1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bilboTbaggins

bilboTbaggins Member

heard that many times. It could be a smokey bock and people will say, it reminds me of guiness. I guess everything tastes like chicken too.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  2. Drock325

Drock325 Member

I work at a bar and grill in St. Louis. When people ask what our draft list is... I start naming off good beers we have from Deschutes, and local brew pubs like Urban Chestnut, or Six Row...Then I am immediately interrupted "Oh no... I just have a Bud light." Damn AB territory...
    Smitty1988 likes this.
  3. "This tastes like paracetamol".

My wife after drinking any remotely hoppy beer.
    ufmj likes this.
  4. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Member

"This is like chewing on an orange peel", response by a buddy after trying Abita Spring IPA.
  5. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Member

"That's too dark.." - My best freind last week when I offered him a Tenfiddy. He proceeded to crack open the Tecate he brought with him.

Pleaseantly suprised Fri night. My wife got home with a couple of her friends. We were low on session beer, so I poured everyone a Hopslam.

3 "YUMMMM"'s all the way around. I love opening people's eyes to quality beer. My wife "only drinks DFH" these days. haha. I'm creating a monster.
    Vonstein15 and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  6. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Member

Any Stout of such as RIS- "Tastes like Robistussin!"
    Any IPA/ DIPA "Taste like Pin-Sol!" - or "How do you drink this Shit?"
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Member

My brother routinely drinks a half and half mixture of Coors light with Sierra Nevada Pale ale because "Drinking Coors light doesn't get him drunk and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is too bitter." o_O
  8. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Member

She says, "I sometimes can't stand that I'm a beer snob, no one makes a decent red anymore"

I reply,"Shorts Aorta Imperial Red is around town right now, Big Red Coq from Brewery Vivant and I have a few bottles of this one goes to 11 still if you want to give it a try"

To which she replies,"Oh no.... I hate bottled beer, it has to be on tap. Like I said I'm a beer snob..."
  9. Rizalini

Rizalini Member

When I gave my girlfriend some of my Ruination, she says "it smells like beer"... o_O
    ufmj, BetterBeerPlz and kendrahayes like this.
  10. Rizalini

Rizalini Member

Are growlers considered bottles too, or tap? Just wondering lol
    kendrahayes likes this.
  11. Duesler

Duesler Member

My favorite was when I was with my friend as his girlfriend, and I handed them both a Shocktop (they were both only BMC), and the girl goes "Whoa. Not as bad as i thought, but this is NOT a beginner’s beer!"
    I died.
    JG-90, dieBlume and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  12. kendrahayes

kendrahayes Member

At work they call it my "Gucci Beer" :)
    KevSal, dieBlume, ediaz and 2 others like this.
  13. kemoarps

kemoarps Member

I was at a friend's birthday party (she was still in college), playing a beverage game I'd rather not name. I had some craft sitting by the wayside and someone tried to take it and claim it was theirs.
    After they insisted, I just watched.
    They tried ONE sip and went to throw the cup away claiming 'something's gone wrong with this one!'
    I reiterated my point that it was, in fact, MY beer, and that there was nothing wrong with it, it just had flavour.
    They offered to throw it away for me.
    I declined.
    beergurujr and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  14. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Member

They are like boxer briefs, they are neither and both all at the same time.
    Rizalini likes this.
  15. bnuno

bnuno Member

My friend says "this is pretty good for a Firestone" after he takes a sip of Union Jack.
    JamesShoemaker likes this.
  16. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Member

.... I... I... I have no comment. That just broke my brain. :eek:
    Cinephile likes this.
  17. Cinephile

Cinephile Member

3 "YUMMMM"'s all the way around. I love opening people's eyes to quality beer. My wife "only drinks DFH" these days. haha. I'm creating a monster.[/quote]

You are creating a wallet crushing monster for sure, but doing a good deed.
  18. Gassygunslinger

Gassygunslinger Member

Hand your friend an Old Rasputin. No one can call Raspy a sissy beer, unless their beer of choice is Twen Teny. I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible.
  19. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Member

Usually:
    "It's too heavy"
    "......too dark"
    "......too bitter"
    "......too much flavor" (no kidding I've heard this)
    "Jesus you paid how much?"
    "Is this European?"
    My personal favorite when they sample my homebrew "Dude there's something wrong with it"
    godlessape and checktherhyme like this.
  20. jeremy13586

jeremy13586 Member

One time I had a customer that didn't know what he wanted and had no idea what most of our selection was (his words, not mine). I asked him if he likes beer that is more hoppy or less hoppy, since most of the non-craft drinkers I've encountered at least have a grasp on the term. He said he wasn't sure, so I gladly poured a couple of samples of varying styles (an IPA, amber ale, and German lager) to see if he liked any of them.

His answer..."I don't like hops-malty beer. I'll take a Yuengling."

Can't say I didn't try

Another favorite of mine is "Don't you guys have any REGULAR beer?"
    dieBlume and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  21. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Member

I gave my mom and dad a taste of heady topper. They nearly threw up saying it tasted like yard trimmings.
    dianimal likes this.
  22. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Member

To be fair, you can.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  23. jcb7472

jcb7472 Member

LMAO. Reminds me of my friend who is originally from Cuba. He had been drinking beers like Corona or similar his entire life, but in the last year I've gotten him to enjoy some pale ales, IPAs, belgians, etc with me and he always takes a sip and goes "I like it. A lot of flavor, papi. A lot of flavor" LOL
    Dizbro21 likes this.
  24. Rion

Rion Member

When people say this taste like soap. I also had a friend tell me that Bells two hearted tasted like finger nail polish remover.
  25. JulianB

JulianB Member

I was at a bar drinking with some colleagues, most of whom were ordering Harp lager. I got a pint of Two-Hearted, and one of them (who was an ex-marine, and an FBI officer) asked to try it. He took a sip and exclaimed "that beer's too much man for me". I actually got a chuckle out of that one because at least it was honest!
    dieBlume and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  26. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

I have no BMC friends.
    Hermthegerm, ufmj and sbxx like this.
  27. ClassicBrad

ClassicBrad Member

One that may be more for the NEPA or PA crowd would be people referring to anything other than light beer as lager. I say that it might be native to our area because of Yuengling lager marketing itself as being ordered by name. ex. "I'll take two lagers" is synonymous with "I'll take two Yuengling Lagers"

Anyways, when I am drinking anything that is craft, some of the really out of the loop BMC drinkers go out of their way to tell me that they don't like 'lager beer' as they are enjoying a Bud Light.

It seems that since Yuengling Lager is darker, they think that lagers are anything that's not light beer.
    hinemk76 and dieBlume like this.
  28. beergurujr

beergurujr Member

"Don't you got any cider beer here?"

Guy looking in the cooler:
    "Dude where's the 40's? No not that, the 40 percent shit, the Jack!" (Jack Daniels whiskey)

"Can you refill my empty barrel of Coors Light while I wait?"
  29. Steamer

Steamer Member

"I just can't choke some of those dark beers down"
  30. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

well, they're BMC drinkers, so I guess they should know :confused:
  31. ZiggyPop

ZiggyPop Member

My friend, after drinking a Delerium Nocturnum "The bottle looks cool, but whatever is inside of it isn't beer."
  32. regularjohn

regularjohn Member

went on a trip to montreal recently, brought back a bunch of different stouts and i had some while i was there as well

gave my friend an imperial stout that was around 11.5% the facial expression was hilarious and the comment followed by that was "so much flavor it taste so dirty" i know some people that are really into hard liquor, and if it comes to beer they always manage to ramble about how they just like the typical coors or whatever piss water u can think of. so if i pull out a bag from whole foods with beer in it the typical response "oh hes on that organic pricy shit" oooooooh lord lol :rolleyes:
  33. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Member

My good buddy used to only drink cheap beer because he was kinda poor. He did drink good beers, but only.rarely and never understood why I refused to drink Coors, Bud, etc. I took him out for a night of drinks on me, all pale ales, then IPA, then Bavarian wheats, stouts, etc. Then at the end of the night I bought him a Killians and he grimmaced. He was telling.me " I get it! i get it!!" He now saves his money and gets good stuff!
    Polasiuss and CMUbeerenthusiast like this.
  34. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

Guinness Guinness Guinness. That seems to be all that comes up with a beer that isn't fizzy and yellow. Maybe once and a while Blue Moon. I appreciate the effort, but its kinda sad that those are the two beers many equate to being special or different
  35. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

What kind of tailgate parties do you go to? and are they in Colorado? Cuz i'm there. haha.
  36. djrn2

djrn2 Member

It was the Steelers @ Jets in NJ. The kid was a Jet fan. He had no clue.
  37. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

The only beer I've ever seen at tailgate parties is meant to be consumed through a beer bong or shotgunned to avoid having to taste it whatsoever. St. Bernardus is quite the tailgate party!
    djrn2 likes this.
  38. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Member

I try to convert people, but if they want BMC, more craft for me.
  39. tcanaday

tcanaday Member

Everytime I go to my parent's house and let my mom try a beer, she always says "It needs salt." Cracks me up everytime.
  40. lewisti

lewisti Member

one guy I know who thinks he knows craft but really doesn't, whenever i get him to try something, pretty much no matter what the style, he says "hmmm tastes like Newcastle" that cracks me up