1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

FW Sucaba - SoCal Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by luisc123, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (225) California Mar 21, 2010

$31.99 is shocking. Bill's lately has been marked up a buck or two, but their selection is usually pretty good so I haven't really minded too much. But Jesus (and Butt Jesus) so much for going there for special releases.

2. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

I stopped in there today, saw the $32 Abacus and left without buying anything, they had a few things I would've grabbed. Some things have crept up in price lately ($6 Pliny) a bit, but this one is just stupid. Pretty decent little store that is close to my work and I'd like to support them even if they charge a bit than Bevmo etc. But if they're fine with trying to suck as much as possible from us, then I don't care if they lose business.

Angst likes this.
  3. Zerric

Zerric Aficionado (145) California Jun 30, 2010

The reason Bills had a 3199 price tag is a mistake in calculation, it was a 12 bottle case not a 6 bottle case, so when doing the math on Cost per bottle, it came twice as high. X / 12 bottles = vs X/6 bottles. Ive done it myself before as has anyone in the biz. This includes the big stores. The price was supposed to be 15.99 im sure. Shit at Stearns I had 3F golden blend at 47 dollars for a 12 oz before I caught the mistake :D.

4. I guess no one's perfect but is that the real reason? I mean, the only time FW bombers come in cases of 6 are the anniversary beers. Otherwise, all other proprietor's reserve beers come in 12 bottle cases.

5. ...or he made the mistake as you suggested, then decided that $31.99 was a nice, round number and stuck with it.

6. They posted on Facebook asking anyone who payed $31.99 to come in to be reimbursed.

thedirtyname likes this.
  7. Stopped by Bill's and looks like they fixed the price. They had Sucuba priced at ~$17.50 after tax and whatnot. One per person limit with 3 left after I grabbed mine round 630.

8. Still tons at TW in Rancho Cucamonga.

9. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (480) California Aug 24, 2012

I think that's a fair LA area price for this, and I'm glad to see the reversal. I hope anyone that my have accidentally paid too much can get their money back, and I'll reconsider what I said earlier and be sure to stop by and check this place out.

10. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (295) California Jul 12, 2012

14.99 at bevmo. cases on friday. not sure what's left.

11. Whole Foods Porter Ranch/Northridge just got some cases!

12. Which Bevmo would that be?

13. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (295) California Jul 12, 2012

Check your local ones and TW. I got these on LaCienega / Beverly. And please throw them into the cellar for a few months. I decided i had to try one. Rest went into the closet really fast.

14. I live in San Diego - it's unlikely we'll see it this week, save for maybe a few of the specialty shops.

15. San Diego just got a couple pallets today ... Starting to go out tomorrow to stores

oxcitypauze likes this.
  16. Time to gas up the car, I guess.

17. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

So, I have to put my pitchform away? ::sadpanda::

18. I looked closer at the picture and it is a 2013. At first I thought it was aged a year or two more.
    $14.99 at the Whole Foods Market in Northridge / Porter Ranch

19. Library Alehouse is having a barleywine event tonight. Selling bottles of 2013 and 2011. The Sucaba was jacked up to $30 so split with a friend if you really want to have

20. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (270) California Dec 1, 2011

None for OC yet. Stopped in one of my local shops and the rep happened to be there talking to the owner. The owner asked when he was getting his case of it, and the rep told him its not even in their warhouse till first week of March. So OC gets theirs far after SD, fantastic.

21. I'm not sure I believe that report entirely. If it had gone out to stores yesterday, I'd have already gotten a few messages from the people that always get out the highly sought beers first.

22. Green Jug got it today. $14.99, limit two.

23. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (425) California Mar 13, 2009

Still none in SD.

24. mshen

mshen Disciple (60) California Jun 22, 2012

Whole Foods Tustin got a shipment today. Picked up a bottle at lunch.

25. Dammit i stopped by yesterday to check and they hadnt got them yet.

26. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

Mr kegs got 2 cases today. I purchased about an hour ago.
    Mr kegs got two cases today, 14.99 a bottle. Bought mine about an hour ago.

27. I just got one from the WF in Tustin. There are 17 left, 1 per person @ $14.99 a bottle.

28. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

bevmo mission valley.

29. You've got to be kidding me - they generally are the *last* Bevmo to have special releases.

30. aztec87

aztec87 Zealot (95) California Aug 30, 2012

got 2 this afternoon.

31. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (390) California Jul 1, 2009

I was there yesterday afternoon and I got a bottle for 13.99. I'll have to re-check my receipt. But I could of sworn it was 13.99. Also got a bottle of Ritual Extra Red Ale. Had the Big Deluxe which I thought was very good for a imp oatmeal stout.

32. tyrsis

Site usually updates at midnight, I'm not seeing any in their inventory.

33. mookihouse

mookihouse Savant (265) California May 11, 2012

I noticed BevMo in SD no longer put limited release on their website. Abyss, BA Bigfoot,, Sucaba came to the stores and were never entered in the on-line inventory.

34. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

You could be right, I just looked at the tag in the cooler when I grabbed one. I did a mix six, so if its a dollar off I doubt I'd even notice.

dcgunman likes this.
  35. SageO

SageO Savant (420) California Jul 13, 2010

I don't think it's just SD - I'd been keeping tabs on the BevMo stores up in NorCal so that I could tell a couple of my friends when they could go out and buy some, but it never materialized in their inventory either. Drat.

36. jamex

jamex Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2010

Edit: Eh, guess it's gone.
    Edit #2: Maybe not, just bought one.

37. tyrsis

Why is it when I search for "sucaba" nothing comes up?!

38. tyrsis

Hmm, when I attempt to add to cart, I get "We're sorry, we were unable to locate enough inventory for Firestone Sucaba."

39. tyrsis

NM, it was trying to pick up from Mira Mesa...

user error

40. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (310) California May 1, 2010

Already got my six bottles. Suck it! :D