1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Maybe that's the only point of reference they have to compare to?
    KS1297 and Crusader like this.
  2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Member

A girl buying raging bitch hmmmmmmm:D
  3. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Member

It is a very good beer. I wouldn't quite describe it as my buddy, but it does have an intense citrusy flavor. It is definitely worth trying.
  4. tylermains

tylermains Member

On sours: "I will ride til the end of days to rid the world of his vinegar under the guise of beer!"
    beastmammoth likes this.
  5. Crusader

Crusader Member

Agreed. I remember when I had a bottle of Anchor Liberty Ale for the first time, it must have been the first beer I had which used American aroma hops. The only point of reference I could think of to compare it with was cider, since I thought it had such a fruity taste, completely different from the pale lagers I had consumed. When you haven't tried alot of different styles of beer you have to make due with whatever points of reference you have.
    frazbri likes this.
  6. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Member

It works for me, with hoppy beers, to tell people about the lupulin shift... say, yeah you may not like it now, but thats only natural. Soon that dislike will switch over and you'll love it. Turned out to be a challenge for a couple of friends and my pops. Sort of reverses that masculinity complex... A couple of my buddies get IPAs every time we're at the bar now.
    ThomasAWilson2 likes this.
  7. JRBecks

JRBecks Member

My uncle asked me why would I want to drink a foo-foo girly beer(Founders Breakfast stout) instead of Miller lite? LOL He said this because I told him it tastes like coffee and chocolate!
  8. nlmartin

nlmartin Member

Nate this is some good piss. Then they go back to raving about Blue Moon or Shock Top being good beer. Needless to say they wolfed down my great craft beer offering.
  9. concealed

concealed Member

Don't have any BMC friends
  10. JRBecks

JRBecks Member

Ahhh yes gotta love the friends that are like I love craft beer... I drink blue moon, shock top, 312 etc. I have a few of those friends as well.
    dieBlume likes this.
  11. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Member

"that could gag a maggot" - My dad, on every Pale or IPA I've had him try.......
  12. Zbyler

Zbyler Member

ah the ever present Guinness myth! I get that one all the time. People come in and ask for a good dark beer for cooking. IMO guinness is my go-to for cooking but people always act completely offended when offered one. They think its straight up motor oil and when I explain to them that it only has about 4.5% alcohol and 90 calories they look at me as if I grew a second head..... ha I love it
  13. VAphan

VAphan Member

Let my brother try the MBC Zoe. He said he liked Fat Tire much better. Did a blind taste the next night, he picked Zoe
    dar482 and Cubatobaco like this.
  14. ZimZamZoom

ZimZamZoom Member

Well I've been told that I must not like hoppy beers...after I told a BMC friend that i don't care for Rolling Rock.
  15. mychalg9

mychalg9 Member

Guy at work last week was telling me about one time his son got so wasted off of six Guinness' because they are like "double the strength" of the beers he normally drinks.
  16. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa Member

ah, the all time classic....people drinking light beer, calling craft sissy beer.
  17. StarRanger

StarRanger Member

That is when I tell them that beer in the US used to me more diverse and closer to craft beer but due to a number of factors, the macro beers have turned into something that is non-offensive flavorless that appeals to the masses instead of the few. One of those factors leading to the change was more packaged beer sales after prohibition and women buying the packaged beer so the product had to appeal to them more and the package size of a 6-pack was settled on because it was what a woman could easily carry. Then for light beers, they were originaly sold as 'Diet' beers and markedted to women but they did not sell well until marketing changed to use retired sports stars and the 'Less Filling" vs "Tastes Great" debate. I then get a blank look and they don't call craft beer 'sissy beer' any more.
    AstronautMikeDexter likes this.
  18. stallworthsbottleclub

stallworthsbottleclub Member

How much whiskey is in this?
    concealed likes this.
  19. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Member

That's hilarious. Rolling Rock is probably the blandest beer I have ever had.
  20. fishtremble

fishtremble Member

Get a whole lot of "this taste just like Guiness" or "taste too much like coffee" even though there isn't a drop of coffee in them. My favorite was trying to share a Founders Nemesis 09' with my Bush drinking neighbor one night and on his first sip he spit it on the floor of his garage. When I asked him what was wrong he just yelled that it tasted like dirty socks filled with baby shit. Needless to say he doesn't get the good stuff anymore for sampling.
  21. AstronautMikeDexter

AstronautMikeDexter Member

Exactly. I DGAF what you drink, but when someone starts insulting my choices while holding a BMC or Blue Moon, they get pretty much that exact same response from me. I usually take it one step forward and say, "My beer is girly? Tell you what, you order two of what I'm drinking, I'll order two of what you're drinking, and see which one of us can actually finish both of them."
    Usually shuts them right up.
    Gamblor14 likes this.
  22. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Member

"Don't you have any, you know, American beer?" is one I get from one of my uncles all the time, a Keystone Light drinker. I've stopped wasting oxygen trying to educate him that all of my craft beers are American, brewed and owned, while his Keystone Light is now foreign.
  23. mychalg9

mychalg9 Member

Poured a Goose Island (Honkers maybe...can't remember) for my Dad a few Thanksgivings ago and when he saw me pour it he said "Goose Island? Pffffttt. I don't drink their beer , they suck". So I drank it. Later I poured each of us a Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, out of his sight range, and after a few sips he said how good it was. After he was finished I revealed it was a Goose Island beer all along. Months later he loved Hop Rod Rye so I think the conversion is complete.
    dar482 likes this.
  24. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

So a guy in one of my group projects was talking about doing his part of this presentation on German food and beer. He mentions beer so I obviously start talking to him about it. When I mention craft beer he says:

"That shit's nasty. I won't touch craft beer. I only drink German beer and that's it. All these new breweries don't know how to make anything good."

I then tell him that there are well over 2,000 breweries in the US, and that he has no clue if he'll like them if he doesn't try them. He just says "Nope. They're not German. I'll never try them."

Dafuq?
  25. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Member

Wow, what blinders that guy has. So sad. While a lot of German beer is great, there's just as many, if not more, great Belgian, English and especially, American craft beers out there. Oh well, more excellent American craft beers for us. His loss, our gain!
    dieBlume likes this.
  26. Zbyler

Zbyler Member

and by double the strength he means its equal to the strength of lets say....... a bud light? (ha) which is about double the strength of.......water i guess? ha Classic.
  27. SammyG

SammyG Member

In graduate school back in 2004 I brought a 6-pack of Rogue American Amber Ale to my professor's house. He called the wife over + said, "Look honey, Sam brought us some good American working-class beer." Hardly, you "erudite."
    dieBlume likes this.
  28. Jake1605

Jake1605 Member

A few minutes ago I let a friend try my Stone Old Guardian Oak Smoked, she said that it tastes like wood. I informed her that she's right. It wasn't stupid what she said, but how she said it. Come to find out she didn't read the label, and indeed knows that oak is wood. I know, cool story bro.
  29. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Member

Today after tying a bottle of Supplication..my dad announced how it tasted just liked his home brew and and went on to say how he made it with "pale malt" "six lbs of sugar" and opened to the air to breathe and it tasted just like supplication...
  30. beercanman

beercanman Member

Lmfao!
  31. Kuaff

Kuaff Member

I just have to share this funny video from my favorite brewery. It's kind of related to this thread subject.

Hahahahaha! I love it.
  32. papaholmz

papaholmz Member

My next door neighbor is from Vermont (his family lives about 20 minutes from Hill Farmstead); every time he goes back home to visit, he brings me back some HF, but when I try to share some of it with him he says "that stuff has too much taste, I'll stick with my watery girl beer" as he holds up his bud light. I guess that just means more HF for me!
    dar482 likes this.
  33. dieBlume

dieBlume Member

The logic there makes me cringe. He PREFERS beer that has no taste? Why do people put up with drinking piss water when they actually know other, BETTER things are out there? Ahhhh.

-------
    Also slightly funny but triumphant story from the other day.
    Twice weekly I play table tops with some friends, and each time we bring beer. They normally drink BMC, I normally bring a craft or two unless I run out. Each time I've gotten in the habit of letting them all try a sip of my beer to try and broaden their horizons, since we're all poor and in college, etc. The last time I go, I let them try Highland Brewing's Thunderstruck Coffee Porter. (I've also let them try some quads, tripels, blonde ales, hefes, etc.)

These were essentially their replies:

"Where do you get all this fancy shit? I didn't even know they made this kind of thing?"
    "They put...coffee...in beer? Wait. What? How? I don't even-"
    "You need to start bringing more of this good stuff for us to try."

I would say that I'm becoming victorious. >:)
    dar482 likes this.
  34. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Member

And THAT is Beer Advocacy :)
    JulianB, dieBlume and Hopportunistic like this.
  35. Daemose

Daemose Member

My dad doesn't like most craft beers even though he's had plenty. He doesn't like the citrusy taste of IPAs and most stouts are too filling for him; he's willing to try anything I offer him and I'm fine with that. He just likes his beer to taste like what he's been drinking all his life.

My mom on the other hand, she'll drink anything I give her. :cool: He favorite is Black Butte.
    dar482, dieBlume and BigBarley like this.
  36. Northlax3

Northlax3 Member

I run beer tastings at my store, and while they are not my "friends", my customers routinely have something interesting to say about the beers i sample.

Last weeks Great Lakes sampling " OH EW, that tastes like sun block"

Harpoon UFO White (After explaining the beer) " O see that tastes like a light lager, like a landshark"

And I wish i could take a picture, but every 3rd persons face after trying a pale ale or IPA is priceless.
  37. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Member

My father compared Sun King's Osiris Pale Ale to Budweiser. Using the word "Hoppy" multiple times... He doesn't like those "Hoppy" beers like Budweiser.
  38. KS1297

KS1297 Member

a lot of these comments aren't that funny or outrageous considering most bmc drinkers just dont know any better. I used to think anything dark tasted like Guiness, anything wheat or citrus tasted like Blue Moon, and bitter=bad. The IPA tasting like rubberbands comment was hilarious though.
  39. BigBarley

BigBarley Member

My mom's favorite was Saint Arnold's Winter Stout. When she enjoyed that the first time, I poured her a snifter of Yeti the next night. She took a sip and said "Wwwwwwwwwwow that's not for beginners... tastes like that Winter one yesterday with all the water evaporated from it."

Well... whether she knows it or not, at least she has a fundamental understanding of the Eisbock process.

Oh, she also, without understanding her folly, took a chug of my Ruination one time (much to my dismay and amusement). She immediately looked like she'd popped 16 Warheads in her mouth, and said "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyow, is this some sort of Lemon-Flower beer for masochists?"

sometimes I bring extreme beers to her just for these moments...
    TBYoung likes this.
  40. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Member

Gave my friend a Torpedo... He says he doesn't like it, tries to sound smart and says, I only like ales, not ipas. Obviously doesn't know what ipa stands for...
    Thedrizzle likes this.