1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full flavored lower abv beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dumptruck81, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Kind of an ISO thread. What are some of the better fuller flavored lower abv beers? I love beer but I find myself usually seeking out the bigger flavor higher abv stuff and I don't really want the abv, just the flavor. Looking for beers sub 5%, 7%, 8%, etc...

Knowing what little I do about brewing I know that you can mash in at a higher temp leaving more body/flavor with less abv. I know there are other ways like hop/other flavor additions/mouthfeel ingredients to achieve great beer with lower abv.

Gumballhead, stone vanilla smoked porter, jk commercial suicide, and sours are the good ones I can think of.

2. Notch Polotmavy

Edit: Actually, Notch anything.

3. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Lagunitas Day Time Fractional IPA

4. Atwater Vanilla Java Porter is 6%

powz87 likes this.
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If Fullers London Porter is available around your area: stock up. It's my go-to beer for when I just want something dark and flavorful without breaking the ABV bank.

ZethOfTheNorth likes this.
  6. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Guinness! You can eat that beer with a fork!

7. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is like 5%.

DrDemento456 and mecummins like this.
  8. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Advocate (525) New Jersey Feb 23, 2004

Carton Boat Beer was the first thing that came to mind. I think it's only available on tap though.

jlenik likes this.
  9. This may or may not be something you're interested in, but I brew largely (though not exclusively, by any means) low-gravity (3-4.5%) English ales. Missed my OG on a standard bitter a few weeks ago and it's only 2.99% abv, but has an IMMENSE amount of flavor for the gravity. If you're really into low-grav. beers, take up homebrewing and brew whatever styles you like, in lower gravity. Works great for English, German, and many American 'styles' as well! Plus, since there are often less fermentables, unless you late-hop the crap out of these brews, they're some of the most economical to brew as well!

BILF and dumptruck81 like this.
  10. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'm really interested in heading that direction. My goal so far is low abv quads, trippels, stouts/porters, hoppy brews, and sours(when I get there). I'd like to try some commercial versions first to get more ideas though.

I realize things like quads are generally meant to be bigger high abv beers but I figure you should be able to somewhat duplicate the taste without the high abv.

11. ISA and Berliner.

12. Berliner Weiss' are amazing, especially Solstice d ete from Dieu Du Ciel! Also gueuzes and Drinkin in the sun from Mikkeller

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  13. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

DFH 60 min. 6%.

14. TravisR

TravisR Savant (355) New Jersey Dec 31, 2012

Stone Levitation. Delicious and 4.4%

15. Miller lite, I tried it after the second hops version came out but now with the new triple hops version, well all I have to say is all other beers need not apply!

16. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

FFF Pride and Joy pale ale.

17. In terms of quads, but with lower alcohol, there are some dubbels out there that get SOME of the same flavors, though part of a quad's flavor profile comes as a result of the bigger malt character/alcohol. I particularly like Goose Island's Pere Jacques, at 8% (it may have risen in the newest batch, I'm not sure). At around 2 years old though, it's pure, toasty, malty, fruity gold. Love it. Also, maybe look at St. Bernardus 6 and 8, especially the 6, which is only 6.7% and really tasty.

18. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

These are all around 5% abv or so and I usually always have some of these on hand at all times:

Stone Levitation
    Lagunitas Daytime IPA
    Yards Philly Pale Ale and Brawler
    Full Sail Black Lager
    Victory Headwaters and Prima Pils
    Founders All Day IPA
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
    Kostritzer Schwarzbier
    21st Amendment Bitter American
    Half Acre Daisy Cutter
    FFF Pride and Joy and Gumballhead

Many others I am missing I am sure. Cheers

Bitter_Echo and Profchaos20 like this.
  19. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Fullers ESB, Founders Porter, Anchor Porter, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Rodenbach Classic and Grand Cru come to mind.

20. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout is delicious and doesn't break the bank.

yuriruley, UHCougar12 and BladeRunner like this.
  21. I, too, brew a number of low-gravity beers (usually between 3.0 and 3.5%). Can you in all honesty say that you can see these finding any sort of purchase in the current U.S. craft scene? My smoked mild, though bursting with flavor for such a "small" beer -- and easy to knock back 5-6 of without feeling intoxicated -- would hardly make a ripple at what passes for a "tasting" among beer geeks these days. Sorry, but I never see low ABV beers in the UK style catching on here.

22. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Taras Boulba by Brasserie de La Senne--4.5% Belgian Pale Ale, amazing when fresh: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16320/32846

Four by Upright--excellent, slightly funky yet crisp saison also 4.5% (their Five might be even better): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19866/49537

The Entire Butt by Salopian--how can you resist the name, right? Historically, this was the name given to porters that were a blend of ales (or, so the back of the bottle tells me), and this one is very complex for 4.8%: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/282/771

And some love for a couple local breweries....
    Gossamer by Half Acre--solid summertime crisp blonde ale that is loaded with delicious, and only 4.2%: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18006/54770

Well Read Temptress by Pipeworks--these guys bounced back from the first bad batch of Blue Lady with a really well done Berliner Weiss, made with raspberries: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/86321/?ba=cnbrown313

There are so many more, but these are some recent examples I enjoyed. Except Taras Boulba: I had that first a few years ago and I would buy it by the case if money allowed!

23. Deschutes Obsidian Stout - 6.4 I believe, very tasty and not too expensive.

24. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

Firestone Velvet Merlin 5.5%

25. Otter creek stovepipe portah at 4.4%

26. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat oatmeal stout....5%

jmbranum likes this.
  27. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Founders All Day IPA, New Holland The Poet.

Bitter_Echo and GR_Rick like this.
  28. Sadly, I largely agree with you...why I gots to brew my own, as this is what I love (two trips to England got me hooked!) just as much as the big beers...

29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I don't target by ABV, but Gumball is an incredible brew. Wish it was in a can, the perfect beach pool beer.

30. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I second Buffalo Sweat. Great flavor and so creamy.

If you can get Two Brothers ' Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale, you should give it a shot. It comes in at 5.9% and is an great example of a Biere de Garde.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  31. Agreed. Had Cerne Pivo on tap the other night. Not a style everyone appreciates, but that's a damn solid beer.

In a similar vein of dark lagers, Harpoon's Munich Dark is a pretty easy drinking, fuller bodied beer and perfect for the winter.

32. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Almost all lambic, gueuze, kriek, and many saisons....

33. Brooklyn Lager
    Smuttynose Robust Porer
    Sam Smith Oatmeal stout

34. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Captain Lawrence Freshchester Pale Ale = well-balanced APA, $10/ sixer (5.6% ABV)
    Ommegang Witte = really, really solid witbier true to style but unique, too (5.2% ABV)
    Sixpoint Sweet Action = best cream ale I've ever had, $8-10/ 4-pack (5.2% ABV)
    Weyerbacher Verboten = very flavorful and spot-on Belgian Pale Ale (5.9% ABV)
    Stillwater Beer Table - Table Beer = one of the funkiest, brettiest things I've ever drank, but pricey (4.7% ABV)

And as mentioned above, Victory Headwaters Pale Ale and Prima Pils are both excellent.

35. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

That's one of the oldest Guinness myths and just plain stupid. BA's should know better.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  36. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

English Milds are below 4% and very hearty and flavorful. There are some excellent American craft Miles on tap, if you can find them.

37. Drakes Alpha Session and Lagunitas Daytime IPA. Cheers!

38. DamianX13

DamianX13 Aficionado (165) Texas Sep 18, 2012

Black Butte Porter. 5 %

StoutChaser7D likes this.
  39. While not available to most BA's because it's produced by a nanobrewery in Ephrata, PA, I have to give a shout-out to St. Boniface Bulls Head Mild. Made for the Bulls Heads Public House in Lititz, PA, this mild is full of flavor, but is somewhere in the 3% to 4% range. A wonderful session beer!

40. tonight i'm drinking Smuttynose Robust Porter. 5.3%