1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GA HB314 - FAQ guide. Get involved!

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by compton, Feb 22, 2013.

1. compton

compton Aficionado (165) Georgia May 20, 2009

rjknyy and Kmccabe33 like this.
  2. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (190) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

Sounds like it is dying on the Vine. Money and lobbying power > emails and phone calls unfortunately.
  3. Roudy

Roudy Savant (295) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

Here's a frustrating response from my local State representative:

I too love beer – big beer, craft beer, and home brew. I try to find locally owned taverns, brewpubs, and eateries whenever and wherever I stop for a bite or refreshment. As you know, the Georgia craft beer industry is BOOMING – under current law. A few years ago, before my time at the legislature, the state increased the percentage of
    ABV to 14%. I believe that the single most important factor in the growth in the industry.

Brewpubs are already a “limited exception” to the three-tier system permitting the manufacture and retail sale for consumption on the premises of malt beverages. Last year the legislature increased the maximum number of barrels from 5,000 to 10,000 per year at a brewpub to permit up to 5,000 of those barrels to be sold to licensed distributors for retail sale. It is working. I can enjoy one of Chase’s brews at Twains then pick up a growler around the corner at Ale Yeah. Some that originally started as brewpubs such as Gordon Biersch are now full-scale breweries with bottled product available at many retail locations.

As a beer lover, I will listen carefully to the argument in favor of HB 314, however, at the moment I know of no compelling reason to support passage. Thank you for contacting me and sharing your love of Georgia’s great and growing craft brewers.

The compelling reason to not support passage is the influence of retailers and distributors who want to keep things the way they are. IT SUCKS!
  4. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

LOOK HOW MUCH I LIKE CRAFT BEER!!! :confused: Maybe he should ask Chase about being able to sell growlers. And how often are Twain's beers available on growler fill at Ale Yeah?

This stinks, since that guy is the head of the sub-committee
  5. Emailed all state reps and posted the change.com petition to FB. Played my part now I'm gonna go have a beer.
  6. This is certainly a big step in the right direction, but the biggest step would be to allow breweries to sell beer for on-premise and off-premise consumption. This is what is going to allow smaller breweries to open. Allowing smaller breweries to open significantly lowers the amount of capital necessary to open a brewery. I admittedly don't know what this entails law-wise, but this is the main difference between Georgia and our surrounding states (NC and FL for the most part).

EDIT: What needs to happen for this to occur?
  7. Stop fooling around with online petitions and play politics for real, red in tooth and claw. Basically, make yourself the bigger threat than your opponents (the methods are your choice). Politicians always acquiesce to the bigger threat, that's how they stay in office.
  8. GABrew

GABrew Savant (490) Georgia May 5, 2013

Response from my rep a few months ago...

HB 314 is still being held in the Regulated Industries Committee.I has not been voted on yet. The bill is still being tweaked but I think it has a chance of passing.
  9. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

A few months ago? So is something happening with the bill now? I am just trying to figure out why you bumped this now and if we should be doing anything at the moment.
  10. GABrew

GABrew Savant (490) Georgia May 5, 2013

Sorry I'm new to the BA site and just saw a couple of threads on this topic and thought I'd post the responses I got from my reps when I emailed them back in May since his thoughts were that it had a chance of passing. Doesn't sound like anything is happening until January based on this response from my state senator:

The legislative session has ended and this bill had been read and placed in the Senate Regulated Industries and Utilities Committee. It would have to be heard in committee and sent to the full Senate to be voted upon next session in January 2014. Senator Jack Murphy is the Chairman of this committee.

Might be a good idea to fill Senator Murphy's email inbox to see if he can push it through his committee when they resume in Jan.
  11. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (190) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

Too bad the bill does nothing for on premise consumption. The crappy on premise consumption law in it's current state is the major reason why people don't visit breweries in GA....oh sure you can take a tour at limited hours with a few 4oz samples, but you will have to fight crowds , wait in line to get your sample, wait in line for the bathroom etc. Most people do not want to subject themselves to that. Yes on premise sales for off premise consumption should be allowed, but that is not going to change where I buy my beer or how often I would visit a brewery. These craft breweries want to setup a "destination brewery" where they can have an "on premise" resaurant with regular hours and people can freely drink their beer on site. If they can't do that in GA, they will do it in a state like NC or CO , and that is what has been actually happening. NC has seen Oskar Blues, Sierria Nevada, and New Belgium come in on huge plots of land and setup beer gardens with free shuttle buses to the brewery etc. GA could have that kind of atmosphere too. I totally support this bill as is, but at some point we need to get to the heart of the matter, and that to me is on premise consumption. The wineries in GA already can do that, and I know that big beer is the biggest gun in the dome against it right now. Maybe the way to push back against big beer is for some of the bar owners to scale back on carrying those brands. I see a lot of debate on wether or not craft beer bars should carry BMC or not, but it's clear to me that the biggest threat to craft beer and small breweries including getting this legislation passed is in fact BMC. If you're a craft beer bar owner and you still carry a lot of BMC products, you are supporting the effort to keep craft beer down because that's what big beer is doing...keeping the competition at bay through legislation. I understand the need to make a profit and that in many markets, BMC products are needed to stay in business, but all I'm saying is please do what you can to help out if you are able. If you haven't been to Denver or Asheville yet on a beer trip, I would highly suggest going and take a look at what GA is missing out on.
  12. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

I understand your point, but there are very few places in the state I would consider to be craft beer bars. Of those, not a single one sells BMC products that I know of. I can not say for certain if they completely avoid AB-Inbev or not since they own so many import brands now, but I do not think that was your point.

The bar owners that do sell BMC are very unlikely to be reading this forum at all with the possible exception of Taco Mac people. Everyone knows they will not even consider possibly stopping sales of BMC products.

Likewise, if other places do sell BMC, then they really will not give a damn about GA become a destination for beer. They are just interested in the number of pints they can sell at their bar so they can make a profit.

While I completely agree that we need to get the law changed for combo on and off-premise sales for breweries as well as brewpubs, if you try and put that on the bar owners to make happen you have lost the battle before it even starts.
  13. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (190) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

I agree with you that most bar owners that are not avoiding bmc already will most likely continue to sell it. My point was really geared towards bar owners and consumers as well. I just wanted to try and make clear that imo the biggest obstacle for craft beer in GA is BMC, and the best way to fight them is with money. Since we don't have the money, the only thing we can do is not give them any of ours.I am not normally anti- bmc except that in this particulr situation, they are actively fighting us on this here in GA.So if most people on this site are already not supporting bmc, great. If you are supporting BMC and you would like to see this legislation passed here in GA, then maybe its time to re-evaluate where you stand or what you want for the future of craft beer in GA.I was not directing that last statement at you gator beer nerd, but more of a general psa to anyone who cares.