1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fremont Brewing Announces Official 5th Annual Seattle Beer Week Organic Pale Ale

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by draheim, Feb 12, 2013.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

How can this beer not be good?

http://seattlebeernews.com/2013/02/...th-annual-seattle-beer-week-organic-pale-ale/

And here's the statement from Fremont:
    Seattle Beer Week Official 5th Anniversary Beer
    April 1
    4.5%, Organic Pale Ale using Cowiche Canyon Organic Simcoe & Citra Hops…and in a Can! Can, Bottle and Draught.

We are very honored to be chosen to brew this year’s Seattle Beer Week beer and to honor the occasion, we chose to focus on the organic Cowiche hops and the can. Stay tuned, this one is about to get really fun…​

2. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

For those of you who remember our long lost thread, this beer was formerly known as BDMB#1. Thanks Fremont!

draheim likes this.
  3. draheim

LIKE even more. I don't see an official name associated with this beer. Is it going to be called Organic Pale Ale, or do we know if there's another name in the works? I believe a few folks were lobbying for Haiku, but that seems unlikely...

4. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I'm going to buy six-packs of this. Many six-packs, I imagine.

draheim likes this.
  5. Is this a small batch just for the event, or will get the same distro as their other seasonals? If so, SOMEONES WIFE may be putting a couple cans in the mail!

6. beertunes

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the other SBW brews just being called SBW___.

7. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

What about Split Shot? SBW Split Shot. SBW Haiku?

8. Maritime's SBW beer had a name, too. Decompression.

9. All simcoe and citra pale ale in cans? I'm in for at least a case. Oh and that Decompression ale was shit. Can we just have Fremont brew the SBW beer each year?

10. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

They can trade off with Elysian

11. draheim

Speaking of a local collaboration I'd really like to see...

checktherhyme, jnoble and Smurf2055 like this.
  12. Thanks for the comments. Haiku beer name? Sadly, only on our much maligned thread.

Organic pale ale
    Epic Beer Week
    Need more beer?
    Find it here.

We will can 3000+ cases and distribute state wide (if the plan works). And then? Well, this is also the Cowiche Hop Lab #2 beer we were going to release anyway. This amazing honor came our way and voila, SBW #5 beer. We want to feature the organic hop farmers in WA and show that OG beer can be tasty. Hopefully, Cowiche SBW #5 makes that point...now to craft the recipe....Stay tuned for a super secret release of a sister beer for SBW to be released at the brewery on opening night (May 9th) and very limited...ahem, I mean rare. Hopefully, we will get a good review by our favorite beer expert...if we are good enough. And stop hitting the pipe, fresh pow, salmon runs, etc and just focus on quality and pride in craft for once...cough.

As for Elysian...what can you say? They are amazing. We would love to work with the artists over there and are close to those guys. Someday, hopefully. Tangletown Tango?

libbey, NWer, bgramer and 11 others like this.
  13. BLAMMO!!!

14. draheim

Looks like this one is starting to show up around Seattle. Really been looking forward to grabbing a few cans.

15. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Per untappd, seems like a bust?

16. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

What's a bust? SDW5? I picked up a clip last night and I think it is awesome IMO

17. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Haven't had it yet - just saw some people saying "not hoppy enough".

18. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

They're idiots.

;)

19. draheim

If I'm hoping for a local version of Zombie Dust (approximately) will I be disappointed?

20. I hope not, draheim. However, don't look for us to ever do a beer based on another brewery's beer. We go our own way. That said, I think you'll be pleased. At 4.5%, SBW Pale is a session beer with a balanced hop profile provided by the Citra/Simcoe.

Lazerlobe, OakedCanuck and draheim like this.
  21. draheim

I call shenanigans. This is a very tasty, nicely hoppy beer.

I am pleased. Cheers!

[​IMG]

22. Good to hear. I have never had Zombie Dust but understand it to be good. Feel free to share :)

23. Unawares but very tempted. Where are/will these cans be available beyond the brewery?

24. draheim

Bottleworks and Full Throttle tweeted today that they had it in. The beer guy at WF Roosevelt (who was clearly not pleased when I informed him of this around 5 today) said it should hit wider distribution on April 1.

$9/6-pack @ the brewery.

66jzmstr likes this.
  25. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Found the initial hop burst pleasing, but the following grainy weirdness offputting.

26. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Splitshot is going to be a tough act to follow...

27. Zombie Dust like dumping a bag of Citra dust into a beer and drinking it. SBW5 kinda smells similar, but the taste is totally different.

28. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I for one endorse Fremont's success in crafting well balanced very tasty beers. It doesn't seem to be their intent to blow people away with over the top hop profiles. Plus they have some of the tastiest 4-5% abv session beers to be found anywhere.
    Congratulations in making your own mark in the craft beer world. 100+ IBU beers have their place but it sure is nice having good beer around that doesn't wreck your palate.

29. draheim

Cheers to that. I just enjoyed my third SBW5 (is that what we're calling it?) since Friday evening, and I think I'll go crack open another one right now. I rarely drink two of the same beer in succession but this one is calling out to me.

ArchEnemyBrew and TysonA like this.
  30. Not really

bifrost17 and beertunes like this.
  31. beertunes

I agree. Splitshot was a mess.

TheEarl likes this.
  32. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I can't decide if I like the beer, or the artwork more. Both are stellar.

distantmantra and checktherhyme like this.
  33. The cans are absolutely beautiful, especially when you rotate them in the six-pack rings to have the image extend to all three cans.

bifrost17 likes this.
  34. Absolutely loving this, and I have to say that it is a perfect post-mowing beer.

bifrost17 likes this.
  35. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

[sarcasm] Sorry but I only drink DIPAs, -bal RIS, -bal barleywine, AWA, or lambic/gueuze. [/sarcasm]

36. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

[​IMG]

Seattle Pride!!!

Smurf2055 and libbey like this.
  37. Got a six pack over the weekend. Possibly my new favorite beer! Just fantastic.

38. Aside from Cowiche Fresh Hop, Summer Ale (which is out now!!!!!!!!!) is still my favorite Fremont beer.

sanford_and_son and jag21 like this.
  39. beertunes

I was in Elizabeth Station yesterday, and no sign of it. No love for Tha Ham?

40. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, dude, this is the Seattle Beer Week beer, not the Bellingham Beer Week beer... ;)

bifrost17 and beertunes like this.