1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Regardless if it's an IPA or not, my friend always says every beer I give him is too hoppy or he can really taste the hops.

He likes some quads now though.

2. Say it ain't so!! I love that beer!!

JxExM likes this.
  3. The most common one I get is "that's really hoppy" or "that's too hoppy/bitter"... When they say that about stuff like Brown Shugga' and even some stouts I'm just like "wtf?!"

4. "God, How can you drink that? That tastes awful! Where's the High Life?"

5. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Split a Backwoods Bastard with my dad. "it smells like cheese and bourbon"... I left the room only to return to him drain pouring it :mad:

Some friends say "beer is beer." "you paid too much." "it tastes like a pinecone." In regards to my BB Vanilla DL in the cellar "that beer is old now."

6. As I'm excitedly hyping up how good the beer is, we crack it open to catch the first aroma. But before the smell has even registered in my head, they've taken two sips (ie: massive gulps), set it down, and continued along with our dinner and previous conversation topic. Meanwhile, I find a corner to sit down in and cry....

Ok, maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration--but no doubt many of you have had the wind taken out of your sails like this too!

7. Ive got one for you, sir.

My girlfriend, god bless her soul, hates coffee. like puts more creamer than coffee in her cup. So she accompanies me whenever she can, and shes been to a few epic tastings. Ive given her 2 beers that have blown her mind: Young's Double Chocolate and Pisgah Chocolate Stout. Both of which are basically like chocolate milk.

Every single stout to her is nowhere near either of those. No lie, she was given 07 Dark Lord (loved, but no Double Chocolate), 11 Eclipse Grand Cru (not as good as 07 DL), and numerous others. Everything is worse than Double Chocolate and Pisgah Chocolate Stout.

She also hates, hates, hates IPAs, but we were at Great Lakes which is an assumed requirement whenever were in Cleveland. I ordered Hop Madness (formerly The Quitness)--which is a super hoppy fresh 7% IPA that is also a fruity hop bomb. She drank half of the damn thing.

I dont get her, but thats women in general.

8. +1 to that... it's the one I hear all the time. "I don't like dark beers".... Very unfortunate to see this racial profiling against good craft beer!

9. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

I just love people that pretend they know what they're talking about. I haven't read the whole thread but I'll put some of my favorite quotes I've heard from work.

"I want something dark but not too dark but nothing light either and no hops and I don't like it to be sweet or real malty either." - I'm pretty certain she described dirty water.

"Bourbon County Stout is 14.5%...still not as heavy as Guinness"

"Does HopSlam have hops in it?...I don't like hops."

And my favorite conversation I've had with someone goes like this.

Customer - "Why is it called 60 minute?"
    Me - "Because it is continuously hopped for 60 minutes. They also have a 75, 90 and 120 minute variations."
    Customer - "Yeah but is it triple hops brewed?"
    If I were allowed one act of murder in life where everyone looked the other way this person may have been stabbed repeatedly.

10. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

We have played bocce for many years with a bunch of old timers, (of which I perhaps maybe one of), and us craft beers guys in the crew were always talking about how this-n-that, and a bottle to share shout would go out and stop play while we huddled in a circle like a catholic mass with cups out. Many of the oldsters were Italian, and only a few would drink a BMC or two during the evening, but interest perked up when one of our number got back from Italy with stories of microbrews in Rome popping up all over and the packages that were slowly arriving from his shopping and contacts made. "That's where I was born!" "I thought Italy only had two breweries by law!" Followed by, "You gonna share that?" Somehow, all the Italian written on the bottle broke their hesitations, and I gotta say they really did not like most of our choices and still preferred those that were lagers and pilsners, but the dam was burst. We had a party, of sorts, where the youngsters were invited to an Italian dinner at the club and were driving our bocce friends so we brought Lemoncello and some really whack Italian brewed Quads. Good times, good times.

So, to keep this on topic, after these major turning points we did have a conversation one night about craft beer, the night we had coconut porter, raspberry lambic and chocolate stouts among others. Their universal agreement was "Why do you call thesa things BEER? Your just confusing me, I like it, but it ain'ta beer!"

11. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

My non-craft friends (yea, I still have a few) usually say, "Oh, this is that crazy type beer huh!?"

This comment is usually followed up with me snatching back the Union Jack (or something of the like) bottle I just offered them.... Cuz, why waste good beer on simple palates!

12. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

"That expensive, crazy beer"

13. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (385) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Well, Miller is still made in Wisconsin....
    Bud is still made in St. Louis....
    Amongst other places...hahaha

There is some credence to the idea they are "Domestic."
    It's just that the profit goes off-shore (At least Miller/Bud are Union, so AT LEAST the workers are keeping a decent portion of the profit...but still not much).

I never shy away from telling the tale of Foreign ownership of Inbev/Anheuser/Goose Island or Miller/Coors.
    But, maybe that's easier in the Midwest; people here still try to drive domestics and things like that.
    Apparently that's a hard conversation in other places...?

14. That's actually a compliment for that beer, and I love craft...

15. rholmes

rholmes Aficionado (105) Florida Sep 11, 2012

"It's like Sam Adams...but stronger!" When a friend of mine tried Hoptimum.

JG-90, JxExM and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  16. "Yeah, I like it..."

Find 3/4 of their glass full an hour later or after they left.

RStang13 and SometimesIfart like this.
  17. My objection isn't with the BMC stuff being labelled domestic, but rather all the American-brewed (and owned) craft beers being shelved under "import" simply because they aren't cheap light adjunct lagers.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  18. A Bud Light Lime loving friend of mine actually liked Siberian Night. And I mean he actually liked it, it wasn't one of those " yeah that's good " as he cringes. But then he told me Ruination was the worst IPA he has ever had and that it didn't compare to Henry Weinhard's. I've come to the conclusion that the majority of these BMC drinkers just can't be reasoned with.

mychalg9 likes this.
  19. Explains 95% of the people I give craft beer to.

20. When u go to the liquor store with one of your buddies who says he can't drink that "cheap crap" anymore and wants to start drinking craft beer and grabs a 12 pack of blue moon hahaha

21. "That's different."

-- My uncle expressing his disapproval of Surly Darkness in native Minnesotan

22. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Ughh, I'll stick to Miller Light!

23. All beers can't be Zima.

searsclone likes this.
  24. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I gave my friend a drink of my Surly Abrasive once and he only drinks coors light. The look of bitterness on his face was absolutely priceless. He then said, "What the hell is this?! I have a buzz already and it feels like my tongue is coated in fucking hops!! Nasty!!"

On Saturday I told my girlfriend to take a sip of my BCBS. "This is gross, it tastes like motor oil and soy sauce."

25. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Absolutely! Was worth the taxi fair.

26. dertyd

dertyd Savant (400) California Mar 23, 2010

Well even tho I got my best friend a bmc guy likeing craft beer I quit trying. To give my good beers to people that don't apppreciate craft beer but its funny they say they don't like it at all they drink budwieser and then when they find out I went to the beer shopee and went beer tasteing they get mad at me for not inviteing them makes me laugh

27. rayre

rayre Initiate (0) California May 13, 2010

"OH... It's got a real.... WEIRD taste." (accompanied with fish puckering face of horror)

It's just hops people!

28. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I let my dad have a sip of Bourbon County. He said it tasted like church wine. (Shit, if that was really the case, I'd be going to church a lot more often.)

JxExM, WoodburyMN, luwak and 3 others like this.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I usually get "this tastes like soy sauce!" that that beer.

Well, it DOES kinda taste like soy sauce. :)

ediaz likes this.
  30. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Next time reply with "Why, thank you!"

WagonCircler likes this.
  31. When I gave my uncle some Rogue Santas Private Reserve ale he said "you like your beers with a perfume scent, dont you?" then after another sip "I can't drink this stuff"

32. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The stout thing I can at least understand, what with the sweetness blocking out all of the roastiness, although I'm not sure how that equates with liking Dark Lord.

I got the surprise of all surprises from my now-wife last year. She strongly dislikes IPAs, and even hoppy pale ales. I've gotten her drinking Tripels, Quads, and some barrel-aged stuff, so she's definitely into certain styles of craft beer, but hops are a big no-no. Well, she meets me out at a Pliny the Younger tasting, and to my mild surprise buys a ticket for a pour of Pliny. I figure, good for me, I'll get a second glass. She proceeds not only to drink the whole thing, but to tell me how good it was. This from a woman who cringes every time I make her taste something even remotely hoppy.

33. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Over Christmas, I let my family sip on some of the sours I had with me. My aunt, who does drink the occasional craft beer, referred to all the sours I had as "colon cleansers." I loved all my families facial expressions when they tried these sours.

jgluck and luwak like this.
  34. klinger

klinger Aficionado (180) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

I have a friend who, when we tailgate, will eat everything in sight and washes it all down with a bunch of BMC lights. Says our beer is too heavy. As soon as we enter the stadium, he proceeds to get nachos and a couple slices of pizza. Although, he is kind enough to always bring some crafts to the tailgate for the rest of us.

luwak and creepinjeeper like this.
  35. SaisonDeath

SaisonDeath Aficionado (125) Jun 20, 2012

This thread makes me appreciate my friends a lot more now.

RStang13 likes this.
  36. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

A guy at work was telling me about some really strong Russian beers that he has had (he didnt name names) and after that he said "Have you ever had a beer from India? They make all those pale ales and stuff..."

luwak, afrothunder and Kerrie like this.
  37. Was it Ten Fidy? :rolleyes:

38. My drummer once told me my Stone IPA tasted "LIKE A FUCKING CHRISTMAS TREE"

JxExM, jgluck and luwak like this.
  39. my ex used to call every beer I drank "cough syrup"...whether it was a stout, porter, IPA, etc...

40. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

"It's too bitter".