1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fulton News

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by minnesotaryan, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Here is a whole bunch of Fulton News from their blog:
    COLLABORATION WITH GREAT LAKES
    [​IMG]

We’ve long admired Great Lakes Brewing Company. Since they were established in 1988, they’ve brewed exceptional beers and done it while emphasizing the importance of operating in an environmentally and socially conscious manner. Needless to say, when the opportunity arose to travel to Cleveland to collaborate on an all-new beer, we jumped at the chance. Brian and Mikey got to work with the Great Lakes brewers and their 7 bbl pub system to brew a truly unique Baltic Porter recipe that incorporates molasses and Great Lakes’ proprietary lager yeast.
    Want to know what it tastes like? We were only able to produce a couple dozen kegs, and only about half made it here to Minnesota. Our taproom doesn’t even get one, so you’ll have to join us at one of our release events if you want to try it. If you were quick enough to get tickets for tonight’s Happy Gnome Beer Dinner or Saturday’s Beer Dabbler, you’ll get a chance at it this week. Next week, we’ll be at Bryant Lake Bowl to tap a keg on Tuesday, January 29th. We’ll have a few more release events in the upcoming weeks, so be sure to check for updates on Facebook and Twitter.

WORTHY ADVERSARY FIRKINS — WITH SOME UNIQUE TWISTS
    [​IMG]

The Great Lakes collaboration didn’t quench our thirst for experimentation; in fact, it only fueled it. Back at our Minneapolis brewery, we turned to filling firkins with some exotic combinations.
    First, the aformentioned 1/29 event at Bryant Lake Bowl will also feature a cask of War & Peace – a cult favorite that you’ll be seeing more of soon (more on that in a minute).
    Next up, Buster’s on 28th will be tapping a cask of “Mole” Worthy Adversary this Thursday, January 24th at 6:00. That’s Mole as in “inspired by the Mexican sauce,” by the way; we added cinnamon, ancho chiles, and cocoa nibs to the cask, not a small, marmot-esque mammal.
    The following week, we’ll be celebrating Firkin Friday on February 1st at Grumpy’s Nordeast with a cask of Worthy Adversary aged with macamia nuts and coconut. We’ve done a Worthy cask with macadamia nuts once before, and it was truly one of the best we’ve ever had. The addition of coconut will only make it that much better.

THE ANSWERS TO SOME QUESTIONS WE’VE BEEN HEARING A LOT LATELY (HINT: THEY ALSO HAVE TO DO WITH NEW BEERS)
    [​IMG]

The questions: “When is the War & Peace coming back?” And: “What’s in those barrels?” Then: “So, when are you going to tap those barrels?” The answers, respectively, are: soon, Libertine, and very soon. If you’d like just a bit more information: War & Peace, our Imperial Coffee Stout infused with whole bean Guatemalan Organic Dark Roast from Peace Coffee, will be available in late February, both on draft and for the first time ever in 750 mL bottles. We’ll be announcing an exact date shortly. As for the barrel question: Our friends over at 2 Gingers Whiskey loaned us the barrels, and we’ve been allowing The Libertine to age in them for several months now. We got to sample it yesterday, and we think it’s ready and quite nice. By the way, we don’t “tap” the barrels; after aging, we transfer the beer to a stainless steel tank for blending, carbonation, and packaging. We’re now blending it and will be announcing a taproom release date very soon.

2. AWESOME!!! Nice job guys.

3. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I don't think I've ever had and beer aged in Irish whisky barrels. Sounds intriguing.

4. Really good to hear War and Peace will be in 750s.

motorhed, cmannes and pmccallum86 like this.
  5. ottodyer

ottodyer Savant (260) Maryland Oct 27, 2009

The firkin Friday at Grumpy's will be be a nice primer for Winterfest

6. repivk

repivk Zealot (95) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

War and peace 750s! What a glorious day! They mention anything about quantity of them?

7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

so stoked about the baltic porter. nice work.

8. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

theCoder and cmannes like this.
  9. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Hopefully they will have a bigger batch to bottle or growler sales of the BA libertine

10. brbe6

brbe6 Disciple (55) Minnesota Nov 26, 2012

If anyone could post where some bottles of War and Peace are at tomorrow that would be much appreciated, since I am still seeing bottles of Worthy Adversary around all over I am sure it won't be hard to find but I have Mondays off and would like to get a couple bottles tomorrow and not have to worry about finding them later.

11. I heard there is a lot less of this than the worthy adversary.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  12. $14.99 at the Golden Valley Liquor Barrel. Next to a couple Commanders (there were more but someone bought two).

13. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Drinking War & Peace right now. If you guys like Worthy Adversary, this is damn delicious too, just add a nice dose of coffee. Very well done indeed. I nabbed 2 bottles, @$15 for this is still a darn good price IMO.

Might have to randle some fresh Tonx coffee that came today with the rest of the bottle tomorrow after work.

14. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

I didn't even know W&P was being bottled! Saw it at the shop and was totally surprised. 16.99 up here though.

15. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

I just can't justify that price when I can walk half a block and get a pint of Founders Breakfast Stout for $6. Sorry :)

16. got one bottle of war and peace, would buy more if it was $10ish.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  17. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Kind of burnt out a bit on the stouts myself, but, The Ale Jail just put out a limited amount of War and Peace. 1 bottle per.

18. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Grabbed one at Apple Valley #1 today for $14.99. Worth a try once, but will have to be really impressive for me to buy another at that price. $4 more per bottle compared to Worthy Adversary? Must be some really expensive coffee going in.

19. Revenant

On another note I gotta say my latest Beer Crush is Fulton's Size 7. Had it for the first time last weekend and it was love at first sip. Dissent is pretty good too. Now I need to find some Size 11.

20. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

Steel Toe bro

KWMiles, Hopsiam14 and Revenant like this.
  21. herman77

herman77 Advocate (525) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

I love seven child of vine.

Revenant and evilgenius1917 like this.
  22. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Come on guys. Take it easy. We all know the best of their beers is The Lunkertine.

Revenant and Powderhornphil like this.
  23. Revenant

Oooops!

24. Revenant

Man I feel like an idiot, and that's hard. Even in this place :D

25. Revenant

Man how could I confuse Steel Toe with Fulton? That's like confusing Furious and Saga.

26. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

I see how that could be confusing as Schells makes both of those corn based non-craft options.

KWMiles likes this.
  27. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Drank my War and Peace last night and have to say that it is a really, really good beer. Tons of coffee with some nice sweetness to back it. This is easily the best beer I've had from Fulton.

cmannes and xBeer like this.
  28. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Dude, I'm ISO War & Peace. Just sayin.

29. Ruin your surprise why don't ya

KWMiles and Steimie like this.
  30. Tapping War & Peace, GLBC/Fulton Collab Baltic Porter & GLBC Tripel Dog Dare all tomorrow, (tuesday) 4pm-ish

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  31. You guys have really been killing it lately with the beer events! Thanks!!

32. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I missed War and Peace last year, but got a 750 this year. Holy crap is that a good beer, second best coffee beer I have had from a Minnesota brewery (Surly Four will be very hard to beat).

33. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (420) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

I had to buy one. Was not overly impressed with this. With the $15 price tag there are many other solid options around $8-$10 that are as good or better...IMO

34. Oh, and I forgot to mention GLBC Alchemy Hour DIPA

Ish1 and Penguin3200 like this.
  35. Fulton's calendar says you're starting at 6, but is it earlier? Sorry, I'm just excited and don't want to miss any...

36. Ahhhhh, well i suppose its 6 O'clock then, and I'll just have to wait. Plenty of other beer to drink while we wait though, Bourbon County Coffee anyone?

37. Haha, a true salesman!