1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Pints at Provisions...

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by BeerShman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Your reply is appreciated. I probably won't ever pop a bottle there, but that's just me. Looking forward to having a
    Int on the patio, though.
  2. I doubt I will ever pop a top there as well. I mean, I'm going there to buy bottles, not consume them there. The focus of draft is a major appeal on that regard.

It's completely understandable that they got rid of the 2oz guest taps. I heard from workers that it was more of a pain than it was worth. I'm glad that theme flights or special event/night flights will show up every now and then as I have loved to come in for Bootleggers or Ballast Point's flight night and try a sampling of all their offerings.

I liked the 2oz pours for the already mentioned in the thread reasons - gives me the taste without the tipsy. But it's all good. Glad they'll still be around in some shape.
  3. smaisch

smaisch Aficionado (155) California Nov 23, 2009

Thanks for your reply Patrick. I just want it to be known that your involvement and direct communication with the community and your customers is one of the reasons I support your brewery.

I most likely won't be opening a bottle there because the incentive isn't there for me. I would understand the bottle charge if you already had all the bottles on tap, that way you aren't getting stiffed, but sometimes you guys have bottles of stuff I'd like to try in-store that are not available on tap at the moment. I don't feel that the customer should have to pay extra to enjoy your product in-store, if there is no other way for the customer to try it at that moment. I know it's not realistic with the number of brews you bottle vs. number of taps you have, but it's a shame that I have to decide whether I want to drive an hour back home to LA to enjoy my bottle or having to pay extra to enjoy a bottle of Mother Funker in-store.

Another variable in all of this is the fact that people who open bottles in-store will hang around longer and may want to try some of your meats and cheeses. I'm not sure if you're worked out that conversion rate (or if it's even trackable), but it's something to consider. When you lose out on people who aren't willing to pay a corkage fee, you might see a drop in your other sales. I'd be curious to see if any profits you see from corkage fees are negated by loss of sales in meats and cheeses.
    Retsinis likes this.
  4. Just thought I'd point out that none of their pour sizes are a pint, which could either be American at 16 US ounces, or Imperial at 19.2 US ounces. I do like 0.5L pours though.
  5. Bottles always cost more at a bar than a bottle shop. Why should The Bruery be any different? If you drink the beer there versus to-go, you are using glassware that needs to be cleaned and stored, and then there is just the general overhead of the bar. $5 might sound steep, but I would never expect no fee to drink bottles at the bar versus to go. THe only places I've ever seen the same price for both are where the prices are already higher across the board compared to places without on-site consumption.
  6. smaisch

smaisch Aficionado (155) California Nov 23, 2009

I disagree. Provisions is a bottle-shop, first and foremost. Bars have to increase the cost of their bottles primarily for storage and distribution costs, not glassware cleaning. The Bruery does not have to incur those type of costs because they are very low, bringing in their own bottles to sell in their own store, where they have already built in that cost into the bottles, whether you drink them there or not.

Regardless, this is what always made Provisions different and appealing to me. It's disappointing to see it go the other way, but ultimately it isn't my business to run. I'm just tossing in my opinion as a consumer who has spent over $1000 at the Bruery in the past 3 months alone. Some of these changes make me look closely at how I will be spending my money there.
  7. teamizm

teamizm Savant (375) California Feb 4, 2005

Yep, BR is a $1 and City Beer Store used to be a $1 (I think it varies now from $1 to $3..cold be wrong on this). $5 to open a Bruery beer at their own bottle shop is quite steep.