Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

She must drink a lot of Pepper IPAs...

2. "No thanks, I'm American. You don't have any bud light, or MGD?"

luwak, ColinStClaire and smutty33 like this.
  3. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

" I only drink American beer ". I handed him a 60 minute.

4. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

She was drinking Heineken t and she's a smoker. Still don't see how that translates to Ovaltine.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. You love those beers that taste like bark...
    How anyone would know what tree bark tastes like is beyond me

luwak likes this.
  6. I'd like to take a moment here and show some appreciation for those friends that, while they remain BMC drinkers, are open to experimenting. I have one such friend. He drinks Miller Light constantly. Nevertheless, I have thrown all different craft beers at him and he always enjoys them and comments on how good they are. Maybe he's full of shit and just trying to make me feel good, but at least he is open to trying new things. Lots of love to the friends who fit this description!

And to the OP's original topic. I recall giving a friend some a Smuttynose Robust Porter and they said it was way too bitter and heavy. I got what they were saying, as coming from something like Bud Light, one would think that Robust Porter is heavy and bitter. However, I then thought about what his reaction would be if he had something like Hopslam which is truly heavy and bitter (in my opinion at least). It worked out though, I tossed him a Narragansett Cream Ale which he enjoyed and I got the Smuttynose, which I enjoyed immensely.

NiceTaps and Dools9 like this.
  7. Went through an Oskar Blues lineup and my friends remarks to each:
    Mama's Little Yella Pils: "Cat-piss"
    Old Chub: "Not bad, but I don't want more than a couple sips"
    G'Knight: "this tastes like bile"
    Ten Fidy: "FUCK!!!"

fullmetal1381, slim2043 and obrike like this.
  8. I was Drinking a SN Narwhal a whole back.

Buddy described it as "Licking a piece of burnt wood!"

9. I was at a brewpub in NJ and a guy came in and asked for a Bud Light. The bartender explained that they only served the beer that they brewed on site, but that they had a blonde ale that was often appreciated by people who usually drink light beer. The guy grudgingly ordered one, and looked over at me (I'm pretty sure I was drinking a barleywine at the time) and loudly said "I usually only drink American beer, but I'll give this a shot." He drank the pint pretty quickly, paid his tab, and left without really saying much else.

10. Years ago on my 40th birthday, most of us enjoyed a bottle Sam Adams Utopias...One of my good buddies who partakes in consuming mass amounts of Coors Lite, was given a glass of Utopias.
    It was served at room temp, he took one sip and asked "What is this? You got any ice for this stuff?" He proceeded not to finish it and went right back to Coors Lite.....I tried.....

11. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I don't think your friend is just trying to please you, Prov. Two of my boys (still primarily Bud/Keystone lite drinkers) are very open-minded towards trying beers. Turned one on to Chimay blue, and now he also likes Octoberfests and dopplebocks. The other one leans more towards pales and IPAs. They still buy a lot of "Lite" tho'. As my oldest one said last night, " I just like beer". Chip off the ol' block.

12. Barrel_age_me

Barrel_age_me Zealot (95) Ohio Dec 26, 2012

Its got that "crazy taste"

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  13. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

1. That's like professional beer.
    2. Who cares what it tastes like.
    3. I love you.

JxExM likes this.
  14. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

... He can be replaced....or he can give me his cat.

fullmetal1381, hctap00, luwak and 8 others like this.
  15. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

Christmas Day I was drinking ommegang rare vos and offered some to my sister in law between her miller lites. She tasted it and said "eww that tastes just like that shock top stuff" oh well I tried.

16. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

"Mmm, this is good." I know how to get them hooked.

sacrelicio likes this.
  17. I hear that. He's a pretty genuine guy too, so I doubt he is blowing smoke. And speaking of smoke, he loved this:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/1324. I gave him a bottle when we were tailgating before an NFL game (he and I are both huge New York Giants fans). He calls it "Bacon beer" and always asks me if I have some.

kingofhop likes this.
  18. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Ride ATV's and shit happens....

MarioM and Schwantz like this.
  19. searsclone

searsclone Savant (325) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

"tastes like potpourri"

Or, my favorite, written in a Christmas card: "Thanks for the sampler of beers. Blue Paddle is now my favorite beer! The pumpkin is probably still second place though."

20. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Wow, glad I don`t smoke. I can only imagine how much that would wreck my palate.

21. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

One time when I was 18 and didnt even know there was beers other than natty light and miller light somebody had gotten an old chub as a joke. I tried it and thought it was the worst thing I've ever had in my life, I think I even spit it out. Now I absolutly love Old Chub!

22. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Dad: "That doesn't even taste like beer. It's too bitter-sweet."
    Me: "Who says what beer is supposed to taste like?"
    Dad: "Anheuser Busch and the millions of people that drink it."
    Me: "Didn't you always tell me 'commercials are made to trick you' and '8 out of 10 people are complete idiots'?"
    Dad: "What's that got to do with beer?"
    Me: "Nevermind. Give me that beer back."

gklover1, darky, calcnerd and 16 others like this.
  23. sdsurfer217

sdsurfer217 Aficionado (175) Ohio May 2, 2010

"When I drink, I want it to taste like 'beer', not all that other stuff"
    You mean hops, malts, and yeast?
    "Ya I don't want to taste that fru fru shit...just give me beer...like Coors light"

24. I have a friend that could aford to drink anything but always drinks Natty Light or Bush but I have given him a lot of my craft beers. Now when he comes to my house he always says "Hey have you got any of those grapefruit beers." meaning any IPA's.

25. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

"Why is it so bitter?" - especially annoying when it's a beer that has very little IBU'S
    "This tastes like turpentine." - let my pops try some Bruery Autumn Maple at Thanksgiving
    "That's not refreshing at all." - I didn't hand you a Gatorade
    "I don't like dark beer, it's like drinking a meal." - everything that is remotely brown/red/black to these people is heavy
    "I prefer Blue Moon." - for some reason this one really gets my goat

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  26. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I brought an assortment of local craft beer to my brother's block party last year. I figured that even if his in-laws, some of whom consider anything served in a bottle as sort of fancy, didn't want any, I'd at least have something to drink. One of the cousins, who had never said more than 2 words to me in 5 years, held up a bottle of my stuff and shouted" who's the fancy fuck who brought this stuck up beer?" I raised an eyebrow and calmly said that I did. He promptly put the bottle back and grabbed a can of Bud Lite. So sad.

davey101 likes this.
  27. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

My brother "(new belgium) Shift beer tastes like shit beer."

I just mention to him then how alot of the craft beer I drink are local smaller breweries and I feel like he appreciates that aspect.

28. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (310) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

"I had a really good India the other day"

"I really don't like hoppy beers" (I give him a Stone IPA) "This is just the right amount of hops I like"

29. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Yeah like the fourth and most important of all beer ingredients, water.

fullmetal1381 and sdsurfer217 like this.
  30. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

"But won't I get sick if I drink this dark beer after the light beer I just had?"

Schwantz, brikelly and Zach136 like this.
  31. traditionalist brits actually do make a distinction between ales and stouts however. to them, "ale" doesn't cover all top-fermenting beer, just a subset; porter and stout are top-fermenting dark beers, but not "ales".

32. my mother has always maintained that all beer tastes the same. No matter if i gave her a cream stout, a boysenberry wheat, or a DIPA, she would always cringe and say "this is all the same bitter crap!" One day i saw to it that she taste Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene. She barely made it to the sink to spit it out... all she said was "That isn't beer, its rancid vinegar"

Schwantz likes this.
  33. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I would totally drink something that tastes like fresh cut grass. I love that smell.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  34. I get the "Too much flavor." with the bonus of "You need to try a Busch Light."

mfl620ks likes this.
  35. One of my college roomates drain-poured a perfectly good, fresh Nugget Nectar while I was at work because he thought it was "spoiled."

My favorite though, is when you serve a beer to someone and they say "Oh, that is good," yet their facial expression says just the opposite..

slim2043 likes this.
  36. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

Me:Try these 50-50 Eclipse they are like Guiness
    Friend: These taste really good!
    Me:Open 2 more bottles and share.
    Friend: drinks them and passes out

Next Day
    Friend: Did anyone put anything in my drink i swear i got roofied and have the worst hangover
    Me:nope

RStang13, seplo, M1A2 and 1 other person like this.
  37. "How do you enjoy drinking that stuff, its like drinking toilet cleaner."- Friend that drinks Bud exclusively after having a sip of SN Celebration recently. How he knows what toilet cleaner tastes like is beyond me. I snatched the Celebration back and smiled. I love seeing his reaction to trying all the craft beers I give him, gives me a chuckle.

38. Jaru1026

Jaru1026 Savant (295) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2011

My Girlfriend: Every beer she ever tries "It tastes like wood".... wtf? haha

39. rubicat

rubicat Aficionado (120) Ohio Nov 22, 2012

A friend of mine who is a Bud Light drinker, was asking about the IPA's that I was drinking and said, "India Pale Ale?...I didn't know that there were that many beers imported from India." :rolleyes:

40. I usually get "Omg man , how the hell can you drink that!?!?!" I love IPAs and most don't appreciate the bitterness. Occasionally though someone actually points out the fruity/ citrus flavor and actually enjoy it.

Schwantz likes this.