1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gauging fair trades

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by wjgeese, Jan 23, 2013.

1. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Just keep re-posting it as soon as it falls off the first page. There are a couple guys that do this and I think it's just peachy :mad:

Photekut and Levitation like this.
  2. there is literally no absolute way to gauge a fair trade. compare, for example, an iso for peche 'n' brett to a ft for peche 'n' brett by the same guy 2 days apart. forget establishing a standard across multiple people, you can't even get something consistent by one person. and that's not to blast either offer, but i'm saying there's too much psychology at work (tendency to overvalue what you have vs. what you want) to get a firm handle on the problem.

my suggestion? don't trade.

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Hahahaha love it! You either have an iron clad memory or an amazing amount of free time to catch these things.....or both!
    my suggestion? don't trade.

4. That's some pretty amazing balls...

5. In person trades can be tough, because both parties have access to the same stuff. You basically both need to be pretty active traders to make it work.

6. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

...and unabashed greed.

7. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

This is true but oddly the inverse "what does it take to land" gets a ton of helpful responses.

:cool:

drperry11 likes this.
  8. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

good advice. also, give more than you receive . . . you'll find that in the long run and on the whole that it all comes back around for the better.

9. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (315) New York Feb 15, 2008

when you set up a trade - send a box you would be happy getting and forget about winning or losing - trading is fun, so enjoy - my suggestion? do trade, but remember it's only beer.

10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

my advice: start with off the shelf locals that you know you can always get, and trade with experienced traders who will show you the ropes. build trust, develop a regular trading relationship, and if you really want to go whale hunting, ask them for advice.

11. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aficionado (175) Virginia Aug 11, 2007

Don't turn iso/ft threads you start into auctions. If you offer something and get what you ask, quickly, don't hedge your bets thinking a better offer is coming. Make an ISO/ft you will do if met. If you don't have any trades here offer to ship first, and be prompt with communication

Photekut likes this.