1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Garbage? Or...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hamilt0n, Apr 2, 2012.

?

Is it good?

1. Throw it out.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mmmm.... Mystery beer...

100.0%
  1. hamilt0n

hamilt0n Aspirant (25) Apr 2, 2012

Homebrewers:

I let my buddy brew a batch of a dark, hoppy ale and store it at my house. A week in, he came by and transferred it to a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. He then stored it in basement closet (complete with sanitized bubbler). That was in mid-November.

Is there any chance in hell of that beer still being drinkable, were I to bottle it?
  2. Assuming your buddy is a half decent brewer, why wouldn't it be drinkable?
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I wouldn't expect it to have much of its hop flavor/aroma left, but why not taste it and then decide whether or not to bottle?
  4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

absolutely. maybe it is not the fresh beer it was a month or two ago, but 4 months in the secondary ain't nothing. shit, i've had brews go a year because i am lazy and forgetful. and they are fine. ok, stale. but its just a different beer. i'm not proud.

no way you should dump 5 gallons here.
    also, not sure this is a survey question. just advice really.
    Cheers.
  5. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (350) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

Sounds like it's going to be a dark, not-so-hoppy ale, is all.
  6. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

DRINK IT!!! I would taste a sample and if dry hop it again for a couple days if it's not what you want.
  7. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I would take a gravity reading and taste the sample. Unless it is somehow oxiginated the beer should be fine. I resently found 4 bottles of an IPA that was over a year old. They were not top shelf,however they still drank well.