1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Furst Wallerstein

Discussion in 'Germany' started by oberon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. oberon

oberon Member

I noticed some Furst Wallerstein offerings at one of my local beer stores here in North Carolina and picked up the Clasic and Zwickel.I have not tried the Zwickel yet but was just blown away by the Classic and Iam big hophead.I was wondering is Furst Wallerstein a well regarded brewery in Germany or are they a small operation that doesn't distribute around the country?Iam looking forward to trying all their offerings,great stuff.
  2. boddhitree

boddhitree Member

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I just ordered a Winter Böckle from them, and reviewed it in the thread Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk. I haven't had any others from Fürst Wallenstein, but this was quite good. Cheers
  3. BrewZ

BrewZ Member

They have some great beers that are brewed in a nice copper brewhouse on a little hill in Wallerstein. You can surprisingly find a few of their beers in Munich Rewes. Also, after hearing a claim that they brew the most expensive beer in German that sells for ~100€, I was skeptical.

http://www.biershop-bayern.de/index.php/schwaben-allgaeu/fuerst-wallerstein-brauhaus.html

Scroll down and see for yourself! You can also find the beer at Dallmayr in downtown Munich. And the brewery's location is a mere few kilometers from where they produce some of the cheapest beer in Germany...Oettingen!
    boddhitree likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

Below is something I posted in another thread previously which discusses Furst Wallerstein Zwickel (in boddhitree prose):

So, yesterday I was eating some Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with fresh Pico de Gallo and I thought to myself: I wonder how a Kellerbier (Zwickel) would go with this? I recognize that my choice of food selection is not as elegant as yours but ….

So, I popped open my bottle of Furst Wallerstein Zwickel. It is a large bottle (500 ml) so I had to get my biggest beer glass for this. It poured a nice tawny color and it had the unmistakable smell of a Franconian Kellerbier; a very pleasant combination of bready malt, subtle hops and some ‘yeasty’ smell. I haven’t even taken a sip and I thought to myself: this is going to be very good. My first sip realized my expectation; this beer is very, very good. I could describe the taste/flavors in my own words but your words fit the bill appropriately:

“The aroma is both lightly bread-malty & lightly hoppy, so they were right on the aroma hops, probably Tettnanger, Hersbrücker or another noble hop. The taste is both malty and lightly noble-hoppy, nothing terribly wowing, but really, really easy to drink. There's no one flavor that overpowers, and they blend together very well! Also the mouthfeel is neither too thick or too thin, maybe exactly in the Goldilocks zone needed to make a very süffige (pleasant to drink, drinkable), creamy beer. Damn, I'm usually not a Pils fan, but this is maltier than a Pils and less hoppy than, too. But then again, the warmer it gets, the bitterer the aftertaste. I can really dig this beer.”

Cheers!
    boddhitree likes this.