1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

French pressing FBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by derricksmalls, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Do you even steep bro?

Levitation likes this.
  2. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

Dude ... you think steeping is your ally? You merely adopted the steep. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the non-steep until I was already a man. By then, it was nothing to me!

Your punishment will have to be more severe.

3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Yep.

4. I've done this with bcbs and bitches brew a few times. Loved both

5. Awesome idea. I've used the French press with hops, but never thought to use coffee and stout. I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.

6. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

THC is not water soluble. Need oil/butter/glycerine to extract any of the good stuff.

I've had Ten Fidy through a randall of bourbon soaked coffee beans. Sounded great, but in reality the bitterness of the beans outdid the beer. Too much astringent bitterness and not enough coffee/bourbon. Might have been a different story if the beans were ground, but I'm sure a randall wouldn't like ground beans too much.

7. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

If you're not grinding the beans, all you're going to get is the bitter oil on the bean and not the good stuff inside it.

dap325 likes this.
  8. That's probably like $45.73 right there. Damn Italian prices...

9. wow i am going to attempt this with lavender and ipa. i'm thinking hub would make a great victim for this ;).

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Or larger amounts of alcohol. Upon further research it seems as though the only "good" way to do it is to make a concentrated extract and add that directly to the beer.

11. So Colorado should brew a beer with thc infused into their beta hops?

12. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Yeah damn them! But actually check this out man, Lavazza is actually CHEAPER then some of the American coffee (foldgers ,flunkin gonuts, wawa, etc) Now Verdi is the problem with it being 9.99 for a 11.2 ounce bottle!

13. Prolly not a good idea to put FBS in your Keurig water tank and run it through that way.

14. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Sweet fancy fuckin Moses! Where has this thread been all my life?

Newkidroundhere and philgill like this.
  15. philgill

philgill Zealot (85) Ireland Feb 15, 2012

Absolute genius of an idea. I use an Aeropress for my Filter coffee, advantages over a french press include the fact that the coffee is not squeezed therefore the bitterness is greatly reduced leaving a much smoother, clean cup. As I am on Beer Hiatus until 16th of February the experiment will have to wait until then

16. Ok, so come to find out I was fresh out of FBS. The only stout I had in the house was Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. What the hell, gave it a try. Ground 1/4 cup of carribou coffee(cant remember which roast, probably mohogony) and poured about 16 oz of stout over it in my french press...leaving a couple oz left to compare. The beer foamed up like a m-fer which I wasnt expecting and need to be more careful of next time. Stirred it up and put it in the fridge. Took a shower and had a Red's Rye. Came back 20 min later, pressed down the plunger and poured. Very little head (probly a combo of the foam up plus sitting in french press). Aroma was nice, you could def. smell the coffee. Seemed like the coffee muted some of the sweetness of the beer though. A def punch of coffee in the finish which I loved. A tad flat. I think I'll try again with FBS and make the following changes: 1/2 cup beans for 10 min instead of 20 and pour very very carefully into the french press. By doing this hopefully if will still add the coffee flavor and aroma and help with the flatness. I also hope that the extra chocolate flavor and higher abv of the fbs will hold up better flavor wise against the coffee than the SS oatmeal stout did.

A side note: Overlord replied to my thread, I can now die a happy man!

17. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Bench pressing beer sounds silly to me

18. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

When I clicked on this thread, I thought to myself : "Great, another horrible BA thread to make fun of".

But then I got curious...I really dont use my french press anymore (Chemex every day) but it's sitting there waiting for action. I'm going to use a Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, primarily because I don't care if it gets ruined and pair it with some Wrecking Ball coffee (those in the North Bay should be drinking this). Will report back

19. I bet you don't even like Italian things.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  20. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

No I don't ehhe

21. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

22. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Does this mean I did it wrong?

23. beerborn

This thread has gotten me pumped on a few ideas I'm gonna start this week:

FBS infused with vanilla beans
    Troegs Mad Elf infused with dry cherries
    Brooklyn BCS infused with espresso beans

Only thing I cannot decide is if I should heat the beer (microwave so it doesn't boil off) so that the infusion is quicker/stronger then bring the temp back down and rebottle it or just a cold infusion?

24. I just conducted this experience with much success... Founder Breakfast Stout + a little bit of freshly ground kona coffee beans... Steep for a couple of minutes and poured into a pint glass... Makes an otherwise fabulous beer bit more fabulous... Cheers...

25. How many tablespoons of coffee? I didn't know coffee can really steep with cold water. I'm drying to try this.

26. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

I wouldn't heat the beer -- it seems to absorb flavors just fine with a cold infusion (though you may need to use a larger volume of material).

27. I just did this with Old Viscosity and about 3 tablespoons (coarse ground) of Tarazzu Coffee from Trader Joe's and a splash of Maker's Mark.

I steeped it for about 5 minutes and the coffee is overpowering, especially on the nose. Still 100% enjoyable, but surprising because Old Vis is so robust to be begin with I didn't expect it to get lost so quickly.

EDIT: Just added about .25oz of home-made vanilla extract (vanilla beans soaked in vodka) and it's rocks fairly hard now.

28. I used two table spoons which is what I typically use for 8oz of coffee... I went light to be cautious, though I could have gone three and probably been okay... The process adds a little coffee flavor and a certain robustness that isn't present otherwise, it doesn't suddenly become a coffee bomb... I may experiment with some Wake-N-Bake I have sitting in the cellar...

29. macster

macster Savant (310) Florida Dec 16, 2003

Can't wait to try this. Love coffee Imp Stouts!! I have a Baratza grinder so you can adjust the coarseness of your grind. Should take care of any bean grinds ending up in the beer.

30. beerborn

Thanks for the tip, I'll go ahead and try doing them cold

31. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

32. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

and some 3/8″ ID beer line, a CO2 tank, a regulator, gas line, sanitizing solution, siphon hose, a beer keg with coupling…

33. The whole foods in PM has a fusion tower. They put FBS through whole beans and oatmeal. It was very good. I think a soak in whole beans might give a better result than ground.

I have seen a small infuser that hangs off the side of your beer and you fill it with whatever.

Enjoy