1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Funny things your BMC friends say when given craft.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nquigley16, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

"what is this, a dark beer?" (referring to any beer)

2. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

When people know very little about a subject they can only make statements that show their ignorance. This is why most people basically talk about nothing. When they do feel the need to say something they parrot what they heard on "The Ticket." When they actually go out on a limb and say something original, it is usually demonstrates their ignorance. Welcome to civilization, where most people contribute nothing except stupid offspring and vote for the candidate that offers them the free lunch.

3. I gave a BCBS to one of my college interns. He said he would drink it to start the night. When I asked him how he liked it he responded with" I thought it would get us fired up. Instead I drank it and wanted to crawl into bed and cry myself to sleep".

I still laugh about that one.

The other funny one was a buddy told me he doesnt know what is worse, that I drink fancy sissy beer or that I am a big enough sucker to pay for the brewery glass that somehow magically makes the beer taste better. Was drinking a chimay blue in the proper glass at the time.

Good times

4. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

You have to wonder how people know some of these things...ummmm...maybe not, come to think of it.

BeerKangaroo, Jimjohson and JrGtr like this.
  5. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Savant (275) Florida Jun 30, 2011

Took a bottle of Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek to my parents house this Thanksgiving and had it while helping my mother cook. Poured 5 glasses and the only one who truly enjoyed it, besides myself obviously, was my grandmother who doesn't drink. Very heartbroken because that came back from Belgium with me :(

luwak likes this.
  6. What's a BMC friend?

luwak and jglowe77 like this.
  7. I will pretty much never insult someone's choices in beer unless they make a negative comment about mine, but if someone drinking a BMC ever called something I was drinking a "sissy beer", they'd get an earful about how what they are drinking is the real sissy beer.

Jimjohson and hardy008 like this.
  8. bnuno

bnuno Aficionado (155) California Feb 8, 2011

Brother-in-law (exclusively drinks only Coors products), gave him a sip of my SN Hoptimum and he responds: " you might as well drink Wine Coolers."

jgluck likes this.
  9. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

I was out watching the hawks game last night at a bar. Decided to order a bottle of Rye Da Tiger to split with my brother. It took him about a minute to finish his half... and after chugging the last 6oz he put the glass down, looked at me and said, "that's a damn good beer."

Better than nothing I guess.

markrmoser and EdelweissDad like this.
  10. To be honest my experience with a Duchesse de Bourgogne last night lead me to this thread. I've never had such a negative reaction to a beer in all my days than that particular beer. I get it, it's a Flemish Red, I've had other Flemish beer I actually quite like but this Duchesse...wow...overwhelming stench of vinegar with hints of vomit. I had to drain pour.

11. Someone who drinks Bud/Miller/Coors

WoodburyMN likes this.
  12. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (395) Florida Jan 2, 2013

As a bartender, i always like it when people say, "i like dark beer, but nothing as heavy as Guinness". You should see their faces when i tell them it has fewer calories than any of the other 62 beers on tap. Guinness? Heavy? Ha!

13. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Anything that might disprove someone's pre-conceived notions or insult their intelligence is a hard conversation, better left avoided. Especially if they aren't on the same page or don't have as good of an understanding as you. Especially if they are drunk. AND especially if the topic is of minimal importance.
    BTW I am from the Midwest (MI).

14. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

"You paid how much for a six pack" Are you nuts?"

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  15. It was actually quite funny. We bust each others chops all the time. I did not take it as an insult, just that I needed to find a reason he was a bigger puss and saying oh yeah you drink an even sissier beer wouldn't work.

16. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (390) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

OH!
    Now, that I haven't seen.
    Out these ways, and anywhere else I've lived, Craft was its own section, imports their own, and then there is a cooler of BMC junk.
    Maybe it's just a legacy since the Midwest has actually kept a broader diversity of breweries when the rest of the country had only BMC (of course, this is before everyone was bought out).

JrGtr likes this.
  17. While pouring my Narwhal : "Oh, you can just seeeeee the flavor."

18. huh?

19. corbenlee

corbenlee Aficionado (160) Indiana Apr 27, 2011

Oh this is pretty comparable to Guiness.

bilboTbaggins likes this.
  20. Unfortunately, this is very common due to Guinness being the only real dark beer in the public eye for a lot of people. Anything dark = Guinness.

frankthetank86 likes this.
  21. MightyDog

MightyDog Aficionado (220) Texas Aug 22, 2012

"I'm just kidding...I don't drink BMC"

22. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (390) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

He said, in his area, Craft Bier isn't located in the "Domestic" section, which causes people to look at it as a "Fancy foreign" product, because that's where it is stocked.

I commented that in my part of the Midwest, Craft Bier has it's own section, DISTINCT from BMC and Imports.
    I theorized this is because the Midwest has had non-BMC biers long before Craft was what it is today (Schlitz, Schell, Leinenkugel's, Point, Old Style, PBR, City, etc.). My Grandpa NEVER drank BMC. He's an Old-Style guy since the 50's. I've been introducing him to Craft. He doesn't know most of them, but he knows most of the guys I listed above; they're regional breweries that have been around for a long time (by American standards).
    Being settled by so many Germans, we've had a LOT of regional breweries kicking around, even during the darkest days before Craft came around.
    It seems like THAT section of the liquor store has been expanded and filled with Craft.

Jimjohson likes this.
  23. Gotcha. I just thought craft beer having it's own section was the norm now, regardless of which part of the US you're in.

24. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Tailgating at a Dolphins game, handed out Jai Alai to a couple friends
    Friend #1 "Taste's like Guiness and papaya!"
    Friend #2 "Wow I didn't know they made pineapple beer!"
    Friend #3 "This indian beer isn't that bad!"

25. Letting my friend try a Third Coast Old Ale from a Snifter. " Tastes like wood, cherries, booze, and disgusting. Hand me a Lime Cactus ".

26. My mom calls everything I drink around her during the holidays, "motor oil."

Vitacca likes this.
  27. JohnFatAss

JohnFatAss Savant (410) New Jersey Jan 22, 2011

"I want my beer to taste like beer"

Premo88 and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  28. My wife after catching a whiff of Cantillon Classic Queuze: "Ooooo, it smells like feet!"

techster14 likes this.
  29. Yeah, Utopias is a pretty harsh beer to start a BMC drinker on.

30. Ah! Mr Clean doesnt have nearly the sweet hop as 120.

JackofBlades likes this.
  31. " This Fore Smoked shit isn't a craft beer, Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is ten times craftier and better than this and it's actually good "

Now that one gave me a good laugh.

32. Nick1513

Nick1513 Aspirant (35) Jan 26, 2013

I was drinking something from Stone (I think it was Ruination or Double Bastard) and my mom wanted to taste it. She looked like she was going to throw up. I knew she wasn't going to like it since her favorite beer is Corona.

BeerDrinkersSociety likes this.
  33. "HACK ! -cough- UGH ! ACK ! Must...not...experience...FLAVOR..."

endovelico and Jimjohson like this.
  34. "Dude.... this is amazing. It's like ALL flavor!"

Not even joking.

endovelico, kemoarps and jebsinger like this.
  35. abkayak

abkayak Savant (340) New York Jan 8, 2013

my wife tried my NN last night...."this is even worse than regular beer" but Mom loved the Deviant Dales

36. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

They don't say much because their facial expressions tell me all I need to know.

BeerDrinkersSociety likes this.
  37. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (865) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

While tailgating I offered a guy a ST Bernardus 12. He asked if it was an IPA. I almost spit the beer in my mouth right in his dumb ass face.

acurtis, jgluck and squirrely2005 like this.
  38. BJasny

BJasny Savant (375) Texas Jul 10, 2011

"Did you put something else in here?"

Danmullens1, jgluck and semibaked like this.
  39. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Just had a customer come in today and get 2 cases of Natty Light and he asked me if anyone buys "That Wild Beer" and he pointed to our craft beer section, I said yes, it is a good seller and getting more popular all the time, he said "I guess I am too much of a tight wad to buy that".

xanok likes this.
  40. CrisLin

CrisLin Zealot (85) New York Nov 27, 2012

Gave my roommate a Nugget Nectar, he said it taste like a "bitter blue moon" wanted to rip the beer off his hand!