1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Freshness of double/imperial IPA question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Winkdaddy, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I guess my thoughts are...it depends on the beer. Something like 120 Minute, does it really matter? PTE, for me, it did. As most DIPAs do. Odell Myrcenary is certainly very drinkable at 4 months but fresh, it's the reason I place it so highly on the DIPA chain of command.

cavedave likes this.
  2. This is the best discussion on hop forward beers and aging I've ever seen. Good job beeradvocates.

cavedave and grandmeaulnes like this.
  3. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

I had 5 or so month old union jack and double and they both tasted great. Like you, I have only had them this way, which makes me want to taste them fresh all the more because...

4. More hops were added to balance the increased malt/alcohol content. The higher alcohol kept it for the long voyage and the hops balanced it. But I doubt back then they were worried about hop profiles ha ha! At least that's what I figure! Same for RIS. Larger malt quantities added to increase ABV and make them last longer.

pdbader likes this.
  5. I had a six year old dipa, it was terrible.

6. the 2 worst beer experiences i've had involved stale Harpoon IPA and Smuttynose Finest Kind. Since then, i make freshness a high priority when it comes to IPAs.

7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I always think that the hallmark of a well brewed beer is that it can stand a touch of age while staying tasty. Of course, freshest is best, but a beer shouldn't be good when it's super fresh and mediocre after a few months.

8. Truth