Funky Buddah

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by alexost, Apr 4, 2012.

1. alexost

alexost Disciple (60) Florida Dec 28, 2011

Someone give me the run down on this place. I've been on their website and down some searches, but still curious as to opinions. Also looking for some help confirming as to whether they bottle or only serve their own beers on draft.

2. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Crap...my thread got scrapped with the old forums.

Basically its not really how most people think of a brewery. Its in one of the slots in a strip mall and the one next to it is their homebrew store. They are in the process of looking for a place to build an actual brewery.

Right now they brew in what would otherwise be a stockroom in the back and they're tiny batches. CCB recently gave them some space there to brew floridian hefeweizen so they should be able to brew more stuff in the stockroom.

They only do growler fills of their regular beers and all bottles are hand bottles that are filled counter pressure by them and only go to Imperial Snifter members. Otherwise there are no bottles and these bottles for IS members get released sporadically and they trade pretty high up there. I don't think they've done any bottlings since the extremely limited run of the berliner weisses.

3. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

They make amazing beer - some of the best in the world

4. cpinto6

This too...if you're patient though OP, you'll probably eventually taste their best ones without giving up your 1st born once they've built the brewery.

5. alexost

alexost Disciple (60) Florida Dec 28, 2011

Thanks for the information. I'm in Orlando, so not too terribly far from the area.

Looks like I'll be making a trip down there sometime soon from how you guys are talking about it.

Any beers in particular I should be on the lookout for? They seem to be focused on fruits?

6. cpinto6

That's their berliners...people also go crazy over their Maple Bacon Coffee porter, No crusts(PB&J) and wide awake its morning(imperial MBCP). Just ask Ryan(BA user funkybuddha) if he knows when any of those will be returning though I did get an email recently saying that now that they were done with fests they would start putting on new beers often. Just shoot him a conversation and ask he's a really nice guy so he'll let you know if he knows...unfortunately more often than not, he has no idea when exactly those beers will make it on tap again.

7. For the record, Funky Buddha is currently not filling growlers of any of their beers. I was there 3 weeks ago, and they said while this is not a permanent thing, it's going to be the case for the foreseeable future due to some legal issues. This was really a shame because I loved the Piiti Porter (by far the best of their regular lineup) and really wanted to bring some home to DC.

8. MikeMoriendi

MikeMoriendi Savant (270) Florida Jun 13, 2008

Unfortunately they have no set schedule when they release something outside of the base beers (Hop Gun, Floridian, Piiti, Red Dawn and Missionary) but they will typically come up with some fun one offs here and there or special treatments. You chances of going in and not trying something out of the ordinary is pretty slim if you ask me.

9. Lucky enough to have Last Snow at Hunahpu's this year and it was outstanding, so it's worth keeping an eye out for too. I'm dying to try No Crust at some point.