1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Beer fridge nothing to drink!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigGene, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

This happened to me last night. Tough day at work, I get home and head to my beer fridge and all I have cold are Stouts, Belgian Darks and Barrel aged stouts! Come on I just want IPA or a Lager or a pale ale. I decide on a Nectar Ales Black Xantus. I get half way through my first pint and I am just not feeling it.

So I say DAM wtf am I gonna do with this now. So I pour it back into the bottle and use a wine topper. Hopefully I will feel like drinking it tonight.

Basic question, you ever go to the beer fridge and just done feel anything in there. I am in one of those funks and I am barred from the bottle shop until after Huna day!!!!

djschnabel, Hopsiam14 and Kyrojack like this.
  2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

It may have happened once or twice but when it does that's what the liquor cabinet is for.

3. BigGene

I wish it were that easy, I have never been a Liquor drinker, Maybe a nice Grand Mariner, but that's it.

4. Barred from the bottle shop?

What about the corner store? Sounds like it's time to brown bag it to me.

5. galvetraz

galvetraz Aficionado (115) Texas Sep 7, 2009

Ha ha, absolutely! I opened my fridge one night last week and looked at some of my regular favorites and felt the same way. A couple of fingers of Blanton's on the rocks did the trick. I don't have a designated beer fridge but I always have 6-8 to choose from and lean toward porters, stouts and browns. Sometimes you just have to throw your body a curve ball I guess.

Snikwad1020, stooge and docnose like this.
  6. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

I've gone downstairs for a beer sometimes, stared at the fridge and cellar contents for 10 minutes or so, and come up with nothing.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I like to have diversity in what I buy, I have probably 15 different styles available in the fridge right now so I don't run into this issue.

8. Yes to this ^ With the addition of my wife yelling "what are you doing down there, I thought you were just getting a beer?!?!" to me

9. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

what'd you do to get barred from the shop?

10. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

Happens all the time. You just gotta make sure to transfer a wider array of stuff from the cellar to the fridge ahead of time.

BigGene likes this.
  11. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

This has been happening to me a lot lately. I'm trying to spend less money (not barred), so don't have fresh IPAs on hand much these days and craving them at will. Several nights I've done the stare at the closet (full of 10% abv and higher beers) and then either not had a drink or said screw it and opened a small bottle of something (BCBS, FIS, etc...) Finally snapped and bought my standby a few days back (Odell IPA, which is now gone).

BigGene likes this.
  12. BigGene

1-Barrel aged Bif 2.0 (spent alot)
    2-Went to SC release beginning of the month. (Spent waayyy too much)
    3-Going to Hunuahpu's day, (Going to spend too much)

I drank all the IPA's and Pale ales I brought home from NC/SC and from my last 2 trades. The majority of my cellar is Stouts and Sours (not a huge fan of the sour but learning).

Drank my last ZD and Alpha King during the Race Sunday. And I packed up my last Jai Alai cans in a trade Sunday night, I even thought to my self last night, Dam if only I hadn't dropped that box off I could have taken out the Jai Alai and put other extras in. FML!!

Now if I could find someone wanting to trade CCB regulars for Three Floyds regulars, I would be set.

13. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

It took awhile for me to explain this problem to my girlfriend. When I would say I needed to pick up some beer from the shop and she would respond "you don't need any more you have plenty in the cellar."

Beer Snob Problems

jgluck, malvado78, calcnerd and 5 others like this.
  14. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (320) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

Exactly!

Zimm, Holmes698 and BigGene like this.
  15. Always have Sam Noble Pils on hand = Problem solved!

16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Moments like this are why I just randomly buy six and four packs of local IPAs, just to have around. Whenever I drink my last one, I stop at the store the next day and pick up some more. I like to keep a nice variety in my fridge at all times.

jaminjohnson and BostonHops like this.
  17. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I try to keep a couple of Sucks sixers in the fridge...sometimes I stay with Sucks all night and sometimes I pop something a little bigger. I definitely know the feeling of staring at your beer fridge/cellar and seeing a shit load of beer but nothing looks good. I've found Lagunitas Sucks is my cure all...it's never not appealing. If I don't have Sucks then it's Racer 5...basically finding that everyday beer for you will eliminate drain pouring a quality beer you're just not feeling that night...

18. I'll try to keep a decent variety in the fridge, but lately I know the feeling. I haven't purchased any beer in a while because I've been doing a cellar cleaning. I feel like all I've been drinking for the past couple months are barley wines, old ales and imperial stouts. I'd say that if that's all you have in your fridge now, drink em soon because you won't want to drink them when the weather starts getting much warmer.

19. Really? I drink Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, etc. in the spring and summer every year.

20. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

More often than "selection paralysis", I just <gasp> don't feel like having a beer at all (I know...burn me at the stake). But I will still go stare at the shelf just because... So for me, this more or less takes care of itself - I try to maintain a critical mass both in terms of volume and variety so I have plenty to pick from. Usually not too difficult to find something that strikes my fancy.

21. I do on occasion too, but I mostly switch to lighter bodied beers during the summer: Kolsch, Pale ales, Wheats etc. I get no enjoyment sitting on the beach when it's 90 degrees outside drinking a barrel aged barley wine.

Mikecap and ESeab like this.
  22. ^^^ Yes!....this is my life too. Thank god I'm not the only one.

23. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

^^^^Yep, especially when I'm supposed to be grabbing her a beer too. We'll be watching a movie and I say, "I gotta grab a beer." She pauses the movie and turns on something else because she knows it'll take me a long time to choose, and then on top of that to pour, take photo, post to untappd :)

24. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This. Maybe not that many styles, but different beer in general. Before I just had a variety unrefrigerated, then decided it was time clean out an old college mini fridge and to hold a small amount, about 12-15. I always have at least two different stouts/ipas then a variety of brown, pale, barley wine, or whatever.

Funny thing about the Black Xantus, I was in Miami last week and always wanted to try this beer. I found and bought it along with a mix a six of beers Ive never had and 6 pack of Jai alai. I got so cold sick that day that I didn't want to drink anything but water the rest of the trip. I only packed a carry on so couldn't bring it home. $40 of beer left for a friend, at least it didn't go down the drain. (I told him to save the Xantus for my next visit since it won't go bad, doubt that happens though)

BigGene likes this.
  25. ceight

ceight Aficionado (120) New York Apr 29, 2012

Definitely. Sometimes it's the wrong style, and sometimes I realize I just need some beers I don't feel "bad" drinking. I have a whole shelf of awesome beers for tastings, or aging or whatever. I'm not going to open a Fou' Foune as an after work beer.

dckepley likes this.
  26. I only drink on the weekends, but even then I only drink when I'm craving something in particular. If I'm not craving something, I don't drink just because it's my routine to do so. Than being said, I have started a beer that I was in the mood for only to loose the desire to drink it half way through; if that happens, I just finish it and am done for the night.

JxExM likes this.
  27. Guilty as charged. Full fridge of beer and I just stand there with the door open staring like an idiot. I always find something, but sometimes I have to talk myself into it.

kevanb likes this.

28. Haha, if you lived closer, I'd say we'd have to have you and the little lady over for dinner some night! SAME thing here, except I don't have an untapped account.

29. This is why I have a cellar and a fridge. The stuff for aging goes in the cellar aka closet, and the stuff for drinking now goes in the fridge so i typically have a random assortment of CCB, Sam adams and whatever else I've bought recently kicking around in the fridge.

JxExM likes this.
  30. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

On a side note, I need to stop drinking good beers when I'm 'fuzzy'. They defiantly don't taste the same and I wasted my first Cappuccino Yeti and Breakfast stout the other night from it. (I didn't drain pour, but a milkshake would have been the right beverage of choice)

31. I'm pretty good at drinking the beer in my fridge.

tronester, JxExM, njhopspop and 2 others like this.
  32. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I do this all the time, I could hold the door open for ages and just look in and think about what I would like. Here's some strategies I use.

1. Think about what all is in your fridge and try to decide before you open the door. So as standing in front of an open fridge doesn't look so odd. We can conceal our insanity a great deal this way.

2. Always plan ahead by looking at the beer menu when out at a bar well before your first beer is gone.

3. Take a photo of your stash, so as to quickly reference it when on the couch.

Another problem I have is when I want a beer, but all the ones in the fridge were either expensive or bombers. And all I want is something easy. Something I won't obsess about by looking up, reading reviews, and tempted to write reviews for. Ticking is work at times! :)

Kyrojack likes this.
  33. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Savant (470) Indiana Oct 9, 2012

I literally say the title of this thread every time I go to grab something haha.

jgluck likes this.
  34. This tends to happen to me a bit because I'm always spending my beer budget (which seems to keep getting bigger!) on limited/rare beer, and then I get stuck in the conundrum of how I really want to drink what I've bought, but I know I should be aging it or at least saving it for a special occasion! I think I just need to buy a case of Nugget Nectar the next time I go to the store so that at least for a while I won't have this problem! haha

35. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

I always need a balance: some pale ales or IPAs, some porters/stouts, and some stuff that is at least 8% and above. That reminds me - I have no sessionable porters or stouts in my fridge! :(

36. That's why you need to invest in a 2-tap kegerator like I do. I always have an IPA or PA on one and a Porter or something dark on the other. That way if your fridge has nothing that is enticing that night, you have something to go to. Best investment I ever made. Always have 2 bullets waiting

JxExM likes this.
  37. I only drink at night (on weekdays) so...I make sure I have a craft or German lager on hand. Its always a go-to when you want a beer but don't want to crack into something special.

38. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

I hear ya. Cellar full of stouts. Want an IPA. Girlfriend says, "You have enough and spend too much money on beer!"

MisterBisco likes this.
  39. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (505) New York Dec 23, 2005

This sort of thing happens to me all the time. . . . I have a fridge full of, say, leftover summer beers (e.g. Pilsners, lagers and Wheat Ales) early in the Fall and I'm craving a Brown Ale or Octoberfest, yet I open the DBF and find. . . . nothing. Or on the flip side, it's hot out and all I want is a quick-and-easy thirst quencher, so I go to the DBF in the cellar, open the door. . . and stare at bombers of 12% ABV barleywines, 10% Russian Imperial Stouts or 10% DIPAs. . . . Predicting the "beer mood" that I will be in at all times (and then having the appropriate supply on hand) is not as easy as it sounds. . . .

Willbfun and SadMachine like this.
  40. I'm not sure anyone is out drinking Barleywines in 90F heat on the beach. AC is a wonderful thing. ;)

tronester, JoeyBeerBelly and Craigory like this.