1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Friend's going home to Washington, what can I ask them to bring back to the UK for me?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 16, 2012.

1. What is says on the label. I like stouts.

2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Also, the Abyss was just released and should be available in the Seattle and Tacome area fairly soon.

That being said, a bit more information would be helpful. When exactly will your friend be in Washington and what part of Washington will he be going to. Unfortunately, there's a rather dramatic difference in the beers available dependig upon whether your friend will be staying the Seattle/Tacoma area, or some place like Waitsburg.

beertunes likes this.
  4. Not sure yet but I already have someone else going back home to Oregon on the Deschutes case :D

5. Seattle and anywhere around Puget Sound apparently. Plus i'd like to add that as this is a favour, nothing too expensive/hard to find within washington, I don't want to take the piss with her. Cheers.

6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Pike XXXXX Stout is solid but not extraordinary, and very easy to find.
    AleSmith Speedway Stout is great, and recently started popping up in Seattle.
    Deschutes Abyss would be a no-brainer if timing is right.
    Deschutes Obsidian is everywhere. It's not my favorite but a lot of other people seem to like it.
    I also like any variant of Great Divide Yeti, and Port Old (or Older) Viscosity is good.
    My top recommendation, Parabola, seems to have finally disappeared @ most places.
    BCBS should also be hitting stores in late November/early December. It won't be around long.
    Oh yeah, and Sierra Nevada Narwhal.
    EDIT: For those of you who would point out that only one of these beers is brewed in Washington, yeah, I know. I know.

7. Duh. We all know there is no rare beer from WA.

bifrost17 and draheim like this.
  8. draheim

Fixed that for you.

9. How you could forget Elysian Dragonstooth is beyond me. It's very good, inexpensive, and to be found everywhere.

Smurf2055 likes this.
  10. Lost abbey serpents stout is usually hanging out on shelves and I think it's great. One of the only LA beers I'll actually pay for.

11. draheim

Because I haven't reviewed it yet. I just looked at my reviewed beers. You're right, though. This one is on my list.

12. Well, let's get on that. Sheesh.

13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Trumpeter Stout from Skagit, Oatmeal Stout from American and Oatmeal stout from Boundary Bay are all very good examples that age well. I've got some 09 Trumpeter that's tasting real good these days.

14. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

The trumpeter is indeed a very yummy stout. Before the days of the Abyss and Walkingman Jaywalker, it was pretty much my favorite NW impy stout. Very tasty stuff...

15. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

And very reasonably priced. All 3 are great values.