1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Funk Metal... be warned.

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by bryand23, Dec 7, 2012.

1. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Member

That's a much closer definition than Lutter's interpretation. Brewers don't wish for diacetyl to end up in their beers, but if often does. It's a byproduct, not an infection.
  2. Lutter

Lutter Member

Meh, I agree... contamination seems like the correct term for a byproduct. I just simply lump it with infections in my mind.

Is it me, or does all this stuff sound like hospital language? :)
  3. jamescain

jamescain Member

Brett is not a bacteria
  4. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

I think too many people use the term infected WAY too loosely. An infected beer is something unintentional with wild yeast or other bacteria. It is the pure definition of the word "infection" itself. Is it not? I can understand why brewers avoid using "contamination", but some things truly do fall into that category. Some things are more of an unwanted chemical reaction. And in other cases, things are intentionally experimentally off, like in prohibition style ales.

Perfect constants are impossible to achieve through imperfect human existence. It is part of the fun behind the inexact science that is brewing.

Yeast is its own creature, neither bacterial or fungal.
    blatherbeard and BeanBone like this.
  5. omnigrits

omnigrits Member

Pretty sure yeast is classed as a single-cell fungus. Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been a microbiologist, but Alton Brown said it was a fungus and that's good enough for me. The man don't lie.
    mrkmrk, chocosushi and thirdeye11 like this.
  6. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Member

We're not completely sure what caused the Commercial Suicide that got recalled to over carbonate. Our theory is that it was "contaminated" with our French Saison yeast. A lab test of the recalled Commercial Suicide did not show the presence of any wild yeast or bacteria. For that reason, we believe the culprit may have been the French Saison yeast, which is highly attenuative.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
    willandperry and chocosushi like this.
  7. jamescain

jamescain Member

Yeast is a fungus
  8. jamescain

jamescain Member

My fiancee is a microbiologist, yeast is definitely a fungus
  9. Lutter

Lutter Member

I know yeast personally... he's a fun-gi at parties.

*crickets*
    scullycain, Azzy, omnigrits and 2 others like this.
  10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Haaaaa. :p I get it.
  11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

So, opened my bottle and it did spill out. Have a glass handy. As for the beer, I'm a bit speachless. I'm glad I went out and got a third bottle. It's excellent. Well done Jester King.
    jesterkingbeer likes this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Member

I can't wait till stuff like this is year round. Good to see they've already blended and incorporated more into their barrel program.
    FUNKPhD and jesterkingbeer like this.
  13. BeanBone

BeanBone Member

After 24 hours in the fridge, mine wasn't aggressive at all (even after dropping the bottle right before serving).
    FUNKPhD, jesterkingbeer and Daemose like this.
  14. Daemose

Daemose Member

Some people just like to Bitch.
    FUNKPhD and BeanBone like this.
  15. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Member

Or maybe not every bottle is the same, because you're talking about a living orgamisn (yeast) that doesn't always behave the same way.
    mrkmrk likes this.
  16. crusian

crusian Member

Plus bottle conditioning and hand filling... So literally every bottle will be different carbonation wise.
  17. champ103

champ103 Member

Correct, I have had Jolly Pumpkin and JK beers gush after being in the fridge for days. I have also had beers from both breweries that have been in the fridge for a few hours, or from my closet to a cooler for a bit, and no problems what so ever.
  18. Daemose

Daemose Member

Nah...
  19. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Whatever the reason, I went and got yet another bottle :).
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  20. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

The Jolly Pumpkin De Viento was the worst gusher I've ever experienced.
  21. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Was at Spec's on Mason tonight and apparently only San Antonio and Austin has it on the shelves for Spec stores only. Downtown/Midtown/Smith St. shows a -28 in stock.
  22. Daemose

Daemose Member

Mine foamed, big deal. Wah.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  23. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

I was at Spec's Downtown/Midtown/Smith St. today after work. There were at least a dozen bottles left on the shelf. Someone told me yesterday that it wasn't put into the system correctly and it was actually ringing up as Le Petit Prince for less than eight bucks a bottle.
    Daemose and icetrauma like this.
  24. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Booo! Are you opening for pwsoldier at some nameless hotel's comedy open mic night? ;-)
  25. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

I would just hit the ignore button. God only knows why I haven't.
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  26. Lutter

Lutter Member

Every time Azzy posts, I feel a gentle wind.
  27. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

Don't even know who that is.
  28. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

This is an actual argument, and many reputable and respected people will argue both sides. Looks like a bacteria, acts like a fungi, but being unicellular makes it stand apart from other fungi. If ALL unicellular fungi are yeast...to me, that makes it it's own classification; yeast.
  29. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Member

Opened my first bottle of Funk Metal last night, nary a bubble creep to be found. It didn't even foam. I had mine in the fridge for about 4 days before I opened it. YMMV.
    Krumb likes this.
  30. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

ymmv?
  31. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

ymmv – Your mileage may vary.

I opened my bottle of it a few nights ago. It was in the fridge for a few days. No explosion. Poured beautifully. Maybe my favorite JK beer to date.
    jesterkingbeer likes this.
  32. lokieman

lokieman Member

you might molest velociraptors?
  33. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

Only a slight possibility of me ever trying that.
    fragilehearted likes this.
  34. Azzy

Azzy Member

What in the hell do I have to do with people not understanding how a beer was brewed? The problem these people are having with these "infected" beer is the fact that they have had little to no sour beers. If this was the case, every bottlle of Fantome, 3F or Cantillon would be infected. They get a sour taste and oh, this beer is infected. The beer was made to taste this way... I enjoyed it, and thank you Jester King for keeping things funky in Texas.

Yeah, few people bought some at that price. Except for some reason I state that I was one of those people that purchased 2 of them at that price and I was called a thieve by those in this forum who have very high morals...... Oh, and I did call them in about it cause I did feel kinda bad they were probably selling the beer at cost or at a loss.
  35. Krumb

Krumb Member

i like stories, too...bro.
  36. scullycain

scullycain Member

Yeast are a classification within the Kingdom of fungi. I don't think anyone argues this, as it is a taxonomic classification. Also, the yeast form is just that....a form. Some organisms that are found in yeast form can also become multi-cellular, at which point they are considered to be in a different form, yet they are still the same species. This is why yeast, by itself, is not a taxonomic classification.
    pwsoldier likes this.