1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. I have a couple of friends that refer to craft beer as "that weird beer".

2. I was told the same thing after giving a friend some Double Jack. I don't get it lol...
    Then he asked "Do you have any regular beer?" Nope ,just the good stuff! (Maybe next time he'll bring his own beer )

3. I like when friends are drinking BL platinum and try to convince me it is good beer because it is 6% abv lol , maybe good if your beer bonging it, but it taste like Natty ice to me.

JesseMurdock likes this.
  4. "Oh god, what the fuck is this shit?! Why would anyone like this?!"- me after my first IPA :). Tonight, some guy was laughing at me because I was pouring some Widmer Brrr ("Christmas beer") into a glass that had Xmas decorations on it. In my defense the glass was essentially a stemless tulip and was perfect for my SN Celebration and Obsidian Stout.

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

"Too Heavy"
    "Too Dark"
    "Too Strong"
    "Too Hoppy"

My father-in-law commented that Lone Star Bock was "too hoppy" the other night. You have to be from Texas to appreciate how ridiculously stupid that is. :)

sjs0187 and BigBarley like this.
  6. kbrinson

kbrinson Aficionado (110) Indiana Mar 5, 2010

Ask her to smell Abrasive. You might lose her.

7. Yeah, got a friend that threw out 2 or 3 bombers of "old" Cantillion awhile back.

8. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

I don't give my BMC friends craft beer. If they like it , they will want to drink up my stash!! I usually have what they like on hand and wait for them to ask to try something different.

9. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I did the same thing to someone once, only it was an Arrogant Bastard.

beercanman likes this.
  10. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Havent really heard anything too crazy. Actually most of the people i hangout like craft beer. Some are more into it than others.

I guess i just got lucky. My gf hates it for the most part. I get more flack about the cost of some stuff more so than the taste

11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

On somewhat of a different note.....my co-workers think that when I say I am getting together with a group of people for a bottle share, that we are all gay guys getting together.

JesseMurdock, RStang13 and davey101 like this.
  12. "I don't like my beer to have an aftertaste." "I could have one but there's too much flavor to drink a bunch".

13. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

If they ask I'll let them try some, otherwise I let them drink their preference and I drink my preference. If they ask for a suggestion, I'll steer them towards something like Noble Pils or Prima Pils, or maybe hefe or wit.

14. I don't know, its kind of spot on. If I'm spending 30 bucks on a bottle, yeah, that's some fancy beer.

beerme411 and Rutager like this.
  15. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I brought a 4-pack of Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner to my brother's house one night several years ago.

"This is the worst beer I've ever tasted."

My father often refers to the beer I drink as "designer shit."

feloniousmonk likes this.
  16. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

So this is just like Shock top right?

dsal89 and luwak like this.
  17. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

If anybody remembers the original Pete's Wicked Ale from the 90's....it really did taste like some of those potpourris that were popular in the U.S. back then....

18. woemad

woemad Champion (845) Washington Jun 8, 2003

The old Viking Tavern used to feature a RIS from now likewise-defunct Lang Creek Brewing called Thor's Thunder, brewed to a recipe from a former Viking bartender.

A co-worker at a former workplace, when coaxed into trying said beer, declared "This beer makes my throat itch!"

19. woemad

woemad Champion (845) Washington Jun 8, 2003

As a fan of Abyss from the beginning I'm torn between laughing and taking offense!

20. "Wow, it tastes like a mouthful of flower petals" - college friend describing Samuel Adams Noble Pils on tap

"It tastes like old tire water" - my buddy's girlfriend describing Southern Tier IPA

mellowmark likes this.
  21. Pecan

Pecan Savant (435) California Dec 20, 2012

So true. I've been able to convert so many BMC friends to craft (which they end up *actually* liking later) with this approach. I can literally just call BMC "a little girl's 4% beer" and begin the transformation.

22. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

I tried to convert my wife's 21-year-old cousin, to no avail.

In his words, the Boont Valley Amber "had too much taste to get drunk as fast as possible." Sigh.

23. "What do hops taste like anyway?"

24. Pecan

Did you mercilessly taunt him for being more like a girl than a guy and for not liking good beer because of his period? Usually does the trick. I may be a bit zealous and unrelenting, but it's for the greater good!

25. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Bought a BCBS for a friend on tap. After tasting it, he says "I don't drink liquor". He left it at the bar and ordered a Bud Lite.

craftpunk and mellowmark like this.
  26. "drinking one of your beers is like eating a plate of lasagna..its too filling".

luwak likes this.
  27. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

Regardless of the beer I'm drinking or offering - "Is that that dark beer? How do you drink that stuff?"

28. ebthorp

ebthorp Zealot (90) Illinois Dec 10, 2010

A little different but my gf will only drink stouts and sours because she says that all my other craft beers "taste too much like beer"

afrokaze likes this.
  29. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Given a Ska Modus Hoperandi "This tastes EXACTLY like grapefruit after taste."

devlishdamsel likes this.
  30. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

not sure what's worse - the casual sexism, or the fact that the casual sexism works.

Kerrie, Craigory and Pecan like this.
  31. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Well, he's gay, and spends most of his time hanging out in groups where he's the only guy, so I'm not entirely sure this argument would have held much sway.

Pecan likes this.
  32. My girlfriend still says belgians taste "fireworky." Gets me every time.

jbertsch and mychalg9 like this.
  33. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

My girlfriend whenever I'm drinking an imperial stout: "That looks thick"

JohnnyMc, mychalg9 and dianimal like this.
  34. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (690) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Gave a sip of St. Bernardus 12. Clown turned up the nose and commented, "it's way too hoppy."

davelag likes this.
  35. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

Black Tuesday......"Tastes like booze and ass"

davelag likes this.
  36. Pecan

The worst part must be the casual sexism, because it is the best part when it works and I have new craft drinking pals :)

Haha, fair enough. Going to have to try a different approach! And if he keeps rejecting craft, at least it's a great excuse to open a good beer or two every time you try. "Don't like the Bourbon County OR the Zombie Dust? Guess I'll just have to drink both...."

More on topic, I constantly have people compare anything dark to a milkshake. "BUT THE CALORIES!" And then they proceed to drink 15 BMCs.

37. Overheard at a recent neighborhood party. The names have been changed to protect the guilty.
    The parties are Pam - a dedicated Coors light drinker who's married to Jeff, who recently switched from Coors light to Bud Light.

Pam: "There goes my dumbass husband Jeff with that Bud Light stuff. He doesn't know what good beer is".

Kinda tells you about the mindset of some macro drinkers. As closed as a duck's ass.

luwak, BryanK, TychoNDC and 1 other person like this.
  38. I gave my dad a pour of enjoy by & at first he didn't mind it then after a few sips he said "fuck this, it like drinking perfume, why don't you drink a coors light once in awhile.

luwak, mellowmark and davelag like this.
  39. Beerpharmer

Beerpharmer Zealot (95) New Jersey Apr 22, 2010

Drinking a Quad
    Girl- "there's something off"
    Me- "like what- too bitter? too sweet? too much alcohol?
    Girl- "no. I don't know. I can't describe it" *continues drinking Miller Lite*

40. You failed to mention what she said after, "I'll continue drinking my Miller Lite, it's water."