1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FW Sucaba - SoCal Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by luisc123, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Also in stock at La Jolla, I just placed an order.

That link is a little wonky. Sometimes selecting a different store gives you a "no inventory" message. Make sure to select the store you want to check inventory at first, then close out of that window and re-clink the link so that the link takes you directly to the stock of the store you're interested in.

2. That's strange, I show no inventory there. Not even a beer named Sucaba (or Abacus or anything close under Firestone Walker).

3. Just picked one up but they are running low, about 6

marcron03 likes this.
  4. Use the link earlier in the thread and do that whole select store first, close window, then re-click link thing I mentioned. I've been doing this to watch stock levels in La Jolla since last night before placing my order this morning.

EDIT: Just checked and getting a no inventory message now. Hope you were able to get some pmarlowe

pmarlowe likes this.
  5. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Holiday has it now, $17.99. Limit 1.

6. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Ordered two from BevMo Mission Valley.

jamex likes this.
  7. 30 still available at the Santee location, if you want to take a little trip down the ol' 52 East today.

8. Anyone been to tustin whole foods in yhe last hour amd know if they have any left ? Just about to get off work and wamted to know before i drive by?

9. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

I found I had better luck at Bevmo by loggin in first.

10. PG2G

PG2G Savant (375) California Dec 26, 2011

Available at Wholefoods El Segundo and Total Wine Redondo Beach (1 bottle per person at both)

11. Don't know about them but Bevmo Irvine called me today and told me they just got their shipment. Not too far from The District

12. Sisky

Sisky Aficionado (220) California Dec 16, 2012

Still some at the Bevmo in Ventura.

13. Got one at bradleys in tustin. Thanks for the info though

14. Picked one up at Dimension (i think they are out now). Limit was one per and those guys rule. Was goimg to age it flr a year but i think i will crack it open for friends tomorrow.

15. Yah - San Diego is getting drained, quickly. Bristol Farms blew through an entire case today...

16. BevMo Oceanside had 2 cases today in the back. You had to ask for it. 2 bottle limit. $15.99 (minus BevMo discount). I paid a little over $32 for the 2 bottles including tax.

17. BevMo in Torrance had three cases when I was there at 7:30. $14.99

18. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Hi time - yes
    Bevmo Costa Mesa - yes
    Bevmo Orange - no
    my local shop that has gotten a case of all the boxed beers for the past 2 years - no

seems like they changed up who is getting it, weird.

19. MMVolcom

MMVolcom Aspirant (30) California Sep 23, 2012

Whole foods Huntington Beach got 2 cases today..

20. jaylib

jaylib Aficionado (210) California Sep 11, 2010

Bevmo Rolling Hills had about 3 cases last night. 14.99 each

21. TW Northridge mut have 15-20 cases. $14.99 no limit

22. Picked up a second bottle today at o'shea's to cellar. They had two left as of an hour ago.

23. They went through 4 cases of it that quick? The guy told me to come back late afternoon today when i went last evening. I went back at 1030 this morning knowing no way they would last that long

24. There were only two that i saw on the rack left. I don't know if he had more in the back

25. tyrsis

Yeah, because the beer guy sold an entire case to a friend of mine! Jerk...

26. Your friend, the beer guy, or both? I'd be curious to know which beer guy it was. The guy that told me they got a case and sold it all didn't mention it was to one buyer, but then again he didn't say it wasn't...

27. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

So good! I got mine from FW and they had DDBA and Parabola from last year!!!!
    Already drank a bottle and have two left for aging.

28. tyrsis

Both. Fuck'em.

29. wholefoods newport beach are getting 2 cases tomorrow. and if anyone of yall looking for the
    firestone double dba, sierra nevada brux. wholefoods in torrance got tons :)
    http://www.instagram.com/wfmspecialty

dcgunman likes this.
  30. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

I'm happy with my one bottle of Sucuba. And to go along with one bottle of BA Bigfoot! Will keep for later.

31. Science bless Firestone Walker. I was able to grab two bottles from Bevmo last Friday, and three more from the same Bevmo yesterday. FW's ability to produce such a world class beer in quantities where you don't have to scramble or wait in lines to obtain it is a breath of fresh air as ever increasing numbers of beer geeks compete for the same limited supply of oxygen.

pmarlowe, albertq17 and Rainier like this.
  32. People still compete for it when it first comes out in San Diego. For example, tyris's douchenozzle friend that bought an entire case from Bristol Farms (who shouldn't have given them the entire case). Luckily, we have certain large organic grocery store chains with beer guys that will "bleed" out these beers at a slow rate, meaning that you usually can pick up a bottle or two on a normal grocery trip.

I popped open a Sucaba 2013, and found it a bit harsh, hot, whatever you call it. I finished the bomber a day later, and found it a lot better. I can't imagine that a little oxidation helped, so it must have been one of those taste variation things.

33. tyrsis

It began trickling in to SD last week, but there are still places I know have not received it yet. Be patient, San Diegans.

34. I saw 4 bottles for sale at gas station/liquor store yesterday. They were priced at $19.99. They also had DDBA and 16th Anniversary.

35. I know that a few of the "independent" places are expecting shipments next week. As long as you get comfortable with the timing of it, I like this better. Let the real dedicated grab up the first batches, then swoop in later for the subsequent rounds.

36. ^^what he said^^ Typically brawny BA Barley - bit of a hot mess, overly bitter hops, likely smooth out in a few month to taste great.

37. Did myself a little beer hunting and found a bunch at Total Wine Tustin (in the customer sevice pit) and BevMo Irvine (in the cold case)

Limit one at each

PtE also at TWT

38. Hit Mira Mesa area today

39. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (665) California Dec 15, 2012

Hacienda Beverage had a case today. I bought my one bottle (limit).

40. Total Wine in Northridge has them out on the shelf with no limit. $14.99 a bottle if I saw correctly.

mlobster likes this.