1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

"its not craft beer its crap beer"

mcrago likes this.
  2. my dad said "wow, i actually like this".... CRAZY

3. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (280) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I try not to give BMC drinkers anything too crazy, so I don't really get absurd responses. Why give someone a BA stout when their palate hasn't developed? Throw them a wheat beer or a nice pils, lager, kolsch, and chances are they will like it and perhaps even check out more craft.

4. FredT

FredT Zealot (85) Delaware Dec 29, 2012

"Since when is that what beer tastes like?"

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Ewwwwww!

JigsawRecords likes this.
  6. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My son, a Keystone light guy, once drank my whole six of Torpedo and said "Really good beer Dad".

7. I got friends that will always tell me "I drink ales, you got any?" Then I ask what type of said ales do they drink, they look at me like I'm an idiot, say they drink all ales. I give them an IPA and they recoil in disgust. They then tell me they drink golden ales mainly.

mcrago and AnotherImperial like this.
  8. "Free" often trumps "too hoppy" and all the other negative comments noted above, as well.

9. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Mine friends, usually BMC drinkers, say "Thanks, here comes Stubs with the good stuff."

After drinking a few usually "This is the only kind of stuff I'm buying from now on." Then the next time I see them its straight back to Miller Lite.

4balance, mfl620ks and deathevocation like this.
  10. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

"it's too bitter", "how can you drink that?"

The wife wont drink any, and just calls them "your expensive ass beers".

11. "I'm more of an ale drinker" when I bring stouts.

12. wife to husband looking at mix-a-six wall: Does IPA mean India Pale Ale? I don't know. It says IPA India Pale Ale. Hmm, I want to try the IPA but I don't want to look like an idiot. Hmm, IPA...let's ask the worker lady. Hey are IPAs India Pale Ale? Do you have them? Do we just buy one? Can you show me?

worker lady: Well we have lots of beers. Some are IPAs. I.. er.. I'll show you. Yes, here is one. Here is another. Um...

wife to husband: Honey, IPAs!! :D *giddy*

worker lady: :l *rolleyes*

dieBlume and Daemose like this.
  13. I'm not to concerned with what they say, I'm just bummed that once they try to the stuff I bring it ends up going first...

jchoffman and luwak like this.
  14. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

"I'll stick with my $2 PBR thank you" :oops:

15. Gave my friend a smoked beer to try:

Her: "this doesn't taste like beer."
    Me: "this is beer."

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  16. Belial

Belial Aficionado (215) Illinois Aug 9, 2005

"a lager? sounds heavy"

BigBarley likes this.
  17. "So, like, it gets you real messed up?" The beer was a bomber and was 10%abv and so I did the math for him real quick and explained its about 4 "regular beers".

18. When given a Stone Double Bastard, my friend said "tastes like ass". Guess he's tasted ass before;)

19. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

My old boss met up with me and one of my craft beer buddies at hop fest (a IPA/fresh hop tap take over at Brouwers to celebrate the hop harvest) and he consumed a Pliny (8% abv) and a Boneyard Hop Venom (10% abv) in about a 15 time span, while I still had half a glass of my first beer left. He was telling a story and then he stops mid sentence, stares at us with a concerned look, then says "wait a minute....how strong are these beers...? I feel a little too drunk already..." Then he proceeded to chug water. Hahahaha good thing he wasn't driving.

jchoffman, 4balance, joelwlcx and 4 others like this.
  20. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

My favorite is the "it's way too strong" line, which is usually followed by a conversation of how they only drink beer "to get drunk".

Big_V, JrGtr, RyanLigeia and 2 others like this.
  21. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I've heard this one countless times!! Always makes me smile.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  22. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

A girl I work with told me she doesn't like hoppy beers like Blue Moon

23. motor oil, grass, cough medicine and turpentine are a few of the gems. My family still drinks it anyway..............as long as there is alcohol, turpentine is no problem to get downo_O

outsider likes this.
  24. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (670) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

I brought some Racer 5 with me to a family party last summer. My oldest sister, who drinks Bud Light exclusively, asked me if she could try it. I warned her that it tastes nothing like Bud Light, but she was really anxious to try it. She took one sip and said "Oh my God...do they call it Bear Republic Brewery because the beer they make tastes like bear piss?" I was laughing my ass off.

25. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (515) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

[​IMG]
    "Taste like Guinness" - Safari guide in Tanzania, after finishing my Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Aged 4D.

26. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Funny because I would expect donkey to taste a little meatier. Are you sure you didn't give him a rauchbier? ;)

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  27. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

A friend of mine says of every IPA she's tried, "it's so spicy!"

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  28. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

My wife used to say that she doesn't like dark beer, until I had her try a coffee stout. I told her it was a new iced coffee drink and she (not surprisingly) loved it.

29. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

"Tastes like puddin' pops."

davey101 likes this.
  30. Mostly towards IPAs: "it's too bitter".
    Another time I once gave a friend some fresh Weihenstephaner Hefeweiisbier; takes a sip, pause for a few seconds, takes another sip, "hey this is kind of good".

31. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

lol, and on top of it, people who probably drink dark coffee, right?

32. "Why would you pay this much money for something that tastes like fresh cut grass poured into a really good beer?"

Any IPA I let my two buds try

33. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

"Tastes like terpentine."
    "You drink this?"/"How can you drink this?"
    and my all time favorite...
    "I don't know what you call this, but it's not beer!"

34. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

What the heck did she have between the two to even think one remotely tastes like the other? I hope she's not in the food business.

35. Bernerdawg

Bernerdawg Aficionado (145) Georgia Jul 18, 2011

I AIN'T DRINKING NO STEAK SAUCE

36. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Years ago i gave my die hard Busch Beer fan buddy a craft beer and his was reply "It tastes like fish" WTF?? :)

It wasnt a craft beer persay, it was a Michelob Dark Bock beer which had more flavor than most readily available beers at the time.

37. Had a friend who typically drinks Natural Light say Sierra Nevada Stout was " fuckin' nasty " . Another friend tried a Two Hearted Ale, Claimed to like it, I gave him a bottle, He took two sips then opened up a Bud Light Lime. I let another buddy of mine try a Founders Harvest Ale and he said it was a " Decent IPA ". Mind you, The only beers I've ever seen him drink are Bud Light Platinum and Corona.

38. dark beer = high gravity

39. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

"designer beer"

"tastes like leaves & twigs"

"this beer is for F*****s"

zach60614 and mfl620ks like this.
  40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

"Tar in jar, again eh?"
    Or more recently,
    Sittin' drinking a Vanilla Porter @ the bar buddy sits down "What's that syrup your drinking?"

Ravenacht likes this.