Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

From Chicago to LA

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by UnderJoath, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hey folks. Chicago BA here coming through LA from the 7th to the 11th. I'm going to be staying with a buddy of mine and mainly using him and his vehicle for transportation. Planning on hitting The Bruery one night and at least one of the beer bars while I'm down there. Any other suggestions? Would be willing to do some IP trading while I'm there as well but like I said, transportation may not be the most flexible. Can't wait!

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (425) California Jul 1, 2009 Verified

What city you'll be staying at? If your anywhere in the OC I would def stop in Beachwood BBQ Seal Beach or the Long Beach one is good too. SB has a better bottle selection while LB has all their beers on tap. Both have outstanding guest beers and food.

3. LA is a huge area so some specificity to where you're staying would be useful for recommendations. If you're anywhere near the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo Beach), check out Naja's and Monkish (if you're a Belgian fan). The Beachwoods are great as well. The Seal Beach location has a great bottle list with a lot of rarities. Since you're going to The Bruery be sure to go about 3 miles west to Bootlegger's in Fullerton.

4. I will be staying in Van Nuys but should be out and about most days.

5. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Boneyard Bistro in Sherman Oaks.
    Tonys Darts Away in Burbank.
    These places are your friends and very close to Van Nuys.
    You aren't a bad drive over the hills into Hollywood for Surly Goat.

Zhiguli, Wowcoolman and UnderJoath like this.
  6. Tried to make it to surly goat last year but it didn't open until later than I anticipated. Appreciate the tips!

7. Hey UnderJoath, I will be visiting Chicago the week of March 11-15th. Where are some good bottle shops and how hard is it out there to find 3F Zombie Dust, Bourbon County Stuff, Hopslam, etc...?

8. Boneyard bistro.

That's all you need.

You'll never leave.

9. Vendome on riverside(bottle shop)
    Blue Palms on hollywood
    Instant Replay on Saticoy

10. Zombie Dust is hit and miss. When a store gets it in, it is usually sucked up pretty quick. Bourbon County is usually hard to get but I know a place that still had some as of a couple weeks ago. If they're dried up, I have some 12 and 11 still and would be happy to help a brotha out. Hopslam will most likely be sold out by then. It is pretty scarce right now but you MAY be able to catch it on tap somewhere around the city. When your trip gets closer, shoot me a message with where you'll be staying and I'll try to give you a good idea of where you should go to find what you're looking for.

11. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Aficionado (220) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Hit Father's Office in Culver City. They always have a great tap list with Pliny pretty much always on tap. Get the Office Burger, simply amazing.

12. I've got quite the list forming. I love options! Thanks everyone :)

13. Coming soon, but not coming empty handed!
    [​IMG]

14. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (615) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified Subscriber

Some other options, as far as bars, Blue Dog Tavern (just a few blocks from Boneyard Bistro) or on the westside of the Valley, Instant Replay in Canoga Park. Some bottle shops on this side, Green Jug, and Liquid, Wine & Spirits. There is also a Total Wine in Northridge that has good stuff as well.

Boneyard bistro & tony's darts away are also solid choices, just bare in mind Los Angeles, as a county, is freaking huge, and we can have awful traffic at times, ok nearly all the time. So, something that may say it's 25 minutes away on google maps, may take longer via freeways. However, all of these suggestions in the San Fernando Valley (Van Nuys is nearly dead center in the valley) can be accessed by surface streets, rather then freeways too.

15. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

my choices by proximity to .. "it's niiiice... to live in van nuuuuys"

Boneyard
    Local Peasant - mostly year rounds
    Tony's Darts (best in valley for me)
    Blue Palms
    Surly Goat
    Lucky Baldwin's on s Raymond in pasadena.
    Daily Pint
    Father's Office SM
    Library Alehouse

for bottles.. closest to you is Valley Beverage Co. really good actually.. and Vendome riverside of course.

i friggin hope you didn't drive across the country to hang out in the arpit of la (the valley). got down south into civilization. (laurel canyon is your friend)

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,440) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

You mean Toluca Lake?

17. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Savant (350) California Jul 26, 2011 Verified

Dont bother with Blue Dog (IMHO). Overpriced as hell. Boneyard, Tony's, Blue Palms, and Instant replay are all much better with better taps and better overall service and atmosphere.

18. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

sorry, yes.. on riverside/cahuenga i meant.

19. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Advocate (645) California Jul 7, 2012 Verified Subscriber

Mohawk Bend is really cool about 80 taps and rotate
    also Sunset Beer Company is right up street more like a coffee/bottle shop has 5 or 6 taps and you can buy bottle and open in there it is chill
    they are in Echo Park not to far from van nuys with no traffic
    also Stone tasting room in pasadena is option get growler and beer
    if go there you have Haven Gastropub
    and Congregation Alehouse
    both within couple miles

20. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (615) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified Subscriber

I agree, but honestly, the food at boneyard Bistro is not exactly cheap either, lol. Though I do go to Boneyard more, admitedly, then blue dog, just tossing another option out there, that's bit closer then say Beachwood bbq, Verdugo, Surly Goat, even Blue Palms to the OP if he is in Van Nuys.

21. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Savant (350) California Jul 26, 2011 Verified

I hear ya on the food prices at Boneyard, but 1. BBQ is always pretty pricey. 2. Its delicious and 3. With $2-$3 taster pours, you can try a lot of beers for a decent price. The one thing that is great about Blue Palms is its super easy to take the subway to.

22. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Advocate (570) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Check out http://www.beermenus.com/cities/chicago when you get to town. Quite a few bars and bottle shops keep their selection up-to-date, but it always pays to call ahead and they might just set aside a 4, 6, or case for you.