1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Friend Traveling to Minneapolis - Looking for Surly

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by dman127, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dman127

dman127 Savant (250) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

I have a buddy who will staying near the Metrodome this weekend. Would like him to pick up so Surly for me. Hoping he can find some fresh Furious, Abrasive and Cynic. Are these realtively easy to find? I don't want him to have to drive to 10 stores.
    Any help or recommendations of bottle shops nearby the dome would be appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Dave

2. have him go to Zipp's, which is pretty close to there, then have him go to Townhall and he can enjoy some good beer himself.

gatornation likes this.
  3. dman127

Thanks - are Furious, Abrasive and Cynic typically in stock this time of year?

4. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Yes, and I second Zipps.

5. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Yeah furious and cynic will be zero problem. Zipps will also have abrasive, but you role the dice with freshness.

6. dman127

Thanks all - freshness is key - is Abrasive old at this point? Sorry, not familar with Surly's schedule.

7. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

No, Surly cans Abrasive once a week, and it is so popular that it doesn't sit on the shelves long (especially at a store like Zipps that is heavily frequented by the beer geek crowd). The oldest Abrasive I've seen on the shelves this year was a mere three weeks old. Usually, I find it at about a week and a half old.

Revenant likes this.
  8. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (400) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Even if it's a month or two old, which it shouldn't be, the can keeps it fresh longer than a bottle would.

9. dman127

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

10. I stopped at Zipp's today (2-11-13) on a trip from Seattle and picked up some Abrasive dated 1-24-13. Pretty fresh. I also picked up a bottle of Smoke.

11. mcdillon27

mcdillon27 Initiate (15) Feb 12, 2013

one thing to keep in mind is that surly is unpasteurized so it has to stay cold. if he's driving, he would need to bring a cooler. if flying, it likley won't be good by the time it gets back.

12. so those cans that I have had in my closet because my fridge was full for a few days and then drank were bad? a few hours in a plane isn't gonna wreck them, it isn't a microwave that goes to 100+ degrees and flooods them with light.

13. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Exactly. Next time you better just drain pour them or you could get beer poisoning.

14. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Right. I brought some Furious and Coffee Bender to Shanghai last spring and they were both still quite delicious, especially compared to Tsingtao or Tiger.

15. I cracked open a can of Abrasive that I had in my crawl space from last December. The space doesn't get over 70 degrees and not lower than 60. The Abrasive still tasted great!!

16. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Come on, we aren't talking about unpasteruized milk hereo_O

17. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I just had a 5 week old abrasive and a 3 week old hopslam last week and the abrasive was better hands down. <2months on abrasive does not make a big difference in my opinion. (and Im a hard core fresh hop hop head).

All the beers you are looking for should be readily available at any decent liquor store here in the twin cities. As others have said Zipps is a good place to start.

Dont worry about it getting warm for a day or 2. I wouldnt want to store it warm for an extended period of time, but a few hours or a day traveling wont ruin anything.

18. dman127

I appreciate the input. He will be driving from MN back to Chicago. I'll see if he can pack in cooler, but I doubt when France44 ships Surly it is chilled during that time, so a few hours in the car should be OK, cooler or not.

19. So, all the Surly Abrasive I have shipped via Fed Ex went bad????
    :D

20. got to die of something, right?

21. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

It's the freaking middle of winter! Unless they are going to be storing the beer next the exhaust manifold of a '67 Corvair idling in Death Valley, then there shouldn't be any issues.

Hopsiam14 and KarlHungus like this.
  22. dman127

Hey Guys
    Thanks for all of the help. Got a 4 pack each of Furious and Abrasive chilling in the refridgerator!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Bildo and Revenant like this.
  23. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Yuor stronger than me to have it in the refrig untouched by consuming hands. for some reason my surly loses a can when it goes in the fridge when i get home from the liquor store.

dman127 likes this.
  24. dman127

It was actually in the fridge at work.....but had my first Abrasive once I got home! Awesome stuff.