1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Beer fridge nothing to drink!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigGene, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

First world problems on an epic scale.

kevanb, dar482, jgluck and 2 others like this.
  2. The beer is fresh for 5-6 months but I try to polish off the IPAs in 45-60 days so they still have that hipy goodness. I recruit my friends to help out

dar482 likes this.
  3. dubinsky

dubinsky Savant (330) California Sep 16, 2009

I have the same set up. That fridge is a full size fridge with the top shelf full of large format beers and i have a second small visi-cooler full of 12oz beers. I can't begin to tell you how often I stand there looking at my collection and feel guilty about opening any one of them. Then I realize I have a PA and porter on tap. Problem solved.

Beerd_O and dvmin98 like this.
  4. er...hoppy goodness

5. Beerd_O

Beerd_O Disciple (50) Michigan Feb 6, 2013

I keep a couple of kegs of homebrew around for those moments!

6. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

For all of you saying that the answer is Home brew!! PFFFFT!!! I don't have the time or the patience to home brew. i have a few freinds that do it. But they seem to all brew browns, stouts and porters. So I would have been in the same boat.

I do respect the avid home brewer, I just don't have the patience.

7. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I totally under this. Sometimes you just want a simple drinking beer you don't have to focus all your "beer nerdiness" on. I always try to keep a good supply of simple session beers on hand for just this reason.

8. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

I got fed up with this and made it my NY resolution to always have sixers around. Des chutes and FW sixers on rotation ever since. It's important to have this

jgluck likes this.
  9. jgluck

jgluck Aficionado (210) California Apr 19, 2012

This used to happen to me all the time, so I made a NY resolution to keep a lower inventory and turn it over quicker. Limit myself to a couple dozen beers in the fridge to choose from, and another dozen or so in my makeshift "short term cellar."

By only buying what I see myself drinking in the next few weeks, I force myself to plan ahead and I don't end up with beers past their prime.

The exception are big beers that I'm intentionally aging, which instead go into my longer-term cellar. That cellar is a 20 minute drive from my apartment, and only open from 10am to 6:30pm... Talk about planning in advance... (thank you Los Angeles heat + traffic)

If I still can't find something to drink at my apartment, well then, it's my own damn fault.

...I'm also guilty of sometimes crash chilling beers between frozen peas in the freezer

10. Zhiguli

youre paying for beer storage? Wine hotel?

11. jgluck

jgluck Aficionado (210) California Apr 19, 2012

$6 a month for up to 50 bottles in temperature/humidity controlled space. sure beats them getting destroyed in my tiny, non-AC apartment in the summer (which is the majority of the year here) - and I can afford the $6.

TheGoldsmith and Zhiguli like this.
  12. I used to have this problem, but I have been really good at keeping only a handful of beers in the house at one time. I try my best to drink them all before I go out for more.

13. I've had it happen once or twice...usually when the fridge gets to full of Beers I'm aging or waiting on for a bit and I forget to leave space for the occasional IPA.

14. Zhiguli

That's good stuff, cheap. I'm content with the closet here in weho, never seems to cook my beers.

15. BigGene

WTF!!! No!!!!! I could live in Alaska and I will still have AC. Nope not gonna happen, wouldn't be prudent!

jgluck likes this.
  16. Quit buying beers you have no intention of drinking within a month or two.
    Problem solved.

17. lsiberian

lsiberian Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 11, 2013

Sounds like my wife and shoes. Just pull one out and get to drinking you'll be happy you did. Or you can always ship me some of them. I know just how to take care of them. :)

18. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Happens to me often. The wife complains because I have to go to the store to buy beer. She says, "you have two refridgerators filled with beer. Why do you need to buy beer?"

19. I have never opened my fridge and failed to find something I wanted to drink.

You're doing it wrong.

20. BigGene

When I got home tonight.... Score The woman had purchased a 4pk of Jai Alai White Oak. OMG no need to stare at my fridge... I know what Im drinking.

21. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

I always have some lighter/hoppier stuff in the fridge, with my darker/ageier stuff in the beer storage. When my hoppy supply drops to 2 bottles, I restock. Problem solved.

22. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

This happened to me, especially when I was just starting my career and i was broke. I plowed through cases of Imp Stouts, sours, BW's, etc like it was my duty to. Fuck it beers here to drink!

23. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Too often lately I have been saying, "I can't drinks that beer tonight, these beers are to limited. "

24. For a second I thought this was a thread I started cause that always happens to me.

25. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

As others have stated, I love variety and always have a selection to fit all my moods. When I imbibe, it's IPA-lager-stout-pale ale-saison-porter-belgian-DIPA-Impy stout. Not all of these in the same night and not necessarily in this order, of course. My point is, a have a varied selection of all the styles I enjoy- all the time. The wife doesnt complain as long as I don't complain about her "tendencies".

26. I think I've heard my wife say this "beer talk thread" almost verbatim 10 times.