1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

galaxy IIPA recipe critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mountsnow1010, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Hi all -

Can anyone critique this recipe/offer opinions as to how to make it more (potentially) tasty? I am not set on much about it other than making a single-hopped Galaxy IIPA, I am willing to change anything else.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1664181

Cheers, and thanks to anyone willing to lend some advice (I am a bit of a novice)!

2. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

I don't think the high gravity yeast is necessary for this beer. I would just use US-05/001/1056.

3. mountsnow1010

Ok! I wasn't sure. Haven't brewed something quite this alcoholic before. Thanks!

4. mcc1654

I believe US-05/001/1056 are tolerant up to around 11%. Just make sure to pitch enough cells for healthy fermentation.

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  5. I think that will be a fine super hoppy double ipa that will age gracefully. The thing you want to focus on with a big beer like that is proper pitching rate. Consult mrmalty.com for pitching rates and if you don't have the ability to do a starter your gonna need to pitch multiple vials/packs of yeast but mr malty can be a great guide. Good wort aeration prior to pitching will help also maybe a yeast nutrient addition will help also.

6. I might drop one of the late hop additions so you can dry hop it with 2oz instead of one, but that's just personal preference. The recipe as is should be plenty tasty.

7. mountsnow1010

Good to know, I'll be sure to do that! I may be able to do a starter by the time I start this batch, we'll see...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably do that. I thought that I might be overdoing it with the late hop additions, but it didn't occur to me to double the amount for the dry hop. Thanks!

Now to wait for my hops to arrive...

8. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Depending on whether or not your DIPAs on the dry side, I would think about substituting sugar for LME to dry it out a bit.

9. mountsnow1010

I don't want it to be mouth-puckeringly dry, but I was thinking it would be nice to lower the FG a bit. How much would you substitute?

I just realized that as I type this, I am sitting in a yeast lab with all of the necessary equipment to have a starter + much more. Of course, our health and safety people definitely wouldn't like that and I don't want to get kicked out ;)

10. mountsnow1010

Also, I'm not planning on racking for the dry hop, was just going to add that to primary after fermentation stops. Is 7 days too long/will I get off flavors?

here's a modified version of the recipe taking above recommendations into consideration: http://hopville.com/recipe/1664181

11. mcc1654

No, it will be fine. I usually ferment my PA/IPA/IIPA for 10-14 days in primary, cold crash the primary for 2 days, dry hop in primary for a week or so at room temp, and then keg with a second load of dry hops while the keg is chilling and carbonating. Sometimes I leave the second load of dry hops in the keg for the whole time I'm serving it.

12. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Maybe someone with more experience with Extract DIPAs can chime in on this. I do know it is pretty standard to have sugar in DIPAs to dry it out, and since you are using LME and cant control the mash temp, it is more important. I would do at least a pound and a half for an OG this high with extract.

13. mountsnow1010

Playing around with the numbers a bit, I was able to get the FG to 1.019 without messing with the ABV too much. Still seems a bit high but I don't want to drop the ABV any further.

Excellent! I have no kegging equipment so I will just stop after the first dry hop and bottle Sounds pretty tasty to do it again after kegging, though...

14. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

1.019 is a bit high for a dry DIPA. If you want it dry, shoot for 1.010-1.012. 10-15% corn sugar will get you there (Looks like your updated recipe is there); you can cut your crystal in half (and replace with more golden extract) if you'd like to further drop the FG. Your golden light extract does contain carapils (and you'll get a good deal of body from the hops), so no need to really worry too much about it coming out thin.

15. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

Not to hijack, but while I know that extensive use of hops will add to head retention and lacing, this is the first time I've heard someone say that hops can add body to a beer. Can you explain this phenomenon further?

16. mountsnow1010

Playing around with the calculator I can't seem to drop the FG lower than 1.019 by increasing sugar content (even up to 20%) and reducing LME and crystal. Are you saying that in practice 10-15% corn sugar should help get me to <1.012 even if the calculator is giving me a FG of 1.019? Thanks for the help!

edit : I should note that this is while trying to maintain an ABV of 8.3-8.5

17. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Meant head retention and lacing.

mattbk likes this.
  18. Only 2 oz. of hops for dry hoping...weak imo I dry hop with at least 4 to 5 oz. @ 14 days, dry hop the hell out of it!!

19. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Could be the fact that you are using extract as well. Some claim there is a threshold in some cases of the dreaded .20 point finish in big extract beers.

Your calculator should be taking into the account of adding the sugars in there.

20. mountsnow1010

I've heard dry hopping for two weeks can start to give a grassy taste...is that not the case when you do it?

21. mountsnow1010

Yeah...I am thinking of using WLP090 for it's higher attenuation. we'll see, though!

22. ditch

ditch Aficionado (240) Virginia Aug 3, 2009

I personally don't think 090 is good for IPA style beers. You need that WLP001 or 1056 ester. Though it is pretty clean, it really lets you hops "pop" using a yeast like 090 is not going to get you dryer than the dextrin content in your extract. Just pitch well, oxygenate, start low and raise the temp as it finishes. You can also add the sugar towards the end of fermentation (in primary) to keep everybody happy and motivated. Just my 2 cents! Cheers!

23. Almost every calculator I've seen underestimates (gives a higher) FG. Having said that, IIPA is one style that almost necessitates the use of simple sugars in lieu of some malt/extract...Barleywine might be another...IMHO. Hops almost need to be doubled also or you end up with a carmelly, sweet, underattenuated mess. Last recommendation/opinion, use more gypsum and yeast nutrient and a robust yeast.

ditch likes this.
  24. mountsnow1010

Huh. So you're suggesting I need at least a pound of hops for a 5-gallon batch? Where would you add them? This is all good to know because I still have time to get more Galaxy (I only have 8 oz at the moment).

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely take all of this into consideration. I am going to try and isolate Conan tomorrow so depending on how that goes I may end up using that for fun...even though it is a much less clean yeast.

26. mountsnow1010

I think you may have left out a response ;)

If I really need to double the hop content I probably won't be doing a Galaxy only IIPA, I really can't afford to have more shipped to me. I'll need to add some other hop that I can get at a reasonable price locally.

27. Guess I tried to cover too much territory on that rant...what I meant was that IIPAs tend to be heavy on the malt/body (part of the style) and light on the hops (relatively speaking compared to a single IPA). IMHO, when people try to up the gravity and hops they generally think it is linear...and it's not. I'd use a little more sugar (%) and a little more hops (%) in almost any IIPA.

What's Conan? If it's a dreg...I'd wait on that until you could step it up.

28. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I use WLP090 exclusively for IPAs and DIPAs and couldn't be happier with the results. It flocc's a lot better and I don't have issues with the hops not "popping".

29. I'll tell you what I left out...reading your recipe in Hopville...sorry

After reading it (finally), I would suggest Doubling your Bittering addition and making it a FWH (2 oz)...then take all your other additions (except the post-boil...double those) and use the remainder for dry-hopping.

I do think your idea was a good one...to maybe blend with some other hops to stretch the Galaxies

I've used WLP-060, but not the 090...can't help you there other than to say "make a huge starter for a IIPA"

30. FATC1TY

I'm not doubting that, but I remember from when I used to brew extract, that most if not all of them would crash out around .018, or .020.. I think I got a blonde to go around .010 or so, but it started at like 40 points maybe.

But I'll say.. to get the hops to pop and overcome the sweet mess, water profile and getting your yeast going is key.

31. Yes, extract tends to finish higher than mashed 2 row, but I don't know many all-grain brewers that won't use enough specialty grains to put it in the realm of light DME. Problem is, most extract brewers also load up on specialty grains (though steeped). If an all-grain brewer mashes low...say 148, and uses minimal specialty grains, then yes, there probably will be a noticeable difference in FG...provided he doesn't use a low-attenuating yeast.

I hope that is defendable : )

32. FATC1TY

I agree. You win. I win.

33. mountsnow1010

Thanks for all the help everyone. I took everyones recommendations into consideration and this is the final recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1664181
    Took advantage of some late boiling to increase hop utilization. We'll see how well that actually is calculated by hopville. I also picked up another oz of hops and split it between the FWH, 30m and flameout additions. I think 4 oz of galaxy to dry hop should be more than pungent enough, and I can't really afford to buy a bunch more!

The only other addition I am making is adding 1 tsp Fermax 15 minutes to the end of the boil.

Everything is going well at the moment, bringing it to a boil, which takes a while on my electric range. Might ask for a turkey fryer for xmas.

Also, these hops smell so good. If the wort is any indication:

34. mountsnow1010

Oh, and I am going with the WLP090. Made a 2L/200g DME starter 22 hours ago with the anticipation of pitching in 2-3 hours from now (depending on how quickly I can get this to start boiling)!

The starter was looking pretty good last night and was happily fizzing away when I woke up this morning. Fizzing has slowed a bit by now and the yeast has flocced a ton (though I am swirling to try and prevent that).

35. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

Possibility - Do something clean early for the bittering and maximize your galaxy flavor as much as possible late :cool:

EDIT: I see you're already at boil... Honestly hoss, I think you'll have to send me a bottle to verify your results. Otherwise you'll just never really be sure :D

36. mountsnow1010

Too late! I did consider using something cleaner to bitter with but I decided that was really against the spirit of a single-hopped DIPA, especially considering how well Galaxy does double duty as a bittering and aromatic hop. I will be using 10oz total though, with 5 of those being a 7-day dry hop immediately before bottling, so I think I will be fine. The wort was actually pretty pungently bitter and floral, even with enough sugar in there to make it 1.073. I can only imagine what it'll taste like after drying out and being dry hopped.

I'll consider sending a sample if I don't just drink it all straight out of the bottling bucket....!

37. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

That sounds real tasty hoss! If you decide to send me a bottle, I'll send you a sample of my wares, just to balance things out... :cool:

38. not at all, it tasted great but I am sure others have had that happen in there experience

39. mountsnow1010

FWIW - I ended up using 5 oz dry hops and will be bottling later this week (been dry hopping since last Wednesday so either bottling tomorrow, thurs or friday depending on time. I took a small sample after 2 days of dryhopping...so delicious!

slayerhellfire likes this.
  40. nice I love IPAS