1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

GA breweries and the laws that keep them down

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by bctdi, Jul 25, 2012.

1. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Member

I have seen a few people mention the ABV limits. While I think it is completely ridiculous, does anyone really see that as a big issue? How many beers are made that are above 14% that we could possibly see distributed here? Like 10-15 maybe? All I can think of is a few from DFH, Utopias, and a few from Avery. Others that were above like the BrewDog stuff still ended up on the shelves by skirting around the law.

Maybe that was just an example on your part, but I thought I would bring that up. Seems like there are so many larger issues than having the ability to buy a few different brands. Now if you are just looking at the laws based on how stupid they are, I could see that being high on the list. Just my 2 cents.
  2. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Member

Take it from someone who has been involved in changing the beer laws in Alabama - logic and reason have nothing to do with it. You will be involved in a multi-year effort to change these laws.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Member

Interesting.. They want the money, but want to be lazy, but should be pragmatic about it, which would be easier for everyone involved.
  4. Mavajo

Mavajo Member

There may not be too many, but they're ones I'd definitely love to have:

Avery Mephistopheles
    Avery The Beast
    Avery Samael
    Avery Uncle Jacob's (one time)
    DFH World Wide Stout
    DFH 120 Min
    Bruery Anniversary beers (Papier, Coton, Cuir, Fruet, etc.)
    Founders Bolt Cutter
    Bourbon County Stout (when/if Goose Island starts distributing - 14.5% according to BA)

Meph and WWS are two of my favorite beers.
    gothedistance likes this.
  5. bctdi

bctdi Member

Agreed. While ABV at 14% is stupid, that's not what is keeping breweries from setting up shop in GA. It's the "on premise" selling of their beer and the lack of self distribution that's keeping them out of GA imo.
    afksports likes this.
  6. pghlee

pghlee Member

Lets throw out some possible dates and get together at the pub. We can come up with a goal and roles for people who want to be involved. Not saying i know a lot about this but i am interested in being a part of it and i'm tall. Which is awesome!:)
    TheBrodie likes this.
  7. jophish17

jophish17 Member

I'm down.

And I agree that a coupe dozen >14% beers (most of which are mediocre or crap) aren't worth the fight. Direct selling would be more what I'd put some effort in for

ps - I'm also fairly tall. But not quite as tall as Lee or Ben
    bhalter8 likes this.
  8. bctdi

bctdi Member

I could do aug 15 or aug 18 or aug 23.
  9. bhalter8

bhalter8 Member

I am 100% in, just give me some advance notice... Parents can be pro beer too!

I think Lee wants to spend that HMOG money; it's burning a hole in his wallet...
  10. pghlee

pghlee Member

im doing a Boulevard brewing event on wednesday the 15th. we could meet around 3ish in belgian bar then have some beers with the owner of Boulevard?
  11. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

I wouldn't be able to make it until after work (around 6:30, 7 depending on traffic).
    bulletburke and bhalter8 like this.
  12. bctdi

bctdi Member

I can make that
  13. jophish17

jophish17 Member

Ill be out of town, but there in spirit!
  14. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

Any update on the meeting? Was there enough of a turnout at 3? Any chance of it being later?
  15. pghlee

pghlee Member

Yeah this thread is a good example of how hard it is to get these things started
  16. bctdi

bctdi Member

I still plan on coming by the pub tomorrow , at least to get a beer.I suggest piggy backing this kind of organizing onto some other beer event ..... Maybe just prior to the event while people are still reasonably sober. At least that way there will be some turnout.
  17. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

Maybe we could try a weekend? Maybe a Sunday afternoon/evening?
  18. bctdi

bctdi Member

Even though my off days rotate and I may not be able to make it on a weekend , I agree that for turnout purposes , a weekend may be best, or even a week day after work like around 7 or 8.
    coreyfmcdonald likes this.
  19. Hoptrollop

Hoptrollop Member

Lee does BSP have any free Saturdays coming up? You know in the 11-noon time frame. You'd have to work I know but it does seem like a quieter time.
  20. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

I hope this momentum doesn't die. Hopefully we can find some time that we are all free and the BSP isn't that busy if we use that as our venue. I like the idea of Saturday late morning from Hoptrollop. A Sunday afternoon might also work for a lot of us for a lot of us 9-5ers.
  21. compton

compton Member

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time, but just coming back from a week in Portland, I'm fired up to put some effort in this. The scene there is incredible. I'm a freelance person so sometimes, I have a lot of time I could devote. Lee, i'm in the pub a few days a week, I'll try to grab you next time I see you and get an update. Did the first meeting occur?
  22. Hoptrollop

Hoptrollop Member

To my knowledge there has not been a meeting yet.

Would enough people be at an upcoming beer fest to meet up? What about the Decatur Passport Pub Crawl? There will be multiple groups and one could be a "GWCB" where names and contact info could be gotten and ideas thrown out as the beer flows.
  23. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

I've not checked these forums in far too long. Is there a group that I can get involved in here?
  24. benonbeer

benonbeer Member

I'm down near Valdosta and would love to have a part in this. I realize my location isn't the most effective but I have a great desire to start a brewpub down here. Colorado spoiled me when it came to taking a half-gallon of my favorite ale home after dinner at a brewery.
  25. jchoffman

jchoffman Member

I'm interested in getting involved with this, I don't have a whole lot of time but would like to get involved.. not sure what is happening now..
  26. Muhteeyuh

Muhteeyuh Member

Let's do this thing! Interested in helping out the effort. Let me rephrase that, I'm broke like the rest of you, over worked like the rest of you, and I love beer like the rest of you. Oh, and I'm in GA. I'm willing to give of my limited time and money. That should turn a head or two.
  27. Hoptrollop

Hoptrollop Member

It's a new year, anyone still want to talk about this?
  28. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Member

I think a lot of people would like to discuss it. However, I think that trying to get all the interested parties together to attempt to discuss it is likely never going to happen. If we did, it would likely become more talking about the beers we were drinking than the possible issues we want changed. Maybe an online message board specifically for the purpose would help allow everyone to get in on the conversation. The local beer people are too splintered between this forum, the RB forum, beer-talk, facebook, etc...

Just my 2 cents.
  29. nickfl

nickfl Member

As an outsider looking in, I would propose a different list of priorities for you. First of all, far and away the most significant thing you could hope for is unlimited, on site taproom sales for production breweries. This is the single most important factor for the many new breweries that have opened up down here in Florida in the last few years. A new brewery can start to be viable making just a few hundred barrels a year when it has a busy taproom, but without one you really need to be making 2-3k bbl per year to make ends meet. This difference is crucial because it means that a taproom drastically lowers the investment needed to open a viable brewery.

Raising the alcohol cap would be nice, but it isn't going to get you any new breweries and really not that many new beer.

Self distribution is pretty much a pipe dream. This is what the distributors will push back hardest against, and realistically most breweries, even in states where this is allowed, end up using a distributor sooner rather than later because self distribution demands a lot of resources if you a doing much more than selling to the bar across the street from you brewery.

Growlers are nice, but again, they are almost meaningless compared to the impact you would see from breweries being able to sell a pint in their taproom.
    afksports likes this.
  30. chinchill

chinchill Member

Well, NC got these major craft brewers also because of the local recreational opportunities (especially in the case of Oskar blues) and the excellent water supply. In any case, I'm completely on board with helping to change GA law.
  31. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Member

I bet you a beer the middle men try to baby seal club that as hard/if not harder than self distribution. As you mentioned, the costs are going to limit who can attempt that, so naturally the best target is one that lets all the producers sell some that doesn't pass through their grubby fingers.

No, being in SC doesn't color my thinking. /eye roll
  32. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Member

As of right now the GADA, Total Wine, and a few grocery stores are fighting to get in store tasting to pass this year. If this happens growler stores and liquor stores combined will be able to have samples inside the store during operating hours.
    Just a bit of an update on new stuff.
    afksports likes this.
  33. bctdi

bctdi Member

I agree with this. Unlimited on site taproom sales is locked gate that needs to be opened. If I'm running a brewery , I'm not going to consider GA, if I can go to another state that allows this.
  34. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Member

I thought Pennsylvania's laws were bad, but Georgia takes the cake.
  35. TheBrodie

TheBrodie Member

So ... First, I would love to do anything I can to help with this effort.

Second,
    Not sure if it is okay to "advertise" this on this forum or not but I am working on a project that might be able to help in some way. I have been working on building up atlantabeergeek.com mainly for a weekly podcast that I am launching in February, interviewing local beer industry folk, but also in hopes to better unite the local beer community. I am putting final touches on the forum this week and will release it for public sign up on Thursday, the 17th. I will send a tweet out about it @AtlantaBeerGeek when it's available. You can go check out the site now but it isn't much yet. I will get it more in working order this week.

Hope I can help,
    Cheers!
    Brodie
  36. compton

compton Member

i recently heard the GA craft brewers guild was pushing for limited on site sales. I was told 228oz per person, per day is what they're proposing for the new law with relatively good traction. Anyone heard more information on this or know how we can support?
    Zach136 likes this.
  37. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Member

What do you mean "on site sales"? At breweries or at bars? You can't buy beer at the breweries here if that's what you mean.
  38. compton

compton Member

on site sales at the brewery. i live in ga and realize that breweries can't sell on premise, hence the new law proposal. I was told it'd be for off premise consumption only with no change to current on premise regulations.
  39. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Member

Sorry I misread that. I thought you were saying they were going to start limiting what you able to buy not that they were fighting to start allowing. I hope that's true and it passes.
  40. compton

compton Member

No worries, I wrote it half heartedly and could have worded it better.

It most certainly would be a great beginning that could really spark a new wave of business practices and opportunities for large and small breweries alike. I'm hoping to learn more and find out the validity of this proposal so I can figure out how I can help. Anyone else heard anything else about it?
    afksports likes this.