1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Funk Metal... be warned.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by bryand23, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (440) Texas Jun 28, 2010

This is our experience with Funk Metal if properly chilled.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

FUNKPhD likes this.
  2. jesterkingbeer

We've found each of our barrel aged, wild beers to be somewhat of it's own animal in terms of dialing in the CO2 during bottle conditioning. We recently bottled our third batch of Boxer's Revenge for example. Although it's only three weeks old in the bottle, we're cautiously optimistic it's conditioning near perfectly. The first two releases were of course a little soft in terms of CO2. On the other hand, we've found our first bottling of Funk Metal to do more in terms of CO2 development with less priming sugar. Finally, our upcoming first release of RU-55 Barrel-Aged Sour Red Ale is a little soft in terms of CO2 (tested at 2.1 volumes). We're reasonably confident our next bottling will finish closer to 3.0 volumes.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

We opened WBDPP and Funk Metal with zero drama last night.

blatherbeard, Krumb and FUNKPhD like this.
  4. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I had a couple pints off of a cask of the RU-55 at the Petrol anniversary party here in Houston, an obviously low-carbed choice, the flavors worked with the flatness though IMO. If nothing else, it was a way to truly taste the flavors of the beer. I am intrigued to see how this livens up with a higher carbonation level.

5. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Savant (255) Texas Aug 28, 2010

How bad ass is it of the JK guys to chime into these threads whether their getting shit or praise with a detailed brewers description. Pretty cool!

6. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

I agree, though I'm sure they value both sides...

7. jesterkingbeer

Oh yes. I think the threads are 99% made up of fair praise or criticism. Mainly we keep up with them to be a source of facts about our beer, ingredients, process, etc.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

8. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

I'll open my bottle of FM at New Year's and report back. Really looking forward to it.

Cheer!

9. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Here's some valuable info. I love the shit out of boxers revenge and can't wait for it to be year round.

mrkmrk likes this.
  10. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

It is also helpful to have y'all nearby to correct us when we are off, or just speculating/assuming. It's nice knowing the why behind the what. :)

11. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Pretty fun king awesome!

12. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (460) Texas Feb 3, 2009

13. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (615) Texas Nov 20, 2011

14. DanzBorin

15. gtermi

gtermi Champion (770) Texas Apr 21, 2010

16. thirdeye11

17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

it amazes me how all these releases are so infected.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  18. lol

19. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (205) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Tried this at the brewery this past Saturday and loved it. Much more sour than I was expecting it to be, and I felt the level of carbonation lent itself well to this particular beer. Grabbed some bottles to bring home from Stanley's that I'm excited to pop open.

20. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (585) Texas Apr 26, 2007

JK did something like that with the original batch of Commercial Suicide, offering refunds to customers and retailers with infected bottles. It's not a perfect system as it leaves some responsibility to the distributor to pick up the product and reimburse accounts, something that Virtuoso dropped the ball on in a few cases.

21. thirdeye11

Commercial Suicide was infected? I know it was way overcarbonated (to the point you might end up with 10% of a bottle left upon opening), but never heard of infection issues.

22. pwsoldier

You're probably right. I normally think infection when I see gushers like that, but I don't recall any off-flavors now that I think about it. Though one of my coworkers swears he got a bottle that smelled and tasted like blue cheese.

23. DanzBorin

I don't think it was infected. Unless they meant infected with too much CO2.

24. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Glad to hear this. Boxer's is just outstanding as is..but a little more carb would push it over the top..I assume this is more difficult given the high ABv.

Have you guys experimented with Boxers variations? Come on...give us some juicy rumors ;)

starkmarvelo and Krumb like this.
  25. DanzBorin

Montezuma's Revenge?

I keed!

26. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If they were to make a Boxer's Revenge variant, my 9th Grade Literature knowledge demands that it somehow feature the name Clover.

If JK ever makes a truly funky Brett beer (think Mikkeller Funk-e-*): Snowball.

27. I believe they said that they bottle conditioned with the wrong yeast which attenuated much more than the intended yeast, Hence the over carbonation.

28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Lil Mac's Revenge in deference to NES Mike Tyson's Punch Out

mattisloco likes this.
  29. thirdeye11

Since you guys have begun to notice differences between batches, as consumers, one thing I'd really appreciate it seeing some kind of "batch" numbering system. Is anything like that in the works?

LadyOfMuchBeer and omnigrits like this.
  30. pwsoldier

I'm still hoping for a Mikkeller collab named Scandinavian Death Metal.

BeanBone likes this.
  31. DanzBorin

Death Metal's roots were Florida and California (See Possessed and Death). It wasn't until the late 80s that we really even saw stirring in Sweden and Europe. Norway is solidly in the Black Metal camp and don't really like Death Metal bands at all.

"Death metal's popularity achieved its initial peak between the 1992–93 era, with some bands such as Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Obituaryenjoying mild commercial successes. However, the genre as a whole never broke in to the mainstream. The genre's mounting popularity may have been partly responsible for a strong rivalry between Norwegian black metal and Swedish death metal scenes. Fenriz of Darkthrone has noted that Norwegian black metal musicians were "fed up with the whole death metal scene" at the time.[42] Death metal diversified in the 1990s, spawning a rich variety of subgenres which still have a large "underground" following at the present."

Just sayin' is all. ;)

32. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I noticed this with Boulevard Harvest Dance. No matter how carefully I poured it, the head just exploded from the bottom of the glass.
    Can bottle conditioning get out of control?

33. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

The term "infection" is to the craft beer drinker as "skunked beer" is to the average Joe. What I mean by that is, a lot of people seem to throw the infection word around a lot when there is a flavor in the beer that they don't like, just like people saying "my Bud light tastes skunked", when it's probably just old beer. Everyone said that Ranger Creek Small Batch 1 was infected, but I thought it was a very good beer...

blatherbeard likes this.
  34. Lutter

An "infection" is anything that is not intended to be in the final product that makes its' way in... be it wild yeast, bacteria, or even chemical compounds that, unintendedly, get into a batch of beer whether it be from sanitation, air contamination, barrel contamination (compounds left inside a barrel after use that lend off flavors), or any other number of reasons.

Depending on what it is, it can cause anything from a diacetyl flavor (buttered popcorn), sour flavors (pediococcus, lactobacillus), unintentional funkiness (brettomyces), and even acetate (... nail polish remover). Reactions with the intended yeast cause the "exploding carbonation" issue.

In the case of Boulevard's Chocolate Ale, they actually liked the way an unintended bacterial infection (I think it was brett?) made the beer taste, but didn't let consumers know. Didn't go over so well. :)

"Skunked" beer is just beer that has been either spoiled due to light exposure or spoilage due to shelf age (although, which the vast majority of beers now pasteurized, this takes ages now).

35. thirdeye11

I don't think you understand the definition of infection as it relates to beer. A beer with off flavors does not equal infection. Diacetyl is in many beers, and they are not infected.

An example of an infected beer, would be a porter that's supposed to taste like chocolate, that ends up tasting sour.

NiceFly and jamescain like this.
  36. DanzBorin

I had (and still have one in the fridge) a Boulevard Dark Truth Stout that was infected. It was obviously soured and extremely off putting! And sadly, not a good sour like Funk Metal.

37. Lutter

"An "infection" is anything that is not intended to be in the final product that makes its' way in." The chocolate tastes sour because rogue wild bacteria had its' way with it.

The key is that the flavor is unintentional and conflicts with other ingredient choices because of it.

38. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

As far as I know, with beer the term infection refers to an unitended living thing ending up in a beer. A chemical compound getting in would be a contamination, no?

NiceFly, omnigrits and thirdeye11 like this.
  39. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

This is how I understand the terminology, as a consumer and as an amateur brewer.

thirdeye11 likes this.