1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fuller's Hotel / London Questions

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by GJ40, Oct 4, 2012.

1. GJ40

GJ40 Advocate (605) North Carolina Dec 25, 2007

My wife and I are heading to London in November and I'm thinking of staying at Fuller's Chamberlin Hotel. Any recommendations for or against?

We did several trips between 2000 and 2006 but haven't been since. I have a long list of pubs that I know I need to get back to. But anything new in the London beer scene since then that I should look into? For example, I hear Brodie's is doing some interesting things with American hops.

Finally, any American IPA lovers interested in doing an in-person trade? I have some fresh Three Floyds (Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf and Rye D Tiger) and Russian River (PtE). I was hoping to try something different; maybe a Westy. I thought about making the trip over to Belgium myself but there's just not enough time.

Thanks for your help!

2. The London beer scene has really exploded in the past couple years. A lot of great pubs here are less than a few years old. Craft Beer Co, Cask Pub & Kitchen, and Euston Tap are my favorite pubs and each has a great range of cask, tap, and bottled beer.

Brodie's makes some really great beers though it can be a bit of a journey to get to King William IV, the Brodie's brewpub. The Old Coffee House in Soho always has a bunch of Brodie's on.

Definitely try as many beers from The Kernel as you can. Their IPAs and stouts are excellent. Also try to stop by The Kernel on a Saturday; it's pretty close to the Chamberlin Hotel.

3. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I've stayed in a couple of different Fullers hotels and they've all been pretty good. Plus you can get served after normal closing time and take draught beer into your room. Nice breakfast, too.

surfadelic23 likes this.
  4. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

The Kernel brewery

5. GJ40

Thanks for the advice!

6. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

I second the suggestion to go to Kernel on a Saturday, ace beers, ace atmosphere. Otherwise the top beer bars are the Craft family (Craft Beer Co. Clerkenwell, Craft Beer Co. Brixton, Cask Pub & Kitchen and, in November, possibly Craft Beer Co. Islington, if they've opened), Euston Tap and the Cider Tap, and BrewDog Bar Camden. Also definitely make the trip out to the William IV and Brodie's Brewery - always something crazy/left-field on tap there (including collaboration brews with Mikkeller, Fano Bryghus, Three Floyds and others).

7. surfadelic23

surfadelic23 Savant (285) Florida Aug 25, 2005

While south of the Thames , check out royal oak on tabbard...harvies tied house...the rake by borough market, market porter also near the market...figured I'd give you some of the old school beer spots not just the jcl's! North of the Thames, check out the harp on Chandos, a great spot! The crosse keys ( huge whetherspoons, which should have a fest on while there... Different whetherspoons usually will have different options...peek in and see what's good) also check out the wenlock arms! Farther west is the Whitehorse (really close to parsons green underground). As you're staying in a fullers hotel, I won't recc any fullers pubs,.. Hth... Southampton arms is a good one too...

8. GJ40

Thanks everyone!

9. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

I heard the Wenlock was closing? Hope it makes it, a grear real ale pub though a bit of a pain to get to.

10. Nah - Wenlock is still going strong

The property devleoper was denied permission to develop into flats so it's continued as a pub !

If in doubt Google !

https://twitter.com/Thewenlock_arms