serve beers at certain times, like one when they get there to show what they're going to be making, and another while waiting for wort to boil or cool.
    #2 If these people are coming over to learn how to brew, give them a specific job to do during the process. If you invite 10 people over make a list of 10 jobs that need to be done. If you give them something important to do they'll be more focused on brewing than drinking.

9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (440) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

You make the beer, keep the beer, and people pay to come and drink it, your right that doesn't sound anything like a brewpub.

VikeMan likes this.
  10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I'd think that you're being reimbused for your time and efforts. You're teaching, toutoring, and they can pay you back for the ingredients. While you don't have a liquor license, you shouldn't need one. You're not selling your beer to the general public. These sound like they're friends, or friends of friends. There are soo many loopholes that you can use to not sell your beer. I'd think if you're reasonable with your efforts and reasonable with the cost of your efforts you won't have a problem. I've joined plenty of 'homebrew clubs' for $5 bucks worth of beer for a day of learning.

ElPadrone likes this.
  11. ElPadrone

Thank you inchrisin, couldn't have said it better.

12. ElPadrone

Sarcastro, you're shit is getting old and starting to sound like you have nothing better to than sit on a forum. Move on and be happy! Damn dude, have a few beers and get over it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.