1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fridge to room temp. Any issues?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by OldBluesPlayer, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Well, here is my predicament.

I have a few bottles of beer that have about 17% alcohol content and another bottle or two that have around 10% alcohol content.

They have been stored in the back of my refrigerator (in paper bags so they were not exposed to light) for about the last 3/4 years.

It looks like I am going to have to take them out of the refrigerator for about week. They will be about room temp during that time.

Is that going to degrade the quality?

Thanks and best regards.

OBB

PS: I need to start hanging around here more often. :)

2. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

In the big picture, it won't make a difference - particularly with the 17% beer. But if you're concerned, surely you could prevail upon a friend (that you trust) to borrow a bit of refrigerator space for a week.

3. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

I don't think it will matter much. Sounds like your beers are pretty hefty. They tend to stand up well to temperature changes more so than the lighter alcohol beers (in general).

4. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Aug 14, 2012

One week won't hurt them as long as there are no large temp swings on a regular basis. Put them in the coolest area of the house. No need to worry, cheers!

5. Wouldn't a lot of this depend on the style of beer? Also many liquor stores store their beer at room temp. exposed to lots of light and it probably was delivered on a refrigerated truck. I was under the impression dark cool areas are best for aging, not the fridge.

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

No. It will be fine.

7. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

^^^exactly

8. My question is similar to Old Blues Player. I just found the last six-pack of Bell's Brewery Expedition Stout and the last bottle of Three Philosophers (2012) down in my local store! They've been in the store refrigerator for awhile and I need to put them in my closet until I get a mini-fridge. Wouldn't that hurt them? Not to worry, the room temp is at 68 degrees consistent and they won't see a ray of sunlight.

Any opinions???

9. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i have the same (hopefully not too dumb) question. i just got some Parabola that was refrigerated. I didn't put it in a cooler or anything for a long drive home. i'd prefer to store it in my "cellar" as opposed to my fridge. will that be a problem? or would it be better to get it back in the fridge?

thanks in advance. i appreciate it

cw577enfield likes this.