1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gelatin and dry hop sequence

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jcojr72, Dec 18, 2012.

1. So I have a beer that I need to be ready for Christmas day. This is a pale ale that for some reason is stubbornly cloudy. I am not against cloudy beer, in fact I probably prefer it, ie I never clarify my beers, but this beer has an off taste right now and I think it might have something to do with all these yeast and proteins in suspension. So here is my plan.
    Chill the carboy tonight
    Add gelatin tomorrow once the beer has chilled
    Leave in the fridge until Thursday night
    Remove from fridgwthe and Dry hop Thursday night
    Keg and carb sunday night
    Drink Tuesday night

Does this sound right? I am mainly uncertain about the time on needed on gelatin?

Thanks.
  2. IMHO the dryhops for that short a time are a waste. I would chill Monday night, keg & force carb by shaking on Tuesday.
  3. Gelatin is a one shot treatment which should be done as late as possible.
  4. I would suggest racking the beer to another vessel after it clears before doing anything else to it. Five days of dry hopping is expecting a lot, but I don't think it will be a wasted effort. Given the time constraints, I think your proposed schedule is ok.

FWIW, my only concern is that the off flavors may not be due to suspended yeast and proteins.
  5. I plan on doing it before the dry hop ti avoid stripping out the added hop resins.
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  6. Same goes for dry hops.

What I would do is fine with gelatin for a few days, then transfer to a keg with the dry hops. The beer should drop bright by then, so you'll be dry-hopping bright beer, as you should be. From there, you could let the beer warm up to room temps for a couple days -- this will greatly increase how fast the dry hops work. You could also try force-carbing the beer while this is happening but the PSI required at room-temp will be very high. Given your time frame this should be possible.
  7. True, but irrelevant. It will carb just as quickly at room temperature as it will at near freezing, as long as the pressure is correct. And you won't use any extra CO2 this way, as many seem to believe (I don't mean you, necessarily).
  8. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

I think one week is the typical amount of time for a gelatin treatment. Not sure how much impact it would have in a 1-2 day application, but I would guess it would be insignificant.

It's hard to suggest how best to deal with your off flavors without knowing more about them, but the cloudiness and the fact that you seem to be in a bit of a rush leads me to ask: is it possible that the beer is still a little green? If that's the case, you would likely be better off keeping it at ~62F for as long as possible before cold crashing. It could be that the yeast is still in suspension because it still has work to do.
  9. I've had gelatin clear a beer in just a couple days. The beer was already pretty clear, but still, it was fast. I'd say if the OP is able to cold crash his beer for even a couple days with gelatin, it will be a big improvement yeastiness-wise over what he'd get if he skipped that step.
  10. The first time I used gelatin, the effect after only two days was staggering. The beer was cold, which may have been significant.
    kjyost likes this.
  11. While I have not brewed this exact recipe before, it was a pale ale with OG of 1.052 and I pitched a pack of US-05 (which took off immediately). I have brewed plenty of similar beers and I have even turned a similar beer around, grain to glass in 12 days. This beer has been in the primary for 11 days now, has been near terminal gravity for about 8 days, and is noticeably more cloudy than any other similar beer I have ever brewed at this point. I am not sure what I did differently here. I was also wondering if the yeast was not finished cleaning up, so I put in in my fermentation chamber at 68 for the last 2 days to help (it was fermented in the low 60's). I am hoping the gelatin will clean this up. I will report back. Thanks for all the responses.
  12. I think you're in pretty good shape for Christmas, provided the 'off taste' is not problematic.
  13. I would get the beer really cold, fine it with gelatin, then keg-hop it and carbonate in a few days.
  14. Well, the gelatin work f'in awesome. 1 day, clear beer. Bad news is did not quite cure this odd taste. I dry hopped the crap out of it, 4.5 oz, so hopefully it will help disguise it.

Now, what the hell did I do wrong. I have probably made 30 beers with US-05, but the only thing I can think that I did differently here, was maybe fermented the beer a little cool. I brewed on a Sunday, pitched the yeast by about 5, and left the carboy against an outside wall in my house. The house was about 68 at this point, and stayed that way until about 11. Then the heat was turned down to 60, and the house was not heated up again until the next night. The temperatures followed this pattern for about a week (through fermentation). The beer still fermented fast, even though the temperature stril on the carboy sometimes read 58ish. I know this is a little cool, but I thought as long as it was fermenting this would only make for a cleaner fermentation. Am I wrong?

Perhaps it has nothing to do with yeast, but this was the only thing I thought was unique from other beers I have brewed.

Any ideas?
  15. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I would avoid the shaking, myself.

I'd suggest dry hopping in the keg, WHILE you carb it. Ramp it up to 20psi for 2 days, and drop to serving temp.
  16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

What is the "odd taste"? I've found US05 actually likes slightly warmer temps.. Did you allow it to warm up to finish a diacetyl rest? Is the flavor somewhat of a stone fruit/ peachy flavor? I've found that taste when I ferment it too cool.
  17. The taste just isn't bright. The flavors are muted and musty. Hard to describe.

I did warm it to 68 for 3 days thinking that the yeast needed to cleanup. This does not taste like diacetyl.

Maybe an infection?? Who knows.
  18. ditch

ditch Aficionado (240) Virginia Aug 3, 2009

I had serious chill haze problems with a pale ale I made recently. I didn't realize it until I dry hopped and then cold crashed. After the beer was cold I boiled 2/3 cup water, let it cool to 170, added 1 tsp of gelatin. Stirred until dissolved. Sanitized a funnel poured the gelatin mixture into the cold secondary. Within 24 hours the beer had cleared almost completely. I kegged it, leaving about an inch of cloudy "beer" in the bottom of the fermenter. Within the next 24 hours, shook the keg with 30psi on the regulator for about 5 min. Bled off the pressure slowly from the keg. Hooked it up to the beer line. After 24 hours I poured one cloudy pint. It has been clear since then. The hop aroma is very subdued compaired to what it normally would be. But still tastes and smells good.