1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Game changer: Double Mountain bottles!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by djbreezy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Can you imagine vaporizer in bottles? SO excited.

I emailed Double Mountain just over a week ago and got the following response when asking about bottling:

"We're working on bottling and hope to be in bottles by the end of the summer."

Also saw this today. Grenades it looks like. SWEET.

2. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Excellent news indeed (still not sure I know what a 16.9 ounce "hand grenade" looks like - I ran a search on google, but didn't really find much).

Really wish they'd make another batch of Molten Lava one of these days...

djbreezy likes this.
  3. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

That is great news, can't wait to see their stuff around more. But the real game changer is when Boneyard starts bottling/canning. Shits going to get crazy.

4. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Disciple (70) Oregon Oct 6, 2011

Think Aecht Schlenkerla bottles

5. Dubbercody

Dubbercody Savant (295) Washington Apr 24, 2006

Very nice. Another excellent option in the beer aisle.

djbreezy likes this.
  6. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Agreed. I'll never drink an IPA other than RPM ever again. There's just no point.

guajolote likes this.
  7. I'm not sure what game is being changed. We seem to get DM kegs up here in Seattle on a frequent basis. I've had Vaporizer, IRA, and Hop Lava (each more than once) and found all of them to be just OK. They're indistinguishable from the multitude of PNW pale varieties already out there IMO. Am I missing something? Are there other DM brews that do distinguish them. I'll be more than happy to try them out.

8. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I'd agree that the beers you listed are average for what they are. Personally I'm a big fan of their Kolsch. Not too many local Kolsch's but I can still rattle off three others on a moments notice (Migration, HUB, and Occidental) that DM's can easily stand up to. Devil's Kriek and Rainier Kriek are also exciting if for no other reason than there's not many local examples, but I wouldn't consider them as good as Cascade's cherry sours or Upright's second batch of Four Play. They show potential, but still need some tweaking to really set themselves apart from a competitive beer market.

9. djbreezy

I guess I don't agree. I think Vaporizer is one of the best pale ales in the area and the other brews are top notch. The carbonation, aroma and taste is amazing. For my taste buds, Double Mountain makes amazing brews that are very hop forward.

What if they decided to bottle Killer Green? One of the best fresh hop beers year after year as far as I'm concerned. +1 on the kolsch as well. That shit is great. I guess I'm just a big fan.

What is a game changer for me is that I can drink these at my house. Also, seconded on the Boneyard RPM cans. Super excited for those.

In terms of larger grenades too, consider the new Red Hook bottles:

[​IMG]

10. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Does Double Mountain do growlers currently? If so is Black Irish an option? I'm looking to land this one for some family in the St. Louis area. If this is possible let me know. Thanks.

11. John_M

:) Don't mean to give you a hard time, but you could always try taking a look at the website before asking a question like this.

http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/taproom.html#beertogo

Based on what I see here, it would appear the answer is yes. As for Black Irish, I would assume it would depend on availablability. As long as it's on tap, I would once again assume the answer is yes.

12. Domeshot14

What's so wrong with asking a question on a forum? The first response is always someone going well you should have looked here... At least I didn't start a whole new thread, can you imagine the shit I would have caught then :eek:. Thanks for the info though even though it came in a "backwards compliment" fashion ;).

13. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I will give you credit and thank you for having the sensibility for not starting a new thread.

14. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Hey, while I don't think Double Mountain is super amazing, I'm always excited to have a wider range of options in bottles so I'm happy they'll be bottling. They do some nice sours too...Maybe down the road we'll get some special releases of Devil's/Rainier Kriek!

beertunes likes this.
  15. John_M

You can, of course, do whatever you want to do. However, in my experience, when asking for help or information, most folks at least make a cursory effort to obtain the information themselves before asking for assistance. This site actually has a lot of resources and tools that can help you obtain information without too much effort. In this case, I think taking a look at a brewery's website before asking a question like this falls under the category of makiing a "cursory effort." Another example would be someone who asks for information about a particular beer or city, when the exact same question/post is located farther down the forum page.

Again, you can do whatever you want, but my guess is that if every time you post a question that you could easily answer yourself with minimal effort, after a while no one is going to bother to respond to your post/question, even if someday you have a question that's actually complicated and can't easily be answered.

16. Domeshot14

I'll try and keep my questions as complicated as what does a 1/2 liter bottle look like from now on.

17. John_M

Good idea. That should do nicely.

18. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I keep trying to explain the story of the "boy who cried wolf" to my 5-year-old daughter whenever she screams or cries about something that really isn't scream/cry-worthy... Why did I never think instead of telling her the parable of the forum poster who didn't first practice due diligence in independent information reconnaissance? ;)

19. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Agreed - i haven't really cared for anything i've tried from Double Mountain. Dig the logo though...

20. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

The Ranier Kriek I had recently was one of the best kriekbeers I've had. Much preferred it to the Devil's Kriek. $41 / growler at the brewery is a steal.

Their Killer Red at the fresh hop fest last year stole the show.

Double Mountain is one of the state's top 10 breweries without a doubt; I am excited to see what they decide to bottle. Not to mention their pizza is the best in Oregon.

21. John_M

LOL!!! Well maybe you should try it. You never know...

On the other hand, your daughter IS only 5, so I think at some point she might figure this out on her own (or maybe even with Daddy's continued help). On the other hand...

As for their beers, I wasn't all that wildly impressed with the Killer Red (however, plenty of others were, so clearly it's just a matter of individual taste). Still, I've always been a big fan of the killer green, and thought it (along with Vernon the Rabbit Slayer) was one of the two best fresh hop IPA's I sampled at the Hood River hopfest this past year. It would be nice if DM bottled it and the Molten Lava, but I really don't hold out much hope of that happening.

22. djbreezy

All this Double Mountain discussion reminds me of this... http://bit.ly/IBIhEK

Also, STILL a game changer in my eyes. :)

23. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Unless something changes, I believe the initial line up will be Kolsch, Vaporizer, and IRA.