1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frozen Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ivegotmule, Jun 23, 2013.

1. So last night I accidentally left 2 Modus Hoperandi in the freezer. They did not bust but are rock solid. I read many postings about this but it seems like there are mixed feelings. Some say it will be just fine. Others say it will be flat and taste different. I'm obviously going to drink them when they thaw to make my own opinion, but I was thinking if they are just fine, would this be a reasonable way to preserve freshness on IPAs? I do have some that were not frozen to do a side by side. Whatcha think?
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Put in fridge and let them thaw, they won't be flat, Modus is in cans right? There is nowhere for the CO2 to escape so when it thaws the CO2 will dissolve back into the beer.

As far as making a habit of freezing as a preservative? Nah, I wouldn't go that far.
    joelwlcx, Geuzedad and Hotmetal1 like this.
  3. Auggie Busch thought so:
    Of course, his outfit's freezer is a bit more sophisticated than the one found in the average beer geek's kitchen...​
    kojevergas likes this.
  4. I agree that freezing beer would probably preserve it, just like freezing other food & drink, but why not just drink the beer while it's fresh?
    Sunsetvenice28 and alex_hart like this.
  5. That's cool. I figured I wasn't the first to wonder.. Any word on if it worked?
  6. Say in January, I would buy as many Hopslams I could find, but you can only drink so many cases in 2/3 months.. I could possibly drink it all year if this worked?
  7. RJM

RJM Initiate (0) Djibouti Jan 20, 2013

I've had year old hopslam before, it ages strangely well, though it develops barleywine aspects over time.
  8. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

If I habitually froze beer I would be most nervous about bottles breaking. Also, if you freeze cans the frozen beer would expand the can leaving empty space when it thaws and some CO2 would remain out of solution
  9. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Hopslam is in bottles. I'm not sure if I would freeze bottles as most if not all would break.
  10. I have accidentally frozen many beers trying to chill them quickly and have never had a bottle break. (This was back in college so mostly PBR and Southpaw). But the cans don't appear to be swollen from the freezing. I guess the taste will tell, but they are in the fridge so it won't be today unless I want Modus Slushy.

11. I had a Weihenstephaner hefe slushy (by accident) once and it wasn't half bad
    MaxOhle likes this.
  12. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Really? Every time I've frozen a can the top, bottom, or both has popped out
  13. No visual breakage, guess I'll find out for sure when they are liquid again. It's not like they were half frozen either.. All night set at -2F. Maybe the abv is high enough to protect them?
  14. Frozen Beer... it's almost 100F/37C outside, let's take a step back and percolate brain fluids. How about some sort of IPA beer slushy, beer snow-cone or beer flavored popsicle.
    5thOhio likes this.
  15. As slush, I guess it would still have alc in it. Completely frozen it would just be a hopsickle (don't sue me Moylans) with no alcohol.
  16. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

There's nothing wrong with freezing beer...I actually purposely froze some Wookey Jack in attempt to make my own Ice Distilled Wookey and I think it actually tasted better...

No damage at all...
    [​IMG]

Results of 6 bottles...
    [​IMG]

Still held Co2...
    [​IMG]

Cheers!
    joaopmgoncalves and mythaeus like this.
  17. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I once accidently froze a Dale's Pale once. I took it out of the freezer and mixed it up with the rest of the six pack. Couldn't tell the difference. They'll be fine.
  18. The only thing I would see possible is the freeze caused an air leak in the cap and when thaws its flat. Though rare as they usually burst.
  19. Update; both were exactly as should be.
  20. Just popped a forgotten "new" four month old Zombie Dust I accidentally froze. Yeah...its awesome and fresh still which is a pleasant surprise because I haven't had any for a good month or two.
  21. I believe water expands to about +10% in volume when frozen. Beer is mostly water so most of the volume expansion is still there. Depending on how full is a can/bottle and if it is strong enough to withstand the expansion, it will break or not. I'm not sure how much of a difference carbonation makes, but generally gaseous substances slow down more the colder it gets.

Whatever beer you froze may have tipped that limit, while Modus Hoperandi did not.

Al
    aderousseau likes this.
  22. I guess you missed the post about beer head foam being frozen at Dodger Stadium.
  23. Freezing beer in glass is taking a chance. Also - the higher the abv, the harder it is to freeze. I have personal experience. I believe the best way to try to preserve the beer and still have no worries about broken glass, leakage of CO2 or taste is to keep it at 33 degrees. Just like Coors Light.
  24. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

My beer fridge is shot - suddenly regardless of temp setting, it froze everything except beers over 9%ABV.

My cans of Hopnotch and Anti-Hero froze solid, so did my Hop Rod Rye, DFH 60 and Trestles.

After the beers thawed I tried a Hopnotch and a Hop Rod (one of my fav beers) and they both sucked something awful. I'm glad some of you posted decent results, my experience wasn't quite the same though.
  25. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

I used to investigate damaged loads of beer and this included frozen beer. My experience with 12 oz. twist off NRs was that the crowns would be pushed off the bottles. I never saw any broken bottles but I'm sure that broken bottles will result if the crown seal is stronger than the bottle. As for frozen cans, usually the tops and bottoms get pushed out. The can seam on top eventually gets distorted and then the can leaks its frozen contents.
    My experience with excessively hot product caused by a malfunctioning pasteurizer: The bottles blow up in the pasteurizer; the cans bulge out at the tops and bottoms and then the score of the opening feature blows out.