1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frozen beer

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rutager, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Another BA and I are doing a trade next week for some beers that won't last until spring. I know it's a risk with a good possibility that the beer could freeze but it's led me to wonder, has anyone had this actually happen? I've done a couple cold weather trades and everything has worked out fine but I'd like to know your experiences, good or bad, with cold Canadian winter trading.
  2. I also am interested in this;)
  3. I've done trades with my buddy in Calgary in both December and February with temps across the provinces (I'm in Ontario) hovering around lows of -15 celcius, as well as with my brother in Kelowna in December with similar low temps in the eastern provinces. We ship using Uhaul shippers and have always used Canada Post requiring a signature so the box doesn't get left outside. No freezing has occurred, but that being said, I'm still always nervous anytime a shipment is sent when temps are low. I suspect the biggest risk is if the parcel is loaded in a truck at night and left outside in cold temps to be delivered the next day. Is it risky? Yes... But (knock on wood), I've had no problems shipping during the winter season.

I too would like to hear if someone has actually had a beer freeze?!
    Rutager likes this.
  4. I went to university in Manitoba and the winter my freshman year was one of the coldest on record. I didn't have a fridge and would cool my beers down by putting them in a plastic bag and hanging them from a tree branch or putting them in the snow. Average temperatures were between -30 and -50C, and I would leave them out there for a good 30 minutes to an hour sometimes; only once did I open a beer and found it 1/4 frozen (I too was under the impression that beer was basically unfreezable). It was only a DAB though, so no huge loss.

In any case, most my >5% ABV beers stood up to a 45 minute stress test in sub -40C weather. I think any of the beers you mail won't be faced with such extreme temperatures in the back of a postal van, especially if they're well packed and insulated. Fingers crossed though.
    Rutager likes this.
  5. I had a box freeze and break a couple years back. The trader shipped his end over a month late and an early cold snap hit, I've heard similar stories.
    Rutager likes this.
  6. Shipped quite a bit with cold weather and so far nothing bad. Let's hope it stays that way.
    Rutager likes this.
  7. Where is it coming from and going to? Sometimes it is just a matter of looking at the forecasts. I just had two boxes arrive form California with about $300 worth of beer and there were no problems. But, I was very careful to watch the weather and have him ship only when it looked safe. I know that it takes 5 or 6 business days for beer to get from CA to NY, so I had him ship on a Thursday so it spent the weekend at a shipping facility out west where the weather was much milder.

If your trade is a inter-Canada trade, it will be a lot riskier. But it sounds like you are dealing with IPAs so your only choice is to take a chance...
    Rutager likes this.
  8. Thanks for your feedback everyone!!

I wouldn't want to trade anything unreplacable or valueable in the winter, but I'm not going to worry too much about doing this if the beer won't last 'till spring. I've spent a lot of time in Vegas over the years... ;)

Great advice about considering where it might spend a weekend! I've thought about that myself and am glad T7D mentioned it.
    TheSevenDuffs likes this.