1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gauging fair trades

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by wjgeese, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Waiting for my 30 day blackout period to expire before I can start trading here. Question, is there any resource here on BA to get a good idea of fair trades. For example I have beer X and I want beer Y, how do I know how much (trade value) mine is worth? Don't want to start off on the wrong foot here. And, don't want to short-change myself either!
    Thanks
  2. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Read. And read some more. Lurk in the trading forum. Time and observation are your friends - cannot stress this enough. If all else fails, ask a vet or two for advice.

Side note - don't be too concerned about what X or Y beer is worth (within reason). If you and the distant end are happy with a trade proposal, that's all that matters.
    tut2528, kpanter, DmanGTR and 18 others like this.
  3. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

^^^^ This.
  4. People often get flamed for creating threads titled "what can beer x land?" It's perceived that you are just trying to win trades and not land beers you want or will drink.
    davey101 and FTowne like this.
  5. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Spot. On! Also, don't jump in balls to the wall and start piling up trades. People get overwhelmed quickly. Start off small with locals for locals to build a solid trade repuatation and work your way up to the limited stuff. By that time you should have a good idea of how beers trade and the values we place on beers. Just because someone puts up an ISO X: FT Y does not mean it got done, meaning that X may not equal Y. The most important bit: Its a hobby, not a game.
    ales4baldo likes this.
  6. It's sooooo easy. When both people are happy! :)
  7. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

The way I see it, there are several categories. Numbering is not necessarily relevant.
    1. Year-round shelf beers. People are not usually too interested in trading these.
    2. Seasonal shelf beers. Some people get excited (Hopslam?)
    3. Single release/one-offs with distribution.
    4. Brewery only releases.
    5. Vintage one-offs with much respect.

Maybe there are more, and finer shadings, but in my experience as a trader and lurker, if you try to stay within one level, no one will think you're being unreasonable (there are always questions of reputation, perceived quality, bottle count, etc. but these are inevitable). I will also echo what others have said: keep track of the trading forum, see what the community values certain beers at, and don't try to maximize profit, just trade beer that the other guy wants for beer that you want.
  8. Trade beer you have for beer you would like. Not all trades are that simple finding value is just what makes you happy. I traded a Bramble as part of a larger trade for a Kern Citra. I was happy as I am a hophead that loves that beer.
    abecall98, gpawned and davey101 like this.
  9. Post what you have/want $4$ and ignore all the BA drama , come thru on your end, and hopefully send some cool extras, makes some friends and future trading partners. It's that simple. Really, it is!
    jrnyc likes this.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Whatever you do when you trade make sure to ask for extra pictures of Natalie Portman's ass. Then regardless of the beers swapped you win!

Also remember at all times it is just beer, send a box you would be happy to get and good things will happen. Getting hung up on values will just inevitably lead to disappointments.
  11. It could be the opposite, when both people think they gave away too much.
  12. Get advice from someone you know who already trades. If you don't know anyone, I'm positive a large majority of active traders on this site would be more than willing to offer some assistance.

Just don't get head over heels too quickly when first starting. Take it slow, learn the ropes, and have fun doing so.
  13. Then the trade shouldn't happen if you feel that way.
    DaveHack likes this.
  14. Try to have specific beers you want to try in mind when posting trade offers. If you want something and really can't find any other instances of it being traded, ask in this forum, or make an ISO post with an offer you think is reasonable, and invite feedback as to whether you're on track or not. Also, www.seekabrew.com is your friend.
  15. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (540) Florida Aug 11, 2012

16. How often is seekabrew updated? is it usually up to date?
  17. I have felt that I 'gave away too much' already....but if it is a regular trade partner, then all the rules go out the window and I LOVE to kill them, but if it isn't...so be it, live and learn. By 'beer economics' I've given up the farm so to speak several times, but sometimes you REALLY want a certain beer and it becomes a mission....As you may have guessed I have serious beer OCD. ;)
  18. It's pretty reliable, yeah.
  19. Didnt I tell you, "poop comes out of that butt," before.
  20. Rwliable but if you see something not up to date just notify them they will fix it.
  21. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Judging by new breweries we've gotten in Ohio it's been updated at least since October but not in the last month.
    gpawned likes this.
  22. ok, thanks folks. Sooooo, hypothetically, if I were to say, offer 3 Chocolate Rains for 3 CBS, would I be out of line? Just sayin'
  23. No I would think that would get done.
  24. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

If you offered up Chocolate Rain from you in exchange for CBS, I'd expect your inbox to fill up pretty quickly.
    cavedave and lucas1801 like this.
  25. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think you'd probably be offering too much; although I'm also not sure how many people are sitting on 3 CBS.
  26. You would also be giving up something to the tune of almost 2x $4$ of brewery only releases for a widely distributed 18 month old coffee stout, which would make you incredibly generous!
    libbey and cavedave like this.
  27. True but as I said it would get done if someone kept 3 CBS which someone has. I should have made it more clear why I thought it would get done.
  28. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Put your location info so others can read it quickly and know what distro you get. Put as much info about what you have and what you like on your profile page. Start small, locals for locals is not only a great way to meet partners, it results in some of the best trades you will do. Welcome!
  29. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Lurk the trade forums for six months, and in that time go to brewery releases to gather ammo, that way you aren't putting up Terrapin Wake n Bake for Kate the Great. Browse the trade forums everyday, like researching the stock market. I usually read the trade forums while I have my morning BM. 'Scuse me I have to do some paperwork real quick. There we go. Also make sure not to get anything on your smartphone while trying to accomplish this...
    jl28r1 likes this.
  30. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Use this 30 days to save every penny you can because trading is a very expensive hobby. It is also a lot of fun so that balances out.

Start small, don't have too many trades going on at one time, pack with common sense and most of all don't take this too seriously.
    mmikey8 likes this.
  31. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (540) Florida Aug 11, 2012

There is a little TOO MUCH information here
    JulianB likes this.
  32. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Find a brew you want to drink and post it, use your up dated beer list, and when you find a partner who wants something you have you find a balance. Simple. It's as easy as ie: ISO Pliny FT List.
  33. the main reason I asked is that I am sending a box to a buddy in OH and wanted to make sure I didn't mistakenly send him beers he can get off the shelf locally... Any breweries added in the last month that aren't mentioned on seekabrew?
  34. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Off the top of my head: Kona, Revolution, Uinta, Dominion, and starting next month New Albanian
  35. Thank you. Very helpful. I guess I can take that Uinta Hop Notch out of the box
  36. thanks, guys (and gals)
  37. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Newbie question, if I post an in-person ISO/FT that I think is fair $4$, and don't get any takers. How long until I should try again? Don't want to cause any waves, but think someone can fill my want ..
  38. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I usually wait a week if I get no responses before I re-post a trade. I will usually modify it a little as well because I figure there was a reason I didn't get any bites the first go round.
  39. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

I would need pics first ;)

A few days, also try a different time of day.
    Coirm likes this.