1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Freetail Sept 15th Bottle Release

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by miikezombie, Aug 19, 2012.

1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Posting that list makes everyone want to follow you the walking distance with a U-haul and then well...... Borrow all of your beer :) In all honesty, that is amazing almost everything on there is great or I think will be great and havent tried yet. Someone with a way better cellar than me will make some offers, just starting off.

2. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

I am also thinking of making the drive w/ my bf. Thanks for the hotel suggestions, y'all.

3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Thanks. I have one small trade in the works. I wouldn't mind one or two more.

I plan to bring a few good ones from the list to the bottle share...I haven't fully decided what to bring yet though (I'm open to suggestions :) ). I do have a ton of singles and extras I've received that aren't on my cellar list that I'll be bringing as well. I have lots of those that I need to clear out.

4. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

2006 and 2007 were damn good fresh. 2008 is when they started their downfall.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  5. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I will add my bottles once I figure out what to bring, maybe a bit closer to the event.

6. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I plan on bringing a few RS beers. Maybe a Fantome or 2.

ElkSherpa and texasclimber like this.
  7. LadyOfMuchBeer

I'm just not ready for this kind of commitment!

starkmarvelo likes this.
  8. I could not disagree with you more. 2008 is one of the best vintages ever. 2009 was ok, 2010 was ok, and the last two years are very very meh.

9. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

thats cause you suck! :)

10. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Due to the very limited release of Fortuna Roja, does anyone know how the actual bottle purchasing will work? It looks like things start at 8am, but bottle buying is at 11am. Will the line start at <8am? Never been to this release and will coming from out of town so any info is appreciated.

11. miikezombie

They will pass out tickets. 120 Bottles = 60 tickets They will line us up at 11. Your place in line means nothing without a ticket.

12. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how are they able to sell their bottles at this release? They are selling the bottled at the brewpub correct?

13. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Yes

14. miikezombie

Let me rephrase that. If you dont get a ticket you can still buy all if the other bottles.

15. Azzy

Sorry. I was bit behind on laws. I'm guessing this is able to happen because HB 602 passed, correct?

16. channels321

channels321 Savant (275) Texas Apr 16, 2012

They are allowed to sell their beers on site but nowhere else

17. Azzy

Right. But prior to the bill passing they weren't able to even sell for off premises right?

18. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

I don't believe it's a result of HB 602. IIRC, they (and NXNW here in Austin) were releasing bottles before the bill was even introduced.

19. Azzy

But then, that would be against the law according to TABC, since brewpubs in Texas were not allowed to sell for off premise.. from my understanding.

20. LadyOfMuchBeer

That was still as is now. If you distribute you cannot be licensed sell on site.

21. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Freetail has been releasing La Muerta since 2009. Just because you sell a bottle at a brewpub doesn't mean it is for offsite consumption. Brewpubs have always been able to sell their own beers in bottles and growlers as far as I know.

22. Azzy

But if you don't distribute, you can sell for off premises as a brewpub? Even if you sold at the brewpub. I'm in the industry so I am just trying to get an understanding not trying to be a dick or anything.

I mean from my understanding you are either a producer,wholesale or retail. Breweries are producers therefore they are not legally allowed to sell beer for off premises at the brewery(retail). As a brewpub you are on a retail side since they sell beer to be consumed for the customer (even though they brew it themselves), that's why brewpubs can not distribute in Texas because they would then cross into the wholesale side..

I know, stupid Texas laws. I am just confused because I believe that brewpubs can sell to people to drink in the pub but they can not sell beer to go. (but from what I read, I saw HB 602 allows this). I am just trying to understand. I guess getting sidetracked from the release party.

23. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Thanks! Any idea when the tickets will be passed out? Do they go to the first 60 people there when things get going at 8 or is there some other system set up? With only 60 available, I'm trying to give myself the best odds.

24. vurt

vurt Advocate (505) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Awe-struck bad language. That sounds magnificent. Is that a draft only beer, or is it bottled? And if it is, indeed, a bottled beer, to whom do I start begging for a trade?

25. channels321

A brewery cannot sell on site. A brewpub can only sell onsite.

26. Azzy

Off premises means to consume off premises. Sorry for distracting. Party on and fuck the man!

27. channels321

Well it doesn't matter where you drink it as long as it is purchased onsite. This is obvious otherwise growlers and bottles would both be illegal. TABC is ridiculous in when it comes to these types of situations. It is all a ridiculous setup.

28. miikezombie

It should be the 1st 60 people to arrive. When will the tickets be passed out? As soon as Freetail employees, or Scott, show up. If you miss out on Fortuna Roja you still have the ability to purchase 4 solid beers.

29. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

It's going to be released in bottles on the 15th.

Brewpubs can't legally distribute their beers to off-site bars and retailers. Because of this, they are allowed to sell beer to-go in both growler and bottle format. Freetail has been doing this legally since 2009. It is the only exception to the three-tier system in TX that I'm aware of.

30. mhenson42

Got around to adding my list. Looking forward to the bottle share.:)

bbadger likes this.
  31. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (350) Texas Oct 2, 2007

Are you moving? Unless you are bringing the whole family including grandma and grandpa that's a lot of beers.

32. LadyOfMuchBeer

You may want to edit that down some, you only need to add the bottles you are going to be bringing to share. :)

33. mhenson42

If they don't all get opened and drunk, then I'll be disappointed with the crowd that shows up. :)

There's alot of bottles on that list that I....well my wife....wants out of my refrigerator. lol

34. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

That's cool and all, but damn do I hate seeing 20+ half full bottles of beer sitting on that tasting table at 11 when everyone moves inside to start drinking Freetail beers.

35. mhenson42

That's a good point....I tend to go overboard, lol. I knocked a few off. I guess I'll save a few of the bombers for next time around. There's a bunch of 12 oz bottles on that list - so those won't go too far in bottle share.

36. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I am bringing one bottle, but its a good one plus f'ing expensive. Need to bring the average down after mhenson42 ;)

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  37. LadyOfMuchBeer

I saw your bottle, and I like the way you are thinking!!!

38. jl28r1

I added one, I'll see if I can add another.

39. miikezombie

I added a few things. Will add another when I find it.

40. jl28r1

Fuck it, I'm gonna bring a 20 pack of Bud Light Lime as well as the Dirac just so I can say I brought more beers than Matt! :cool:

jamescain, dumptruck81 and pwsoldier like this.