1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Full Sail Brewery

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dep0952, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dep0952

dep0952 Disciple (55) Pennsylvania Jul 26, 2012

Just wanted to give a shout out to full sail brewery in Hood River,OR. I live in PA where the craft beer scene is blossoming but nothing when comparing to Oregon.. I have family in Portland,OR. Three years ago when visiting them my uncle took me to this brewery... and WOW. The beer was great and the town was absolutely gorgeous! I've been to a lot of breweries over the country and quite honestly full sail is in my top 3. Today, I received via fedex (thanks Uncle Tim) 6 22oz. Bottles of their 2013 bourbon barrel imperial stout.. I will say it was no kbs or bcbs but a damn good beer from an awesome little brewery. Well done Full Sail and I am anxiously counting down the days til I make it back to Oregon!
  2. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I drink thier amber now and again. Also love Wassail and Session Lager. I'm interested in their LTD lagers but they never show up in my area.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  3. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

While they make decent brews at decent prices, they are the 5th best brewery in HR.
  4. Heh I drink Grey Sail and they are the guys that Full Sail sued.
    RoninTK3, RMoeNay and DaKur like this.
  5. Had a good beer there once
  6. Haven't been all that impressed by what I've tried. OK, but nothing special.
  7. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

really like ltd 03 & 06
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

#5 in Hood River, Bend, or Portland would qualify for #1 in a lot of other towns.
  9. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

True, but given that the brewers of Logsdon, Double Mountain, and pFreim all started at Full Sail we should be thankful that they're there serving as an incubator for talented brewers.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

True. Although Josh Pfreim had experience at some other breweries (including Chuckanut) before he went FS. They make solidly decent brews that occasionally hit a grand slam. I'm, in general, glad they're around.
  11. They are...ok. Tried six of their beers, all in the good, but not great level at best to me. One of several breweries I wouldn't mind pulling out of NJ and opening up shelf space for new ones
  12. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

I love me some Black Gold!
  13. Decent brewery, and fully employee owned seems to be something they are proud about. So cheers to them
  14. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Funny I though the title said Grey Sail until I read it. O well. Leaning Chimney is good.
  15. Good beer great price...
    Ford and johnnyboy76 like this.
  16. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

I have to agree with you, I've only had one beer by full sail that I haven't loved (their IPA, just a little too boring for me) but amber is what got me into craft to begin with and everything I've tried by them since them has been amazing, I'm actually drinking their bourbon barrel imperial stout right now and loving it. Shout outs to some of my favorites by them, 25th anniversary, amber, ltd 06, and wreck the halls.
    johnnyboy76 likes this.
  17. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I like them as well, When I was going to college at Full Sail University in orlando florida the grocery store right next to the school definitely marketed it front and center at the entrance. :D I swear I'd never try them, but this is before I got into craft.
  18. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

There is always Session Lager in my fridge for the people that like AALs never had a complaint. And the Black Gold is one of my favorites.
  19. I currently have 9 Session Lagers that have been sitting in the fridge since early December. :(
  20. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

For shame!
  21. I have a soft spot in my heart for Full Sail. I'd describe them more as "solid" than great, but I like the Pale Ale quite a bit; simple and well made. I've enjoyed the LTD series just because it's nice to see lagers get some respect. Their Pub Series Brown Ale was quite good. And I love that they keep their prices down.

Dunno why they dropped Black Gold off the label this year and just called it Imperial Stout. It wasn't nearly as good this year as last year, unfortunately.
  22. I picked up some bombers of their Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor and their Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen for a little over 5 bucks each. Should be good. I'm not familar with craft breweries that make malt liquor, the only one I knew that did was Rogue. Not really a fan of malt liquor but for a good price Im willing to try.
  23. Sounds like it's time for a session...
  24. i lived directly across the street from full sail for about 2 years while working at meadows ski resort, loved the extra special barney this past year, but yeah solera, logsdon, double mountain, and phriem make much better beers in that town. there is a huge spot in my beer soul for sessions, both black and red. i used to snag buckets of them at cooper spur on taco night after shredding meadows on my off days. theres a metric fukc ton of beer snobbery in that town though. i worked at volcanic bottle shoppe as a bartender for a bit and having dogfish 120 on tap for $5 a 10oz and barely able to sell a pint of it depressed me. beautiful town though and a great little brew pub attached to that brewery. you REALLLY had to try to find a garbage beer in that town
  25. Just had the LTD #06.

It was...ok.
  26. I like the LTD series.
    I find it to be different and readily available wherever I buy mix-6's.
  27. i do remember one night eating at the bar in full sail and the owner was about two stools down from me with some guys from heineken discussing future plans and marketing strategies(who wouldnt eves drop in that situation). that made me a bit weary of where they were heading and the fact that when they became available for sale here in NC for the first time they contracted with a budwieser distributor. meaning ill never see anything good from them here in NC. slightly depressing but as long as TRYON is still around ill have enough special releases to tide me over
  28. I have no problem with Full Sail. I've had 3 or 4 of their beers and they make solid beers at an affordable price. I'm a big fan of the Full Sail Amber, only $5.99 a six pack and better than a lot of similar beers that cost 2X as much
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I am quite happy with their Old Boardhead.
  30. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I like Full Sail. Good beer, affordable prices and they distribute to my neck of the woods. Solid "B" beers. I can live with that.
    corby112, Ford and Bitterbill like this.
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Bill, I buy Session Lager quite frequently. Cool stubbies and if ya get 'em cold, even the Bud Lite folks in my family like 'em. Personally, I like their IPA.
  32. Solid brewery bordering on great. Their Amber is one of the best out there and Wassail is one of the best winter warmers I've ever had. Also love their ESB release and their LTD series is interesting.

I can't help but feel they dont get a lot of BA love beacause they dont do much in the way of interesting IPA's and Stouts. But they are great when it comes to making other less popular styles shine.
  33. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Love me some Session.
  34. Kopfschuss

Lots of love for Old Boardhead. While not the best barley wine, a great affordable one in a pinch. I cannot get behind their LTD Lager series, I must have been too spoiled with the Chuckanut Brewery and their happy hour lagers.
  35. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I'm glad everyone seems to like their beer; I feel like I'm missing out. I'll pick up a Full Sail or two at my local Trader Joe's whenever they have one I haven't tried, and I'm always disappointed. Glad others like it and wish I felt the same.
  36. full sail is one of those breweries that if your expecting the world from wont deliver but if you just want a good beer, its well made stuff. nothing earth shattering but solid
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  37. Kopfschuss

Especially at the price point it is.
    beertunes likes this.
  38. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Full Sail Amber is a very, very good beer.... and their prices are really good. I'm a fan.
  39. They make generally solid beers. I always pick up new bottles when I see them come out.
  40. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Their Slipknot IPA is very good. But it sure falls apart quickly. This is one you really have to drink fresh.