1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Beer fridge nothing to drink!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigGene, Feb 26, 2013.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Happens all to often.............. but, I'm all over the place......... very hot and cold............ one moment its a $25 bottle from the bruery............... and shortly thereafter its a cold PBR:confused: ............... I know............. don' ask?

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  2. I keep Mad River Steelhead and Sculpin at all times as my "bud lights". Not so much because I don't want to drink my whales, but to prevent myself from doing it.

3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

this is when I grab a warm sucks bottle and speed chill the bad boy by burying it amongst the berry bags in the freezer. 30 min later I have a lovely chilled brew.

jgluck and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  4. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

That's funny I always wished someone would send me CCB for all this Alpha King I can buy but where could I possibly find a person like this hmmm....I wonder.

BigGene likes this.
  5. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

I like to have a nice selection available at all times. I'll always have pale ale's and IPA's on hand when feeling something after work. Then I have Stouts, barley wines, old ales and strong ales available for when I feel like having those as a night cap or feeling something to warm the bones on a cold NE evening.

6. There is no such thing!
    I try and drink my IPA's like they are hot fire, So i usually don't have any in my fridge either. Right now its pretty saison/sour centric!

7. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Must be a Seattle thing. :confused:

8. tlacott1

tlacott1 Aficionado (130) Maryland Jun 16, 2012

Happens to me all the time. I try to always have a cold IPA sitting in there for me though since that is my go to style.

9. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

We can trade CCB regulars for FFF all day man. Just let me know.

10. blckout20

blckout20 Savant (280) Connecticut May 24, 2012

Not a full fridge...but it is crowded with beers that were given to me by less beer-inclined friends. It's tough because I have a good number of beers in there that I've tried and just have very little interest in ever having again (e.g. Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout). I don't want to come off like a beer snob, I have no problem throwing back a few macros when I'm with friends but these sub-par "craft" beers seem to stick around forever.

11. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Does the light really go off when the door closes? Or do you keep it open while you're drinking in there so it doesn't get too cold?

12. I've done that plenty of times. The last time I had mostly Belgian strongs and darks including most of the St. Bernardus variety pack. I had downed a 64 oz. growler of Apt. 12 a few nights prior for my graduation party and the last thing I wanted for a while was anything Belgian, especially St. Bernadrus.

13. Absolutely has happened to me as we'll. I just finish it the best I can and just switch over to something else whatever it may be (and sometimes just water because I'm so craving a fresh IPA and don't want to waste something else if I'm not in the mood for it.)

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  14. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

I've got a tiny mini-fridge I can't afford to update, so I'm frequently challenged for space and therefor selection. More often than not I do buy a variety, as suggested, and then drink through everything that sounds good at that point, leaving stuff I'm either not in the mood for, or beers I'm saving (usually to pair with a certain meal). It all works out eventually, but it does lead to some nights where I just keep opening the fridge, and then closing it again without getting anything out.

15. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Like Ken Griffey Jr? I'd say he was pretty grand. And also a Mariner.

JxExM and looseteeth like this.

16. Time for a new girlfriend :)

WoodburyMN likes this.
  17. This has happened to me quite a few times and recently, especially with all the higher abv beers I've bought this winter. I stare at five different types of RIS, six different brands of DIPAs, a few different barleywines, and I'm like, shit, why can't I pick one? I was so excited to buy each one of these at the time, and now I can't decide, plus I really just want a lower abv beer like a pale ale, but I don't have one. Such problems. This is literally the only place to be able to complain about this. Thank you.

18. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

19. Totally get it. I try to keep a variety in my fridge, but then wind up only drinking Sucks. Pretty soon the fridge is full of stuff I'm not that in to.

20. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

[​IMG]
    I've annexed my girlfriend's fridge as well.

SpunkyHopslammer and looseteeth like this.
  21. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Ah Hell, this speaks to me, but from a different angle. I got plenty of great beers sitting around...KtG, Black Tuesday, King Henry, Darkness, Dark Lord, BCBS, Melange3, KBS, etc, etc...but I often find myself unporepared to come home from work and just be able to simply grab a nice 12 oz something-or-rather out of the fridge. I know, "cry me a river." But it is a little funny when I have my wife's go-to's ready to go in the fridge, but I don't have one for me...

22. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

That's the biggest fucking bottle of lemon juice I've ever seen. Should I even ask?

fredmugs likes this.
  23. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Now I want a hotdog. Thanks a lot.

24. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Like others, I have too many expensive/rare beers in my cellar that aren't really fit for casual drinking.

That's where homebrew comes in. It's the perfect disposable beer when you get home from work and just want a drink (that is, it's cheap and better than BMC).

TheGoldsmith likes this.
  25. Make friends with other beer drinkers and trade up. :)

26. This looks like my fridge. Lets see.. Hummus, Hotdogs and Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale. ;)

27. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

"Damn it. I need a fiver to tip the valet but all I've got in my wallet is a bunch of hundreds."

28. JTBruin8

JTBruin8 Zealot (90) Georgia Feb 5, 2011

This happens quite a bit ... as the kids get older, my share of fridge space is shrinks ... I try to keep a wide range of styles, but occasionally what I'm really after is in the cabinet above the fridge mocking me.

29. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

I have a mini-fridge from college that I have in an alcove of our living room. It's stocked with many different styles of all different size bottles. My issues is actually making a decision. I sometimes spend time thinking about it before I open the fridge, while I am staring into the fridge, and even after I have made a decision. Too many options can be problematic at times!

I actually use Evernote on my iPhone/ipad to write notes on a beer (due to convenience) and I have a note on there with my fridge's inventory. It makes things A LOT easier, but I still find myself spinning my wheels over what beer to drink...

30. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I have looked and decided against anything I have mostly I've been thinking of my lack of lighter beers coming for warmer whether I have some hopslam but it just doesn't taste good to me I would like to gt rid of it, but then again I can't imagine pounding back rochfort 10 in 80 degree weather, or old rasy

31. This has been happening to me a lot lately. I decided to finally combat it by keeping a sixer of something easy drinking to keep my brain nourished while pondering my next brew.

This time I picked up a sixer of red chair nwpa. Magic hat is my other go to or a SN. Oh, and I know it's blasphemy here but sometimes ddrinking a BMC is all that's needed to reset the palate.

32. ah, this happens to me too. but what happens more often is this: i'll stand in front of the selection in the fridge, could be 20 different beers in there. i ask my wife, "what do you want?" she replies, "BEER."

33. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

That happened to me last night.
    Most of my cellar is all barrel aged and/or "big" and dark beers, and I really wanted an IPA.

I ended up going to Total Wine (about 5min from me) and picking up a Hop Manna, a Crooked Tree, and a Scotty Karate to try later.

My other problem is that sometimes I just want a 12oz beer and I have a lot of 22oz and 750ml bottles that I end up not drinking.

34. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

The size of the bottle can definitely be an inhibitor. I recently stopped buying so many bombers and 750s. I still buy them but put the emphasis on 12oz bottles, as a fridge full of bombers and 750s makes decisions tough, as I am taking alcohol content, time of night, etc. into account. Far too many variables haha. I keep some Sixpoint cans on hand at all times and love having at least one type of low alcohol pilsner or porter in the fridge.

ao125 likes this.
  35. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

how long do those IPAs and Pales hold up in your keg? how long do they last?

36. I avoid this problem by only buying things I want to drink regularly. I'm not interested in shoving a super deluxe rare oaked unicorn-tear infused smoked porter in my fridge and just staring at it for two years.

jgluck likes this.
  37. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

If I'm not drinking beer or coffee, my drink of choice is lemon juice and water.

I go through a lot of lemon juice.

38. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Ok so I fat fingered the I and the N..... Marnier... you guys happy now!!!

39. My problem isn't as much "nothing to drink" as it is "what to drink". I'll often stare at the 100 or so beers in my fridge, sometimes passing on a heady, hoplsam or kbs and instead going with a flower power or ten fiddy, only cuz i can't replace those hard to find seasonals so easy.

40. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Right now my fridge is full of stuff I'm saving for special occasions (BA barleywines and big stouts mainly) ...and it's now taking up about 75% of my beer mini-fridge. I don't really keep a "cellar" since my supply usually fits in there, but I think I'm going to have to start stashing some of my stuff elsewhere.