1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

GABF Night 1 -- your favorites

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Adamostella, Oct 12, 2012.

1. What's everyone digging so far?

dgugliuzza likes this.
  2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Ice. After constantly pouring KBS my poor arm got tired....

But, seriously. Nothing really wowed me, but I didn't have all that much. Upland's Gilgamesh was tasty, as were some DESTIHL brews. Backcountry MayBock is always nice. Many long lines: Crookes Stave, RRiver, Founders, DFH, etc etc that persuaded me to drink elsewhere.

3. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

I avoided lines today and went exploring. The best stuff I had was still what I was expecting to love, though. KBS, zombie dust, and the destihl sours were my favorites, but I also really enjoyed DC Brau's DIPA, perennial peach berliner, and odd side's beers. Excited for more tomorrow!

4. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

I really liked the food and beer pavilion. I never knew that existed and the sausage one was delicious. The Freetail sours were the surprise of my night...they were really incredible.

I also thought it was pretty damn cool that Sam was leading the pouring at DFH.

jl28r1 likes this.
  5. Freetail sours, DESTIHL sours, Upland Gilgamesh, RR T25, and very tasty was Marble's From the Wood

b0rderman likes this.
  6. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Wow, DESTIHL? I used to live right next to their brew pub and I assure you that it was nothing worth mentioning. Good to hear they must be doing something right these days. They did always have great food though.

7. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Stone suitable for cave aging was beer of the night for me, followed by t25, destihl apricot sour, and the last pour of Black Tuesday.

8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

With so many good big and BBL stouts around, I still stand by B&B's Liquid Brain as the best of 'em.
    Really liked the various DESTIHL reserve sours. Dechutes had a plum sour that was pretty nice, too.
    Golden Road had a Berliner Weiss that my wife declared to be the best she's ever had...and she's had almost all of the well known ones.
    That weird little center area for brewpubs had some gems that people seem to have missed. Trinity and Cambridge were both pouring in there.
    Lots of lines, and other than the Black Tuesday line, I pretty much avoided them completely. The random stuff is just as fun.
    Anyone else think it was less crowded than usual? Other than the big ass lines for the well known places, there was a lot more room to breathe than before.

NVbeer and tacosandbeer like this.
  9. Persica! Crooked Stave looked like a Russian River line from afar, they ran out of beer before New Glarus did.

The Resurgam from Allagash was quite wonderful. American Gueuze and it's no joke.
    Chuckanut Brewery might have been the single stand out brewery for me. Their Helles, Vienna Lager and Pils were amazingly well made. Gigantic has a really nice IPA and Live Oak's Hefe is serious stuff. Stone's Motueka and Centennial dry hopped IPA was very impressive. Russian River's Hoptime Harvest, Row 2 Hill 56 and Toronado 25th are worth the few minutes it takes to grab a sip, some of the best offerings of the night.

Persica though, something special in those hard to open bottles.

ArchEnemyBrew likes this.
  10. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (270) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

I totally agree. It was like everyone was in the same 20 lines. You could either wait a few minutes in the Russian River/DFH/Cigar City/etc lines or just walk up to any other brewery. Seemed like there were many more beer geeks than in years past.

11. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Liquid Brain is soooo nice, but one of my top 5 beers of all times (even SIGNIFICANTLY above Brain) is Royal Oil. She wasn't at Strong Ale fest, and if she were at GABF I'm sure I would be hearing about it. I have missed her so...
    Not attending this year, but although it makes getting tix trickier, this makes it sound like there might actually be something positive to the whole Ticketsheister deal. The less frat boys the better. (No offense to geeks in frats, but you know what I mean...)

12. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Definitely seemed like there was more room to move around this year, which was nice.

I only remember standing in two lines. Russian River and Black Tuesday at the Bruery. Other than that, there was really no wait for Utopias, I passed on the Dogfish and Cigar City lines. No wait for Founders when I was there and just a small crowd around Destihl.

When did Crooked Stave run out? Must have gone quickly. Not surprised, but I really wanted a pour of Persica.

The Brewpub Pavilion had some nice beers and seemed like a popular addition this year. I must have missed the Guild tables. There's usually some nice beers pouring there, but I don't remember coming across that area.

Fest was so big this year I didn't even make it down every row. Guess I need to pick up the pace a little tomorrow.

Overall, it seemed like there was more room, less lines and a pretty easy going crowd last night. Looking forward to Saturday.

What's everyone up to tonight? We're skipping the fest and heading downtown once the wife wraps up her shift at Dry Dock this afternoon. Thinking about heading to Crooked Stave and Our Mutual Friend for their opening tonight. Not sure if I want to tackle the Falling Rock or Freshcraft scene tonight.

13. drumrboy22

Is it just me or is the GABF app still not updated with the beer lists?

14. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

No mine still isn't

15. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

^^^Don't forget Black Shirt opens on Sat. too!

16. DenverBigRed

DenverBigRed Savant (285) Colorado Jul 29, 2006

I am seeing the beer lists now on the app.

17. HoldenDurden

HoldenDurden Savant (335) Illinois Nov 27, 2011

I also noticed that most lines, including the long ones, moved quickly. I can remember years past where a long line meant a long wait with a lot of standing around. Not so this year. Even where there were long lines, the lines constantly moved forward, which at least gave the impression that it was moving quickly.

As for Cigar City, there was a long line, but it moved quickly. And few people seemed to realize that you could walk up to the side (they had a corner booth) where they were pouring Jai Alai and Maduro with no line.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  18. Persica was incredible, worth waiting 20 minutes while they improvized a corkscrew, and made me lament not signing up for the reserve society

drumrboy22 likes this.
  19. b0rderman

b0rderman Aficionado (160) Colorado May 18, 2010

Freetail sours.

20. Gotta uninstall and reinstall the app. I've got the android version.

21. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

I'm at Prost right now. Checking out logistics for getting to Hogshead. Not sure about the rest of the night. Rain is on its way and I'm on foot

22. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

iPhone app still not updated :mad:

23. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

uninstall/delete, install. Uninstall/delete, install. Finally got it on my droid phone and IPod. Still lots of room for improvement...like a wish list mapping option. I had to build my own.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  24. It was Round 2 for me tonight. Persica. That is all. Period. Absolutely delicious.

I did get Utopias. NO line at all. More carbonated than anticipated. Good, sweet, strong! Round 3 tomorrow for all the "long line" stuff.

25. Good to hear chuckanut is getting some love in CO. Easily one of my top 5 WA breweries. You won't find a better lineup of lagers.

26. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Live Oak Hefe-Weizen.

Thurs was my only session.

27. I went Saturday afternoon, so some of the real treats were already gone. Persica was a big let down, they weren't pouring for the members session, had a sign that said 7PM. Oh well.

Really enjoyed the Jester King stuff, and the Short's hoppy beers. Beard of Zeus was pretty tasty

28. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I also only made the Members Session yesterday. Seemed like more beers were already gone than in years past, guess it's time to try the Thursday night session? The guy at Three Floyds told me they were basically out of Zombie Dust at the 1st session, lol. Still had a great time. My favorites were probably: RR's Toronado, KBS, Victory at Sea, Destihl's Gose, and the Fat Head's brews - that's a brewery I would have likely glossed over and really enjoyed basically their entire offering. Heretic was also pretty sweet though that may be because Jamil was so welcoming and willing to discuss his beers in such detail. Cool dude for sure.

It was nice to see/meet a couple of you guys pouring, too!

29. Seconded! Royal Oil is one of the best beers I've ever had. I asked the B&B owner about it, and he said they're looking for a good time to release it. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they released it once their kitchen opens back up, to get people in the door.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  30. Biggest surprise for me: Deschutes was pouring a full vertical of the Black Butte Anniversary ales...outstanding!

Other favorites:
    2008 Stone Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout
    Backcountry Breakfast Stout
    Black Tuesday (duh!)
    some Vietnamese Coffee Cream Stout at the Pro-Am
    + all the usual suspects (RR, Founders, New Glarus, Utopias, etc)

hopfacebrew likes this.
  31. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Beers:2008 Stone BA RIS, BB Plead the 5th, Knuckle Sandwich, Duet, Zombie Dust, KBS, BCBS, Schlafly Pumpkin, Haymarket Indignant, Victory At Sea, Box of Chocolate and 512 Whiskey BA Double Pecan Porter!!

Breweries: Revolution Brewing, Minneapolis Town Hall, Iron Hill, Hoppin Frog, Central Waters, Brew Kettle, Alesmith, Fat Heads (every beer solid!!) as well as FiftyFifty, the Eclipse BA Imperial Stout was awesome!!

32. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Uinta Labyrinth and The Beer Co. Manhattan Project were some of my favorites...both were fantastic and complete surprises! Cisco Grey Lady was good as well.

33. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Anyone have any of the stuff from Taps Fishhouse? I was pretty impressed by by the Oaked Thomas Jefferson, the Remy, and the Balinese Stout. Certainly an accidental and enjoyable found for me!

34. Cambridge had some great stuff. Knee Deep Simtra was pretty awesome. I went to Three Floyds around 6:30 on Friday and they were out of Zombie Dust, Dreadnaught, and Arctic Panzer Wolf. There were smaller breweries than them with longer lines that had beer lasting throughout the night, pretty disappointed in those guys.

35. drumrboy22

I hit up Three Floyds within the first 30 minutes of the doors opening on Saturday afternoon and they were out of all those beers. I noticed they were out Thursday evening and it didn't seem like they ever had them back at any point throughout the weekend.

Cambridge is solid. I tried three of their beers and enjoyed them all. Nice people too.

36. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (390) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

Wow. Good to see Destihl getting some nice things said about them - and a bronze medal. I stop in there often. They have some really good stuff then sometimes you think "what were they thinking with this one".

match1112 likes this.
  37. The one that stood out the most was Tartare from Bear Republic, a great Berliner. Sorry for all the late random comments, first time back on the site since the trip. Hell of a good time!!

38. Royally pissed at Three Floyds for showing up and not bringing enough goods to share. Seriously? Other breweries could not attend so you could. Would loved to have seen HOTD, Cascade, Portsmouth, and others. Thanks 3 Floyds.

Really dug into Sun King, all of their stuff fantastic. Especially Pappy Van Muckle. Also enjoyed KBS & FBS, Bruery, New Belgium's Folie was just solid this year, best sour at GABF. Marble from the Wood and Apricot Cuvee, big winners too. Wish I could have tried every brewery, but only there for one night.