FW Sucaba - SoCal Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by luisc123, Feb 9, 2013.

1. How far south has this made its way? Almost forgot it was being released amidst all the BA Bigfoot hoopla.

2. There was a Santa Barbara report.

I tried a BA Bigfoot. Liked it, but Sucaba >>> BA Bigfoot.

3. Whole Foods dude in the valley told me they're expecting it in this coming Friday. so take that for what its worth.

4. Northridge Total Wine told me they'd either have it in store on Monday 2/11 or that it was shipping to them on that date. Person I spoke to wasn't too sure but said to give the store a call Monday.

5. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

Hit SB 3 or 4 days ago.

6. PG2G

PG2G Savant (470) California Dec 26, 2011

Asked at the Whole Foods in El Segundo today and he said it was coming later in the month. Didn't seem especially sure though

7. Supposedly this Thursday in LA. Supposedly...

8. Would love to hear when this hits LA.

Library Alehouse is having a barleywine event next week and will have some

9. Whole Foods Porter Ranch expecting tomorrow. Twitter @wfmporterbrew

10. Any spots on this one around OC? Called around to a few places and no dice. Dimensions gets their weekly shipment tomorrow and is on the lookout for it.

11. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

Just received confirmation that 1 case of Sucaba will be arriving in DTLA on Monday. It should be on my doorstep when I get home. :D

hopsputin likes this.
  12. Where's it arriving?

13. drgonzo2k2

Believe it or not, due to the price breakdown, including CA sales tax and CRV, plus Firestone's weird distribution in SoCal, it's actually cheaper by about 10 cents per bottle (including shipping) to order it from a nearby state that gets it about a week before it shows up in LA.

Unfortunately, they just emailed me to confirm my order and let me know that they were now sold out, or I'd give you the link.

BTW - I based my price breakdown on typical BevMo Pasadena pricing for FW Proprietor's Reserve Series, as this is generally one of the first "LA Area" discount type liquor stores to get these beers. Total Wine Northridge seems to be the other. Just my experience.

Cheers!

14. drgonzo2k2

FWIW - The Firestone Finder seems to indicate it is now on tap @ Surly Goat. I have note verified that.

15. of course just afterrr I get back to the westside :p haha

16. 2 cases arriving at my shop in DTLA tomorrow. Stingy!

Rocket80 likes this.
  17. Which shop?

18. drgonzo2k2

Hey! Good to see you here!

Rocket80 likes this.
  19. illini372

illini372 Zealot (80) California Feb 10, 2009

Some at Sunset Beer Company yesterday.

20. mlobster

mlobster Disciple (65) California Dec 30, 2012

Seen at Buzz, Ramirez and Bill's Liquor. The latter is gouging by a ridiculous amount, the former only received 2 cases and middle just got their stuff in today.

21. OC / SD / San Berdo / South Bay should all be getting it early next week ... Just got to our warehouse on Thursday and it will be in all warehouses on Tuesday ready to go out on Wednesday.

Korker likes this.
  22. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Just got an automated email that BevMo Pleasanton has like 50+ bottles. Which is weird, because I sure as hell didn't sign up for that store.

JustXBeer likes this.
  23. Haha, same here.

24. Sounds like somebody's email notification system went awry.

25. As much as I love Bill's, they are often that few bucks more pricey than I expect. Though I guess that just leads to why they're good. You can find last year's bottles of stuff like this and Parabola on the shelf or in the back if asked.

Picked up 1 at Ramirez. More than what I usually pay at WF, but just wanted to secure one in.

26. I saw a bunch at TW Cucamonga yesterday.

27. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

I always panic about these FW releases because they fly off the shelves when they first land, and I end up calling everywhere and paying several extra dollars (often at Bill's) to make sure I get one. Then, like a month after I get my bottle, it seems like there are cases sitting on the shelf at every whole foods in town. I'm gonna hold off for a bit on this one and see if it pays off.

28. Yeah, this is how I remember it playing out last year.

29. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

There was literally too many cases to count at the Total Wine in RC. At one per person and that price point, it should last a while.

30. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (290) California Jan 12, 2009

Had Sucaba today.... very nice! Lots layers of flavors...lots of vanilla, loved it.

31. I saw the bottle at bills for $31.99 and I was like "last time I'm shopping here." Ramirez has it for $17.99 which was also pricey, but I decided to bite the bullet because I didn't want drive around looking for one. I'll pick up another bottle if I see it under $15 bucks. Is Sucaba too hot to drink fresh?

32. Wait, Bill's is selling Sucaba for $31.99? you are joking right?

33. $31.99? Great Gobfucks! Do you get your choice of his netherholes to shove the empty bottle when you're done? I'm just thinking that if Mr. Bill enjoys inflicting such financial pain, he might crave a little discomfort as well.

34. No joke. Here's a picture I posted on Instagram.

http://followgram.me/i/390890847018829828_2985145

35. wow. I didn't think it was THAT much higher, way more than "a few", but yeah. Now it makes complete sense why they'll have bottles sitting there for the year.

Yeah, Ramirez was a few bucks more than I wanted to pay, but went with them because it saved me the $3 on gas it would take to drive around. Will also be waiting as it's a given that this sucker will be on some shelves come a month or two.

36. mlobster

mlobster Disciple (65) California Dec 30, 2012

The $31 price tag was what I meant by ridiculous price gouging since I was fine with the $17 that Ramirez charged because Buzz was also selling bottles for the same price.

37. The excessive pricing is kind of an insult to regulars. I'm reluctant to support a business that chooses to shaft its customer base by raising the price so high.

38. called Ramirez this morning - they're out.

39. I hear Ramirez's Pico store may be opening within the next week. I would keep my ear to the ground there as they've been storing some amazing stuff for their grand opening.

40. drgonzo2k2

WOW! That is literally over twice what I paid for my bottles. They should just be ashamed, and I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't know better than to pay that.

Edited to say that this is one of the "goto" bottle shops in LA that I'd not yet been to, and I've recently been considering checking them out. After seeing this, I definitely will never be making that trip.

Angst likes this.