1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FT: Bourbon County Rare ISO: mostly Imperial Stouts

Discussion in 'ISO:FT (Beer Only)' started by JAramini, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I made a post fishing for a value on Rare a month or so ago since I don't frequent the trade forums and was trying to decide if I should attempt to trade it or not. I've decided I'd rather have many bottles of good beer of varying rarity than one whale. I don't expect someone to have everything I list as a want, and some may be overreaching, I'm not well-versed in matters of rarity. This is mostly a list of "beers I've always wanted to try but haven't had." A couple are essential and are indicated as such. If there's a rare/prized RIS I've missed it may be an oversight and I might still be interested. Likewise with the hoppy beers. Also, barrel-aged versions are always nice and can be implied as wants, but I'm mostly cool with the non-barreled versions. Also, I'm not just a ticker, I'm a drinker, so multiples are never a bad thing.

My wants/gots is not up to date. But, if you wanted some locals too, there's not much here that'd be super prized by any of you. It's your call. Shoot me an offer and when I pick one that sounds best we can work out if we're doing extras, but I have a pretty sharp drop off in interesting once we move beyond the Rare.

ISO:
    Dark Lord (must have)
    Darkness (must have)
    Zombie Dust (must have)
    Hunahpu
    Kate the Great (from a non-infected batch)
    Black Tuesday
    Chocolate Rain
    White Rajah
    I also enjoy Pliny and Hopslam, but have had them enough that they're not super sought-after but I'd never turn any down.
  2. Hope your inbox is cleared out.
  3. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (435) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Very nice offer!
  4. I like everything about this. That being said, once you mentioned "when I pick one that sounds best" you opened yourself up to the potential of frustrating your potential trade partners. Not saying this will go the way of an "auction" style ISO:FT, but be prepared that there may be some frustration involved with 'picking a winner'. Good luck OP!
  5. JAramini

I don't like the "auction" of it either, somehow seems gross to me, but I'm an infrequent trader who happens to have something valuable and may never have such solid trade bait again and was amazed at the offers before when I innocently just wondered how valuable it might be. So, it might be my only chance to try some of these. And, FYI, I did have two and drank one.

Additionally, I mean it when I say "must have" - I'm not considering any trades that don't have DL, Darkness, and Zombie Dust (maybe without ZD since I'll probably eventually get it when I'm in Chicago, but I'm frustrated by being unable to get any yet).

So, yeah - the person who offered me Zombie Dust and Hopslam alone - that's not going to work for me.
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Hahaha - surprised someone tried that. Actually no, I'm not.
  7. Were any of the later batches of Kate infected? I know that some people say 09 but I think it was just a bit off and overly vinous, not infected. I haven't kept up with recent vintages so I'm not sure about any QC issues. You might want to skip the 09 in favor of another batch but I wouldn't want you to pass up on good beers if they're being offered.
  8. I had someone send me an offer that I think was intended for you. It's a nice one, I encouraged the sender to message you with it.
  9. JAramini

Sorting through these offers will be a full time job - I have a lot to go through.

Some great offers.

As much as I'm rubbing my hands together in anticipation of a crazy package of beer, I will feel somewhat like I'm doing a good deed rather than just keeping both bottles for myself.
  10. Kate 09 is the only batch ever to have an issue, and even then, it is definitely not an infection. The port just aged a bit wonky, but it was still delicious even 2.5 years after release, which is when I had my last bottle. I'd certainly attribute a bit less value to an 09 than other vintages, but an 09 is still more valuable than anything else on the above list.
  11. JAramini

Cutting out any offers that didn't include at least DL and Darkness still left me with 13 offers. All very good. Trying to figure out who to trade with.

The top two offers I got are both from people that list themselves as already having Rare, so that gives me pause... at work, I'll be in touch with people and try to get this nailed down by tonight.
  12. Noooooo! Share the wealth!
  13. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Have fun with your auction
  14. It's not really an auction, he posted a quality-for-quantity deal where he was offering the quality (which is pretty rare, usually it's the other way around) and not surprisingly got bombed with offers. The OP is pretty specific about at least some aspects (Dark Lord and Darkness mandatory) so it's hardly "FT: Rare ISO: Best Offers!".
  15. cetherid

cetherid Savant (385) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

it's not much different than someone putting up a trade and saying "Wow, lots of responses. I'll go through these tonight and respond to everyone tomorrow"

Then behind the scenes the person just sifts through the emails looking for the best offer, takes it, then just responds to everyone else saying "thanks for the response but someone already contacted me before you".
  16. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

I'm new to this, so I have a rookie question...

Is it an unwriten rule that the first reasonable offer submited to a somewhat specific ISO is automaticly the winner?

Just want to avoid get on the wrong side of anyone if or when I post a trade.
  17. JAramini

Likewise, I don't frequent the trading forum. I've got tons of great offers and am in a position to choose what sounds most attractive. I'm not shooting for "I need the most and rarest offer" I'm shooting for "these are things I think I'd like."
  18. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

In my opinion if you have an ISO that doesn't contain lists, and it is a simple 1:1, 2:1 etc trade that is spelled out, if you get 10 people that say yes to that offer, the first person who contacted you should be who you deal with. I am sure people might disagree with my thoughts, but if you are looking for a very specific deal, someone offers it first, they should win. If you list 15 things FT, and ISO 15 things, then obviously someone who offers later on may be a more efficient trade (receiving higher wants, more bottles to reduce shipping, someone you have previously traded with etc.).

I like to think most people on here try and use a bit of common courtesy when going through BMs in response to their ISOs. On the other hand, there are tons of people here strictly to maximize the value of beers they have.
  19. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

Ok, that's how I had assumed it would be. Thanks for the insight!
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

SO an auction with a reserve, basically. That's what we have here. I don't care in the slightest, but let's not fool ourselves. Seems to be the way it works anyway.
  21. JRSD

JRSD Aficionado (150) California Oct 27, 2006

My theory has always been that you accept the first offer that satisfies you. If you have several in your inbox by the time you go to check it, then look through them and choose. If none of them are what you wanted hold it open or try to negotiate.

What I am not in favor of is getting offers for beer you asked for but then continuing to hold it open while hoping for something even better.
  22. JAramini

I have 20 offers in my inbox that all have Darkness, DL, and Zombie Dust. So there's a bit of deciding- do I want a BA Plead the 5th or a Hunahpu or a Black Note as an extra? So I've corresponded with a couple people, it was a lot to plow through the inbox.
  23. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

It's not an 'extra' if you get to pick what it is
  24. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I mostly agree with LoPo87 and JRSD about first-come-first-serve, with the minor caveats that I might do a little vetting / reference checking before committing to the first reply, and also an IP offer will usually trump a faster reply.
  25. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Reading through this thread I now understand on a deeper level why there are many formerly active BAs who no longer trade on the site.
  26. JAramini

Made a deal. Thanks for the interest all. Legitimately weighed on my conscience. It was going with an amazing offer from someone who has a bottle or a marginally less amazing offer from someone who didn't.

Also, incidentally, the guy I'm doing the trade with was the second offer to hit my inbox.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.