1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gear Patrol links to BA about Budweiser Black Crown

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LostTraveler, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Gear Patrol website put out an article about Budweiser Black Crown coming out and attempts to give it some credibility with "The result is what many advanced tasters on Beer Advocate say is a fruitier, sweeter lager with more body, color and a noticeable hop character compared to good ole’ Bud heavy." Which then links to BA's reviews of it having 68... Have to love it. Makes me wonder if they were just doing it for advertising money and went through the motions...

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/01/25/budweiser-black-crown/

2. Oddly, he links directly to aasher's had.

3. With the links to the Black Crown website and the giant picture of the bottles on the top this screams paid advertisement.

DelMontiac likes this.
  4. mynie

mynie Advocate (695) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

Awesome! I'm gonna add the title "Advanced Taster" to my business card.

5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Given that regular Bud carries a 56 score, a rating of 68 sounds like a ringing endorsement.

beertunes likes this.
  6. I don't get how a beer like that scores a 68. Is just getting liquid into a bottle worth like 50 points? I don't understand.

7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I think it's more like it's at least a 60 if you can finish drinking it.

ShogoKawada and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Yes. Im not sure the exact formula they are using anymore, but Im pretty sure it is still a 50-100 system, like used for wine.

9. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Bud Lite Chelada is a 46 though.

10. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

So 50 isnt absolute bottom anymore. I tried to find something below 50, but couldnt. :) It never occurred to me to check Chelada.

So, getting liquid into a bottle is worth 50 and Bud Light Chelada still managed to lose another 4 points.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Look ma, I got a D- instead of an F!

12. Aeviaanah writes in his review:

“T- Tastes like Bud platinum with a bit more malt back and is pretty sweet. Probably the best Budweiser product out there. Definitely drinkable.”

I suppose if you were an AB employee and the terms of your employment is that you have to drink AB beers, then Black Crown is the ‘best’ beer to drink!?!

Cheers!

13. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Makes me wonder how hard they even tried on this thing. Links to a page that clearly says it has a score of 68, listed as poor. On top of that, the bottles in the giant picture appear strange.... because I'm pretty sure the droplets were just photoshopped on there. And I KNOW the image was, since the drops and ice are in the exact same spot on both bottles. Come on, step up your game!

14. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I understand people don't find AAL's to be the highest state of beer, in fact it may very well be the worst style of beer. But in regards to how the beer is as it relates to AAL's one would imagine it's gotta be somewhat better.

15. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Budweiser Select 55 is sitting at 45 right now.

16. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

If Budweiser actually wanted to create a beer favorable towards craft beer enthusiasts... they should stick away from lagers.... far far away

17. It's only beer geeks (whether out of paranoia or over-inflated egos) who think Anheuser-Busch is aiming Budweiser Black Crown at "craft beer enthusiasts". Just this one quote from the official AB Press Release reveals they're after a much broader potential market (i.e., all the market share the once mighty Budweiser flagship lager has lost over the past quarter century):

That sure doesn't sound like their aiming at the tiny 6% craft market share, or that it's an attempt at "faux craft" beer. :D

Uh, they tried that. ;) (Recently discontinued, IIRC).

18. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

Yes i remember when this came out a few years ago, back then i just drank beer to get drunk and still thought i wasted my money after purchasing it. Budweiser can try all they want to create more of a "craft" style beer but it seems to me that their such a huge and large grossing company that they do not want to spend the time, money, and effort in creating a beer they are unfamiliar with

Pecan likes this.
  19. Pecan

I don't know, I'd guess they are actually trying to chip away at the craft market share, just not the BA crowd portion of it. They'd be foolish to ignore one of the only sections of the industry in growth and are likely aiming at the casuals that are on the fence instead of the already-entrenched BA folks. Blur the lines then capture the low hanging fruit. I mean, look at Goose Island... we started out loving them. Then they get bought by AB and suddenly we're divided on how we feel about GI. The lines between craft and big beer are suddenly blurrier and some of us are thinking "Well, maybe big beer companies CAN do good beer." Right now it's an exception, but with continued efforts in this strategic direction it may start to seem more normal. And I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it.

20. Agree. Not a lager fan either.

21. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

This beer is Budweiser with some caramel hops and is horrible, id rather eat the stickers off the bottle than drink this beer again.

22. I don't think AB is ignoring the craft market segment - Goose Island, CBA, Coastal, Shock Top are examples of their moves into that area.

But other segments of the beer market are also growing - "above premium" imported adjunct lagers like Labatt, Corona and red-hot Modelo Especial, (as JackH notes above) adjunct brewer Yuengling with their amber flagship Traditional Lager that is something like 80% of their production, and other segments seen by the public as more "upscale" - cider, the liquor-branded FMB's, etc. And AB was very successful with Bud Light Platinum (which captured something like 1% of the market) which, to me, is their true model for Black Crown.

beertunes and Pecan like this.
  23. I'm sure that this is just another try at selling a beer that costs the same as Budwiser to brew but can be sold for $ 1.00 a 6 pack more.

24. Pecan

Couldn't agree more, actually. :)

Even though other segments are growing, there aren't that many that are growing. As you pointed out, they aren't ignoring craft. I also think you're pointing out that they aren't necessarily directly targeting craft with full force, which I also agree with. I think more than anything, they're dabbling in craft and taking strategic moves in varying sizes to shave the edges of the movement and influence future growth in the direction that they would like it to go. It's an expensive and risky game to play for such a small share of the actual alcohol market, so I doubt we will see a legitimate attempt at controlling craft outside of slowly trying to bankroll established brands. The less they run them into the ground, the more successful they will be. I think they started to figure that out with GI.

I am conflicted with GI. From a business standpoint, I think it is an absolutely brilliant move for both short and long term viability of AB in the industry. From a BA standpoint, I'm sad to see control lost to a giant with a historically low admiration for innovation in the industry.

25. Below is a post in a past thread which contains some discussion on what market I think AB is pursuing wrt Black Crown:

“There is no doubt in my mind that Anheuser-Busch could make world class beers of any beer style. They have extremely knowledgeable brewers and all of the necessary brewing resources. Heretofore Anheuser-Busch has decided to principally (by a large margin) to brew for mainstream beer drinkers (primarily American Adjunct Lagers). Anheuser-Busch does make some half decent craft beers as part of the Michelob series of beer. I think that Michelob DunkelWeiss is a pretty tasty beer for example.

So, why has Anheuser-Busch for the most part not brewed what could be considered to be craft beers? Why don’t they make an APA like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or an IPA like Firestone Walker Union Jack? I believe they haven’t gone into those markets since they were too small for them. Anheuser-Busch (and especially under AB-InBev) is basically interested in producing high volume beers. Producing small batches is not part of their business plan (to date).

So, why the interest in making Budweiser Black Crown? I am of the opinion that Anheuser-Busch has looked at the expanding sales of Yuengling Lager and Shiner Bock and they thought:

· There is a ‘sizeable’ market for American Adjunct Lagers and that market is expanding.
    · Shiner Bock accounts for 75% of Spoetzl Brewery sales. So, Shiner Bock is about 300,000 barrels annually (and growing)
    · Traditional Lager is the largest beer that Yuengling brews. Assuming 75% this represents 1,875,000 barrels annually (and growing)

A combined existing market of a little over 2 million barrels at first blush may not seem large for a company like Anheuser-Busch but consider two facts: Yuengling is presently only distributed in 14 states. Shiner Bock has a large(er) geographic market (40+ states) but it has limited penetration in many of those states. For example, Shiner is theoretically available in the State of Pennsylvania but in the Philadelphia area beer market (which is a BIG beer market) Shiner is not sold. So, what is the nationwide market for a properly distributed beer such as an American Amber Adjunct Lager? Is it double or triple the existing market of 2 million barrels? I would think that Anheuser-Busch (and MillerCoors) would be very excited to enter a 4-6 million barrel market especially considering their decreasing sales over the past few years.

Crusader asks: “but to think that the current dynamic of shopping around will become replaced by loyalty to one or two brands (which I think is the logical conclusion of this argument) made by one brewer seems far fetched at this point.” That is a reasonable argument for a ‘true’ craft beer like a very hoppy IPA; amongst ‘true’ craft beer drinkers there seems to be a trend to try the next ‘new thing’. Well I can report that the drinkers of Yuengling Traditional Lager are very loyal drinkers. It is extremely common to be in a bar and hear somebody ask the bartender: “Give me a lager”. The bartender hands the patron a Yuengling Lager. When the patron is done his Yuengling Lager he simply states: “Give me another” or the original refrain of “Give me a lager”. The typical beer drinkers of Yuengling Lager and their loyalty to a particular beer brands is exactly the kind of beer drinker that Anheuser-Busch wants!

Now, I don’t think that Anheuser-Busch will make serious inroads in Yuengling states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. but what about states like California and other non-Yuengling States? Even Ohio is a recent state for Yuengling since they just started distributing there a year or so ago. Could Anheuser-Busch make inroads in Ohio? I suspect so.

Never underestimate the marketing and distribution process of Anheuser-Busch.”

Cheers!