1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

German Beer available in America

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by krrose34, Apr 20, 2012.

1. krrose34

krrose34 Aspirant (25) Apr 20, 2012

I lived in Germany while working for the US Army. I love German Beer.

My wife and I bought St. Pauli Girl because it was "on sale." We both had the same response - "This is Not German Beer!" I did some research and found that St. Pauli is Anheuser Bush brewed in Germany but not sold there. I can only assume, therrefore, that Germans have plenty of good choices and St. Pauli is not one of them. This beer is really some American BS marketed as German beer. What an illusion! It turns out the "models" are not even German girls. What a Farce!

I feel like I was bent over and used by Anheuser-Bush. Fool me once...

Let me know what you "experts" think of this swill.

2. Haven't had one in a while but where I am there's tons of German beers around. I actually just bought another bottle of Schkenkerla dopplebock.

3. the Weihenstephaner, Paulaner and Ayinger beers are pretty easy to come by at any local BevMo

Blueribbon666 and FosterJM like this.
  4. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

While there is a lot of room for improvement, we do have a fair amount of good German beer available in the US. Weihenstephan, Hacker-Pschoor, Schneider, and Ayinger should all be pretty easy to find and all make excellent beer.

Blueribbon666 and draheim like this.
  5. The St. Pauli Girl brand was created back in the 1960's and was first imported to the US by a big drug and spirits company called McKesson & Robbins Inc (later just McKesson) - it had nothing to do with Anheuser-Busch at the time.

That connection only occurred within the last decade or so, after InBev bought both Beck's (where St. Pauli Girl is brewed) and then Anheuser Busch. Until recently the brand was still imported by a non-A-B-InBev company- Crown Imports (best known for Corona).

LiquidTable likes this.
  6. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Keep in mind that none of the bottled beers available in the US are as good as the stuff on tap in Germany. I found that out last week while in Germany for vacation.

Now I'm sad, because I want to go back. :(

7. for a hefe i like Ayinger for a pils Radeberger

8. MCorrea

MCorrea Aficionado (150) California Aug 23, 2010

Aventinus remains one of the best taste/cost values in the beer world, in my opinion.

mdillon86 and Blueribbon666 like this.
  9. mikeg67

mikeg67 Savant (400) New Jersey Nov 12, 2010

If you like smoked beers you can find different Schlenkerlas.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  10. That's true about most beers no matter where they are brewed.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  11. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (470) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

Three of the very 'lightest' beers that I've ever had - when it comes to flavor - are....*
    Fosters
    St. Pauli Girl
    Dos XX

* non light beer by name

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  12. jtmartino

Yes, but the most significant difference I've had has been with German beers. Oh, and also Guinness.

herrburgess likes this.
  13. Flensburger Pilsner
    Konig Ludwig
    Weltenburger Kloster Pils

14. randal

randal Savant (315) Texas Apr 21, 2004

I've found that hefeweizens tend to hold up well but helles not so much. As a matter of fact there is quite a bit of bad beer even in Germany however Andechs and Augustiner helles at the source is a thing of beauty.

Although upon recovering from jet lag getting back from Germany the first thing I did was go out and buy some hoppy American IPA!

indy169 likes this.
  15. If you can get them from a sealed case Einbecker has a really good UrBock, Maibock and Schwartzbier.

Kostritzer and Monchshof also make really excellent Schwartzbiers- the former is more affordable while the latter is more complex and probably my fave of the style.

In general I buy the most from H-P and Weihenstephaner- they have top notch all-around selections and the price is right. Plus they tend to move, so you can get fresher product. Ayinger has the best Dunkel and Doppelbock, though, and worth the extra bucks.

16. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

and again.... Weihenstephaner...also try Hofbrau munchen if available..... I am currently on a munich helles lager kick...

17. jtmartino

Andechs was my favorite beer in Germany. Simply divine.

18. Fosters - owned by SABMiller - 100% brewed in the US in Ohio and Texas.
    St Pauli Girl - owned by ABInbev - brewed at Becks in Bremen, Germany - skunked thanks to green glass.
    Dos Equis - owned by Heineken - green bottle (lager) brewed near Guadalajara, MX strictly for export (US) - skunked also.

Marketing-marketing-marketing

19. npaauwe

npaauwe Zealot (75) Michigan Jan 23, 2012

St. Pauli girl is sold in Germany, its from the Hamburg region.

Franziskaner is the best wefezeinen if you ask me. Maybe Paulaner is better.

The greatest German Lager is you ask me is Augistner. I haven't been able to find their "Helles" here but other brews of theres are available. There Helles is an absolute staple of German/Bavarian Partys.

Weihenstephan, as mentioned, is fantastic. My ex (German) girlfriend is studying at the Weihenstephan University.

Ayingers Doppelbock is heaven. Its highly drank during lent at their Dark Beer Fests and is absolutely amazing.

20. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

In general, most of the German beer that makes it over here is "good." The trick is that some beers are fresher than others and many items are bottled in green glass, which offers little protection against light.

If you're buying German beers, try and hunt for a dating system on the bottle (it's really simple on the Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr bottles, but more complex on others) look for dust on the bottles. Don't be afraid to do a little research on here or elsewhere to find out what kind of distribution they might have. Sometimes just asking the shop owner can fill in some gaps.

If something is in green glass - often times there might be a way to buy it in a sealed pack that still makes it a safe buy. For instance, both Spaten and Lowenbrau bottles are available in paper covered 12-packs which are favorite buys of mine.

What brands should you buy? In all honesty, all of the Munich brands are pretty solid as long as they aren't old. That means Augustiner, Hofbrau, Spaten/Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Lowenbrau, and Paulaner. All of those except Augustiner are pretty common imports. Those are a good starting place. Yes there are a TON more (Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Schlenkerla, Mahr's, Schneider, Rothaus, Jever, etc.) but starting with one of the Munich 6 is easy and usually safe. From there, you can branch out to the hundreds of other options.

21. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

Augustiner LagierBier Helles

Too bad you can't get Augustiner from Salzburg that is fantastic I think I have been to the Biergarden at the brewery about 50 times

22. Anything Schlenkerla and/or Weihenstephaner are AMAZING!

23. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (355) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

Spaten, Hacker-Pschoor and Hofbrau are pretty much all I need- the HofBrau Oktoberfest is one of my favorites.

24. Weihenstephaner makes the top dunkelwizen in the world according to Beer Advocate, and I think it deserves that rating. I had their hefewizen with pan seared chicken and 3 cheese tortellini, and it was out of this world awesome!