1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

From faucet to growler

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by inchrisin, Jul 31, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

I've bottled beer from kegs before and I'm very comfy filling growlers from a picnic tap. I've never tried to go from a faucet to a growler. I'm interested to know how you guys fill to the top. I think I'll take a similar approach to filling from picnic faucet to bottle. I'll chill the growler in the freezer for half an hour, drop the pressure in the keg to about 2psi and put a rubber tube around the outside of the faucet. I'll pour it slow and hope for the best. If anyone has a better idea please feel free to share. If not, what size ID hose do I need to go around the outside of a standard Perlick faucet?
  2. DougC123

DougC123 Member

I fill growlers right from the faucet, tip it and fill to the top. Cap on the foam. Why would you drop the pressure?
  3. stupac2

stupac2 Member

The effort you need to expend depends a lot on the growler. One of those 750 HF growlers is a total bitch to fill. Pallas are tricky. But the standard 1/2 gal is actually pretty easy, you don't need to drop the pressure, you don't need a hose, just put it under the tap and go. You can do that with the others but you'll waste a bit more beer.
  4. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

The beer is already carbed. Backing the pressure down prevents the top 1/3 from being foam and wasting beer by filling past the foam.

Why do restaurants/micro breweries use a hose?
  5. DougC123

DougC123 Member

If your system is balanced the top third shouldn't be foam. My system is balanced and I can get a beer filled growler with a half inch collar of foam to cap on. The hose is intended to minimize the exposure to air. Without a hose the beer is exposed to air as it enters the neck of the bottle and heads to the bottom. With a hose the beer is dispensed under the existing layer of beer and therefore doesn't get exposed to air.
  6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

I use a hose and fill from the bottom up. No need to reduce the pressure. I lose, at most, a few ounces of beer as the foam overflows - I stop when the liquid starts to escape. I've done it without a hose, but the overflowing foam near the end makes it difficult to get any more beer in.

A big difference between filling growlers and bottles is that a growler is generally intended to be consumed in a day or two. It's not for long term storage. This means that oxidation and sanitation are not major issues.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

I knew I was being too picky on the guys who don't homebrew. :) Any idea what the ID is on that hose so I can grab some at Lowes? It sounds like I'll be finding an old bath towel to stand on when I fill.
  8. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Well, not all of them do. And the reason is that you lose less beer that way, and you don't need to pay as much attention. But if you're careful you won't lose much beer, and paying attention isn't problematic when you're filling at home, as you don't have customers lined up who want beer. Well, I would imagine.

As for the ID of the tube, why don't you just remove the faucet and go buy some? Or you can probably look it up at one of the large homebrew supply stores, I bet they sell growler tubes and mark down what taps they fit.
    inchrisin likes this.
  9. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

Not sure, exactly. It's two pieces that I cobbled together from tubing I had laying around. There's a 2" piece that slides onto the spout (Ventmatic faucets), and about a 18" piece of something smaller that fits snugly inside the first piece. I'm guessing maybe 1/2" OD, but I'm not sure (same as the ID of the first piece). For growlers, the ID is not too important. If you have removable spouts, take one with you so you can size it up in the store. FWIW, I also use this to fill bottles quickly to bring to brewclub meetings - no excessive foam and no need to wash the Beer Gun.

As to standing on a towel -- the hose is long enough to reach the bar sink next to the faucets, so I fill them there.
    inchrisin likes this.
  10. DougC123

DougC123 Member

Don't use tubing from Lowes. You need food grade tubing from a home brew store or similar.