1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Pints at Provisions...

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BeerShman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. BeerShman

BeerShman Savant (265) California Dec 14, 2010

So, posted via Facebook...
    https://www.facebook.com/brueryprovisions

I am stoked for this! I think it's great and will be great, as I don't want to go into Haven for a pint(although I probably still will.)

Discuss..
  2. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Love it. Even better when the outside patio will be open to drink in.
  3. Is this patio in the back?
  4. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Why does everyone keep saying "pints" when even at the tasting room they have never served a pint?
  5. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Yeah. Is it open yet?
  6. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I could be wrong but Loakal Red, Humulus Lager, XPA (recent batch) and Wet are served in pint glassware.
    NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  7. Finally! This is so cool. I just got on my wife's Facebook and liked that shit.
  8. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

good deal. i always hated those little pours. i went into that haven place one and i will never go in again.
  9. vacax

I want to say those are in a stange but I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm just slightly ruffled over the flagrant use of the word "pint" instead of full pours, because even most "pints" in the US aren't actually full pints.
  10. Patio isn't open yet, they're still waiting on ABC approval. In theory, within the next month it should be good.
  11. They are actually serving pints already just no patio yet!
  12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

YES!!! So stoked for this one!!!

Cheers!
  13. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

Jacob-- we have a few serving sizes at Provisions now: 16.9 oz. pours, 14 oz., 8 oz., and 6 oz. The flights are still at 2 oz.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery
  14. Very happy to hear of this.
  15. snpub540

snpub540 Savant (315) California Jan 10, 2007

Cant wait to go in tomorrow.
  16. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (930) California Oct 13, 2007

Awesome-O!
  17. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Love the patio idea. Might have to plan another trip down to check it out!
  18. They've been serving those 16.9oz "true pint" glasses with stuff like Humulus Lager and Loakal Red for a while at the tasting room.

On a side note, anybody know how much these full pours are costing? Same as they do at the tasting room?
  19. BeerShman

BeerShman Savant (265) California Dec 14, 2010

Was just there. Had a NBB Passion Saison-6.50 and a Stillwater No Love and Regret-7.00

The cheapest was I think 6 bucks? Also, last call is now 11:30. Pretty awesome!

Cheers!
  20. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

The glasses at the tasting room have a curve and bulge to them compared to a stange.
  21. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

So now I'm hearing the only "flights" now available at the Provisions are of Bruery beers, rather then anything on tap, due to the full pour change? Is this true? Sad day imo if so, it's what made Provisions so unique, and kept it more of a tasting place, rather then a beer bar. I like full pours, but not at the sacrifice of what made Provisions what it is.
    Jackskeleton likes this.
  22. It is true, no more flights of guest beers only full pours. You can also now open any beer you buy from them, the catch is "capage" of $5
  23. Retsinis

Bummer. Hope they reconsider, not too many happy with this change on the Bruery RS forums.

$5 cappage fee! To open their own beers! wow, never heard that one before, that's outrageous, just wow. So pay to buy their beer, pay to open it, what's next, pay to use the bathroom? Nickel & dime policies if you ask me. If they are going to give that option, and someone wants to open one of their beers on site, just restrict that is has to be opened by an employee, & all consumed onsite (no open containters outside of the premises) but to charge to open it, is obviously a corkage fee, which I've mostly seen as options to pay when you bring in an outside bottle of wine, not an onsite restaurant purchase.
  24. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Corkage fee is $5? That's... a lot.
    Isn't Beer Revolution a dollar?
  25. BrĂ¼ Grill & Market has no Cappage when you open a beer you buy from them
    Retsinis likes this.
  26. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Agreed. I raised the point on the RS forum that since so many of live quite far from Orange, a big part of the appeal of Provisions was being able to try small 2oz tasters of a variety of beers so that you can safely make the drive home. It's a lot less tempting to dive into the 50 mile, hour and a half trek to Orange County knowing I'd be limited to just a couple full pours from their great tap list.
    Retsinis likes this.
  27. Really disappointing to hear no more guest flights and lame ass cap fee on their own beers. It's one thing to charge that for beers that aren't theirs or were not bought there but to charge this for their own beers bought in their store is pretty lame.
  28. smaisch

smaisch Aficionado (155) California Nov 23, 2009

Wow, that is quite disappointing to say the least. Definitely not worth the trade-off of full pints.

Also, where are these RS forums? I can't seem to find them.
  29. Retsinis

http://rsforum.thebruery.com/main

But it's not a fully open/public forum to my knowledge, but if your a Reserve Society member, go ahead and register!
  30. smaisch

Ah awesome, thanks. I had to sift through my inbox to find the invitation to join as it was by Benjamin Weiss and I totally disregarded it. Sloppy!

31. Pwned "vacax" about not having pints.
  32. I was there last night and while there aren't any flights of guest beers I believe you can still get 2oz pours of individual beers. When I ordered my White Oak I was asked if I wanted a full pour or 2oz pour. I realize that is one of their beers but I believe this option exists for all beers. I was bummed to find out I couldn't get a half pour, something between the 2 and 8, 14, or 16.9oz pours.

But man that "cappage" fee does sound really bad, I didn't notice that. I have purchased bottles at the tasting room to consume on-sight with no such cappage fee.
  33. vacax

Wait... no imperial pints? This is an outrage :D
  34. Lol Jerry Seinfeld wins this one for sure.
  35. vacax

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't trying to accuse The Bruery of using the term "pints" generically, I was just objecting to people in this thread using "pint" as a synonym for a full pour/glass. The Bruery Provisions is obviously a top notch place and is doing glassware and everything the right way.
  36. Yeah for sure. For whatever reason it is acceptable in the U.S. to use the term "pint" in reference to glass type rather than amount and it drives me nuts. Blind Lady in SD was the first to really awaken me to a true pint.

Not to mention spending some time in London reallllly made me realize the full potential of a "pint".

Kudos to the Bruery though for offering so many size choices. Sometimes you want more than two but less that 16.9 oz of a high gravity beer.
  37. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Savant (375) California Jun 16, 2008

corkage fee should be a nickle if your an RS member. 5 dollars is pretty steep seeing how much money i throw at the bruery already...
  38. Hollingshead has a similarly great bottle selection (minus the Bruery beers) and only charges a $2 corkage fee. Of course, all the beers at Hollingshead are overpriced to begin with so it probably comes out even.
  39. smaisch

So we'll all just slam our in-store bottles together in the bathroom for free, agreed? o_O
  40. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

Hey All--

I think there is some misunderstanding about the corkage fees. We charge $2 for a 12 oz. bottle, $3 for a 16.9 oz. bottle, and $5 for a 22 oz. / 750 mL. The focus of drinking beer at Provisions is the draft selection-- we'd like to be able to offer the choice that any of our bottles can be opened on-site, but generally we expect beer on draft will be the main attraction. Our margins for beer to go are similar to other beer retailers, so there isn't much room margin-wise to allow people to drink whatever they want off the shelf at no additional markup. When you drink it at Provisions, we incur additional cost by having you drink it there (staffing, rent, cleaning, etc.). If you compare our bottle prices to other on-premise beer establishments, I think you'll find our bottle prices are in line or less than other places around town.

Now that I take a second look at this policy, we will change the 22 oz / 750 mL to $4 to get around $.16 per oz.-- $5 is too high for 22 oz. bottles.

As far as flights go, we will have guest tap flights occasionally when we have a good supply of a specific style or from a particular brewery. Our flights in the past have been themed, and often our beer choices were driven about fitting within a theme which is quite limiting. Additionally, offering full pours instead of flights improves the speed of service, takes up less space in the tasting area, and overall improves the flow of Provisions.

The feedback is great, I really appreciate it. I just wanted to explain where we're coming from. If you think we're off-base, please let me know and I'll look into it.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery
    geoffsm12, smaisch and Eriktheipaman like this.