1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Frozen during fermentation

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kdb150, Jun 17, 2013.

1. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Due to a mishap with the settings on my temperature control device, I ended up cranking the temp in my chest freezer down to a cool 2 degrees F roughly 36 hours after pitching my hefeweizen; it already had a nice krausen that was still growing. Fortunately I caught it the same day about 10-12 hours later, and while the bottom of the bucket had begun to get slushy, it wasn't frozen solid. I decided the best course of action was to RDWHAHB, so I simply sloshed it around, left it out overnight in my 72-ish degree basement, came back down the next morning, and it was bubbling away as if nothing ever happened. It is now back in my chest freezer at a not-so-cool (relatively speaking) 64 degrees.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm expecting this thing will fully attenuate, but weizen yeast can be a bit finicky when it comes to the flavors it gives off. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, was there any noticeable difference in the final product?

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I haven't frozen my beer before, but yeast should be able to hang out in that condition for a short period of time. I'm not sure if you're going to get more clove or more banana from what you've done to the little guys.