1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Fremont Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop vs. Zombie Dust

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by draheim, Oct 3, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Anyone else notice some pretty striking similarities between these two beers? I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were pretty close. Must be the Citra.

Can't say I have a preference, they're both great—but right now I'm enjoying the hell out of a Cowiche Canyon.

2. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Just drank my first Cowiche Canyon and compared to most of the Zombie Dust I've had, I'd say yeah, some similarities, but the last bottle of ZD I had was un freaking believable. Huge pineapple and citrus which I didn't get from CC.

I got a lot of bottle variation from the ZD I've had.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  3. I will do a side by side tomorrow.

For science.

4. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Yeah they do taste pretty similar, but I've gotta give the edge to Zombie Dust. I wish I could get that shit on a regular basis out here.

5. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I just wrote in my review of CC that CC tasted similar to ZD but ZD is less bitter.

I prefer ZD though but CC was quite good.

6. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I haven't tried the Fresh Hop, but I was always impressed at RPM because of the similarities to Zombie Dust.

7. geoffsm12

geoffsm12 Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 11, 2010

Can't say I've noticed the similarities. Cowiche is a great fresh hop beer, but ZD trumps it by far.

8. Bone A Fide vs. Zombie Dust is another one to try side by side.

9. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

ZD is ridiculous! Cowiche is solid - not in the same league though as ZD...I'll drink both anytime!

10. CC FTW! I can get it regularly until it's gone for the season. I can't get ZD except through trade or travel.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  11. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Had a beer by Bale breaker, out of Moxee, Wa, at the Yakima Fresh Hop Festival on Saturday that was as good or better than Cowiche. Their Piled High, Imperial Fresh Hop ale was legit.

libbey and beefandbean22 like this.
  12. That beer was awesome and it was great to see so many people in line for bale breaker. Will definitely be looking for from them in the future.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  13. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

I'd agree to that side by side with the all citra bone-a-fide tony brewed for FW fest.

14. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (310) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Never had the canyon, but from close friends who have taken the trip to FFF brewery and had Zombie Dust say and swear ZD is the best American pale ale they've ever had. Every time the apa topic is brought up they all claim FFF has the World's best pale ale. I'm sure a lot of breweries take inspiration from 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust given its pure class. Not saying canyon are trying to clone it, but if FFF make the World's best apa then that's the route some other brewers may go with.

15. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Yeah, easily the longest beer line of the evening...now the food lines on the other hand..aye carumba!

16. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I think Cowiche Fresh Hop beats out ZD. Wish I could drink either all year though :)

17. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

the beer has existed for one year. it's great, but lets curb the hype a bit

bgramer and draheim like this.
  18. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

To be clear, I'm referring to the Zombie Dust :)

19. Three Floyds hype in a Beer Advocate thread? NO WAY.

With that out of the way, Boneafide is pretty damn impressive, and Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop is awesome.

barleywinefiend and beertunes like this.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Gonna grab a couple FHCC's tomorrow, and should have the Old Schoolhouse by the end of the week. Looking forward to it. Never had ZD.

21. I had Zombie Dust last Christmas while back in Omaha visit my wife's family. One of her cousins and I did a beer swap and brought me a bunch of Bells and 3F beers in exchange for some HotD, a Pliny and Deschutes stuff. I had Pride and Joy, Alpha King and Zombie Dust. It WAS really good, but I still think there is crazy ridiculous hype.

22. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Had a 22 of the FHCC yesterday. Pretty damn good. Also grabbed a Two Beers Fresh Hop and am waiting for the Old Schoolhouse to hit the shelf. Going to have my own private fresh hop GABF, 3-way showdown!

23. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by the Two Beers Fresh Hop. I've had four Cowiche Canyons this fall and maybe it's just me, but it might have been slightly better last year. Still mighty tasty though. Haven't tried to track down the Old Schoolhouse yet; I'm sure there's a bottle waiting for me @ Chuck's.