1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fuller's 1845

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by knightlypint, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Regarding pint bottles in the US...

I've had 6 of these now and only one was good, that one I kept in my fridge for about 3 months. The other five, opened well before the best by date, were awful...a strange, almost veggy-like flavor up front followed by a terrible bitterness.

Thanks.
  2. They're not pint bottles, rather 68.261485ml-less-than-a-pint bottles.
  3. Hmmm. Can't remember when I haven't had a decent bottle of this. Storage during transport or light exposure in the bottle store might help to explain it but sure is an odd one.
  4. Haven't had one for a while, though I do have a few stashed away. But I've not come across a bad one....
  5. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I routinely drink this. Basically always from the shelf off a beer store. Seldom from a beer bar, but occasionally. I have never had a problem with anything remotely close to a veggie or DMS flavors.
  6. Thanks for the responses.

I have 2 bottles in my fridge which I'll keep there for a few more months, then open them.

Odd thing is, I buy the ESB frequently and it's always great........same store.
  7. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Fuller's is my favorite imported beer. 1845 has always been good to me though I have only had it a few times. I have a 6 pack of London Pride queued up for the weekend though.
  8. I like their ESB and London Pride too.

I'm going to let my last 2 bottles of 1845 sit in the fridge for several more months, that seems to be the only way so far I've come up with a good one...and it was excellent.

Fuller's Porter didn't impress me though, although with Harviestoun and Zywiec setting the bar that's understandable.
  9. But... Fullers Porter is immense. Porter how porter should be. Landaan and praad.
  10. Żywiec! Eugh. I know what you mean about the veggie flavour. It reminded me a lot of fish food pellets. Much prefer the ESB.
  11. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Dying to try some Zywiec, I hear great things about it. Fuller's London Porter is damn okay for a basic porter. I can get it fairly cheap online and I keep a steady supply of it. Lovely beer for when you just feel like nothing special.
  12. Dennoman, are you taking about Zywiec the Polish lager? It's very common in my hometown, possibly because of our huge Polish workforce. I can't think of anything good (or bad) to say about Zywiec because it's so completely unremarkable. It's just a plain, metallicey, fizzy European lager – one of dozens of which UK pubs are over-saturated with. :eek: I can't believe anyone would say great things about it.​
  13. Dennoman

Nah, the porter :)
  14. Ah, now it makes sense.
  15. Dennoman

We have a pretty major Polish workforce here as well, but never heard of the Zywiec products until someone from the UK told me of them. We even have a Polish lady help us with work around the house since my mum had a nasty fall two years ago. I can't imagine her being big on beer though :D
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've had a few, before my joining BA and doing reviews, but I recall the ones I've had were...splendid.
  17. Still offered at Tesco's at 4 for £6
  18. harddanceuk

harddanceuk Initiate (20) Oct 17, 2012

A few of the staff at the brewey keep these for a year or two and then drink or so I'm told via an email from them
  19. Two bottles this afternoon. Very nice, went down a treat. Not a fan of bottled beer but it was rather good.